(Archived) Disable embedded browser in Evernote iOS

Ken Raetz

For personal reasons, I have my iPad restrictions turned on with the Safari browser app disabled. I use a different browser which provides some parental controls, filtering, monitoring, etc. However, with the evernote iOS app, you can create a new note and insert any URL. This makes available an embedded web browsing capability, which bypasses the filtered browser app (it is an embedded version of safari, I suppose). Is there anyway to disable or password protect this feature?

Thanks!

Ken

• Level 5*

Hi. Welcome to the forums. I think this has come up before, and I do not remember us reaching a workaround solution. The browser is not embedded, per se, but Evernote accesses the native browser (not Safari, but Webkit) when a hyperlink is found. From a parent's perspective, the difference is irrelevant, I suppose.

Apple's restriction settings are not fine-tuned enough to handle this. My suggestion would be to turn off wifi and not tell your children the password. Alternatively, you could pin lock Evernote (Premium feature). However, if they have Evernote accounts, then they can go through that to the Web.

As you probably already know, this behavior is fairly common in iOS apps (usually with banner ads), and until Apple fine tunes their settings, I think it will remain a loophole that you cannot do much to control short of having kids use it in the room under your supervision.

Thanks GrumpyMonkey. Yeah, I use a different note-taking app called NotesPlus, which combines inking and typing, and they have enabled access to the native browser as well. They eventually added a passcode that is set in the app which essentially only allows that feature if you know the passcode. This still allows use of the app without access to that browser. Bummer on Evernote not having that same feature. I love the product and use it in iOS and Windows.

It is interesting to me. Some iOS apps that have embedded URLs simply open safari directly (like e-mail for example). This would be a desirable feature for me, because when you tap on the link and safari is restricted, nothing happens. Then, you must copy the link and paste it in your filtered browser to use it. A little bit of a hassle, but worth it to keep the protection in place that we feel as parents is necessary.

Thanks again!

• Level 5*

Thanks GrumpyMonkey. Yeah, I use a different note-taking app called NotesPlus, which combines inking and typing, and they have enabled access to the native browser as well. They eventually added a passcode that is set in the app which essentially only allows that feature if you know the passcode. This still allows use of the app without access to that browser. Bummer on Evernote not having that same feature. I love the product and use it in iOS and Windows.

It is interesting to me. Some iOS apps that have embedded URLs simply open safari directly (like e-mail for example). This would be a desirable feature for me, because when you tap on the link and safari is restricted, nothing happens. Then, you must copy the link and paste it in your filtered browser to use it. A little bit of a hassle, but worth it to keep the protection in place that we feel as parents is necessary.

Thanks again!

You're welcome. Knowing the loopholes is useful. A pin code for the webkit access would also be a nice solution. The developers read these forums, so they'll see this thread.

• 4 weeks later...

Grumpymonkey y second ken's comments. I am and Evernote user. I think your product is superb. But please allow parental controls that allow families to share in the Evernote experience with safety. Please keep families in mind as you develop your product.

• 4 weeks later...

I would also like to hop in and agree. Please add a password access feature to the browser in the iOS app. I will not be using Evernote until this is added as I don't want access to a browser. Until I started using the web clipper, I didn't even realize this was an issue. It is such a bummer. I LOVE Evernote and am sad to have to be deleting this app.

Does anyone know if Evernote will actually address this issue? They seem to be really responsive to comments, so I hope they do. Honestly, Evernote is an amazing product.

• 1 month later...

I must add to this discussion and say that unfortunately, I've too have also deleted the iPhone and iPad Evernote apps and am in the process of searching for a different GTD/note solution.  Evernote seemed to "have it all".  However, with more and more apps including the "webkit access" (Evernote is not the first/only app to do so), this is going to be an ongoing issue.

Does anyone know how to make a direct Evernote feature request?

• Level 5*

Does anyone know how to make a direct Evernote feature request?

Evernote staff do read all posts, though they do not always reply. What is your request?

You can also make a feature request by opening a support request.

My request would be a feature that allows you to disable the embedded browser and, if desired, set a unique password (different from the main program one) required to re-enable the embedded browser.  I don't mind cutting and pasting links into safari.

Or something that basically allows the user to password-protect (or permanently disable) the unfiltered web access that is embedded in the iOS app.

I very much support the mentioned feature.  Our company has just realized this (in our opinion) huge flaw.  We will need to consider if this is the time to end our relationship with Evernote.

• 3 months later...

Very much want to add my support of this topic. Right now, I no longer have the evernote app on my phone. I miss it incredibly!!! But until a feature like this is implemented, I won't be using it. I do use an app called "SmartEver" (iOS) that allows me to shut off the internal links. I like the password protected version much better, but for now. Smart Ever and the mobile version of evernote is a clumsy workaround. However, neither of those two options allow a person to open the encrypted portion of the note.

So yes, please add this feature!!!

I would like to disable Evernote built in browser too because I always open links in Dolphin anyway (it's my default browser on iOS). I would prefer if Evernote just switched me directly instead of loading it's own built in browser first.

Archived