The New Skitch is not good!

Dersu

Idea

Since I've updated my skitch recently and it opened as the new Evernote purchased product I am so bummed out. All of my favorite simple functionalities are gone:

Can't drag into illustrator or psd docs as you could before

can't drag into gmail as before

doesn't snap shots quickly and save in skitch program on computer (you MUST sync with evernote)

you can't simple hit (command + S) and have the thing save and then go to your history without having to sync to evernote. what a pain if you dont have internet! and i dont want an evernote account sync every freaking save!

I purchased skitch in between it being free and then paid for and have had the program since it began. This is so sad that it is working like this and that you must purchase evernote space to use it. As far as im concerned if it isn't made so that you can save images in the history and drag into docs etc as before, then I will move on and use another program. Why were these decisions made? Please respond!

longtime paying skitch user

-Dersu

10 replies to this idea

@Dersu

First off thanks for being a loyal customer. Trust me when I say we hear your concerns, take them seriously, and are always trying to figure out how to ensure Skitch remains a great app.

Specific answers to your questions are below:

Since I've updated my skitch recently and it opened as the new Evernote purchased product I am so bummed out. All of my favorite simple functionalities are gone:

Can't drag into illustrator or psd docs as you could before

Are you using Skitch Mac 2.0.4? We just tested this and had no issues using the Drag Me tab to import images into either Photoshop or Illustrator. We tested on a Mac running 10.8.2 and the latest versions for Photoshop and Illustrator and had no issues with either.

can't drag into gmail as before

As another user stated, this has been raised in another thread, but the short answer is from our research this is largely due to conflicts between the OS, browser, and the site. Google makes changes to Gmail all of the time which may break functionality with browsers and other apps/OS. When you use the Drag Me tab in Skitch, Skitch essentially turns over to the local OS the file and at that point he OS takes over uploading the file to the web service. Skitch has nothing to do with the transfer at that point. I recommend you try Skitch 2.0.4 along with ensuring you have the latest version of your browser and trying again. We keep watching this issue, but often cannot reproduce, or find that the issue isn't with Skitch vs. the Browser, the site, or the OS.

doesn't snap shots quickly and save in skitch program on computer (you MUST sync with evernote) you can't simple hit (command + S) and have the thing save and then go to your history without having to sync to evernote. what a pain if you dont have internet! and i dont want an evernote account sync every freaking save!

In regards to the speed of snapping a shot, I again recommend updating to 2.0.4 and seeing if you feel if there is a speed issue. We have done a lot of performance fixes as part of 2.0.3 and 2.0.4 and the app performs quite quickly when taking a snap.

As for saving in Evernote, as Keith addressed in his post and I addressed in the forums, this was a decision that we felt was important to do and aligns with our longer term goals for Skitch and Evernote. Users have the ability to not store the file in Evernote (or ask to save for each file), and you can always drag the file to whatever directory you want and access it later.

By syncing with Evernote users gain the ability to sync across every Skitch client (Mac, iOS, Android, Windows 8, and Windows 32), sharing across a robust architecture, a secure storage for backups and management, and the ability to take advantage of the entire Evernote family of apps.

Creating an account is pretty easy, and depending upon your usage, you may or may not ever hit Evernote's monthly limits. A free account may be all you need while letting you take advantage of the entire Evernote service and products.

With regards to dragging I thin Dersu may be referring to an inability to drag from the main Skitch window to the Desktop or another app. It does not seem to be possible. I agree this is not optimal as it creates at least an extra 2 steps.

Related: the closer Skitch gets to what it was before the update, the better it gets.

@jcarman - Are you experiencing any drag and drop issues?

The Drag Me function of 2.0.4 works when dragging the file to the desktop, the latest version of the Adobe suite of products, and gmail (provided your browser behaves and you are not running any conflicting extensions).

If you are having an issue please open a support ticket with our customer service. We're doing our best to figure out what the issues are, but need more information to figure out the problems.

I have to add to this thread, and hopefully Joe will be able to help me. I'm completely struggling with the new version, even though I like the new markup integration.

I'm in mobile app development and my main use case is as following.

1. Take a screenshot on the iOS device

2. Annotate it in Skitch

3. Let it sync automatically to Skitch on OSX

4. Drag and drop it to Redmine, HipChat or whatever tool I need to get the problem solved.

This flow seems to be broken with the latest versions on iOS and OSX:

• "Auto"-Sync only happens after having selected it in the sharing option on the screen
  • Saved images are not immediately updated in Skitch's gallery, which may to repeated savings
  • No information in the app on what images are in sync with Evernote
  • No possibility to delete images within Skitch
  • Skitch syncs to default notebook in Evernote. I have to manually move the images to the Skitch notebook.
  • Sync between Evernote and Skitch on OS X only happens in one direction. Therefore images synced from phone to Evernote are not available in Skitch on OS X.
  • In the iOS app: I have to tap new to get back to "main" screen

Is it me? Or is my workflow no longer compatible with the way the Evernote/Skitch Product Management wants customers to use the app?

I appreciate your help. I'm happy to give additional details on my use case.

@Dave

You are correct there have been some changes which would alter your flow. If you take a snap and then save it to Evernote (regardless if you annotate or not), then it will save to your Evernote account (currently goes into your default directory, but we'll have an option to chose in the next update).

From there you can do one of three things:

1) Find your snap in Evernote and then use Evernote's Markup capability to annotate (or edit your existing annotations) and then from there either drag and drop into any app, or share the note link.

2) Find your snap in Evernote and then drag and drop it into Skitch to annotate (or edit your existing annotations) and then from there drag and drop into any app, or back to Evernote, etc.

3) Do any combination of the 1 and 2 as often as you'd like.

This is assuming you want to use Evernote. You could also save the annotation to your camera roll and then sync that with your Mac and access your files that way; import the annotated image into Dropbox, or any other app on your iOS device, etc.

The new Skitch for iOS saves all images as a Skitch rich meaning, so long as nothing flattens or compresses the image, they will remain re-editable no matter how to share or move them around. 

Thanks @Joe for the prompt reply!

I guess I have to adapt my workflow based on the facts you stated. 

Skitch loses almost all value on OSX. That said, I can understand if you focus on Evernote and let Skitch die over time. It's just sad for me to loose a perfect solution.

Two wishes to make the new Evernote solution almost as good as the Skitch setup:

• Automatically save the image name, which can be defined in the iOS app, in Evernote when syncing.
  • Add the drag & drop solution (incl. file type selection) of Skitch to images in Evernote. With it included, I'm more than happy to get rid of Skitch. 

@Dave 

Thanks for the suggestions. We're working on improving the Evernote product, but one important thing to point out is we are not planning on combining Skitch into Evernote, or vice versa. We are planning on developing each app as separate products with their own purpose. 

Skitch itself will be freeing itself up to focus on being a part of anyone's workflow when they need to mark something up in order to communicate visually. We are trying to make Skitch a fast and simple app that can generate content and get it to the receiver so you can deliver your message. Evernote will just be one, very important, way to communicate.

Evernote on the other hand will continue to be the great second brain it is. Adding Markup is a way to help you remember and make smarter decisions inside of Evernote. The Evernote client might inherit some of Skitch's functionality, but most likely will not be 1 for 1, since that will probably not make sense given the two apps different purposes.

Archived