Anyone know how to rename a business notebook for everyone?

EdH

• Level 5*

I can rename it on my client, but it doesn't change the name in the business library for others, and I cannot figure out in the admin console how to rename it. I have a notebook that will get frequent emails to it and I want to change the name from the 20+ characters, including 3 spaces, to a shorter name with no spaces to enable easier emailing.

Am I just not seeing it in the admin panel, or is something else going on?

Hi Ed,

Here we go:

Windows

Change name in program

Makes it to the Web

Doesn't make it to the Library

Doesn't make it to another user

Mac

Change name in program

Makes it to the web

Makes it to the Library

Doesn't make it to another user (but does show in their library)

So whilst the Mac is better, it still has a problem.

I reckon you have found a bug there Ed.

Regards

Chris

• 3 months later...
When you change the name of a Business Notebook, it will only change on your account. The change will not reflect on the accounts of others. This is to avoid any confusion or perceived data loss when a notebook suddenly changes names. In the same vein, each user is free to rename the Business Notebooks they join and these changes will not be synced throughout all shared users.

If you would like to push the name change to all users, you would need to un-share with all users, change the notebook, and then reshare the notebook. Additionally, you could email all users (in the share notebook menu) notifying them of the change in notebook title and that they should update accordingly.
  • Level 5*

It really shouldn't work this way IMHO Brickey. Corporate folders need to be consistent. If the name used to be "WalMart Purchase Orders" and after a few weeks, you change the purpose to "North American Purchase Orders" then the old name is wrong. Furthermore, when you tell people "yeah, grab the new POs out of the North American PO folder in Evernote" they won't know what you are talking about.

And unsharing is a HUGE deal, especially as the folder gets large. Say the folder is 3GB in size and you have 10 people sharing it.

Two concepts to rename it.

1. Rename folder. EN pushes new name out. Done.

Or, the following:

1. Unshare the notebook. Wait for that unsharing to sync down.
  2. Wait for all 10 user's copies of Evernote to purge 3GB of data from their EXB file. This can take 20-30min depending on how many notes it is and how fast their computer is. Evernote is unusable when this happens, and the rest of the OS and other apps can be sluggish.
  3. Share the newly named notebook or publish to the directory.
  4. Tell everyone to join the notebook
  5. Wait for 30GB of data to be pulled down. Again, at least 30min per user, and much MUCH longer if several do it at once. Evernote is sluggish at best when this happens, and bandwidth for the company is severely hit.

Method 2 is a huge time and resource killer, and part of it is when EN drops a shared notebook, it goes nuts with the username-.exb-journal file that thrashes the HD for a while.

So while I will concede it is not a bug, it is a major design flaw in the corporate environment.

As you can see, we have several notebooks here named wrong because we won't go through steps 1-5. It is easier to remember that "Notebook X" has nothing to do with X and instead deals with Y.

Brickey, your response is disheartening, the entire reason my company switched to Business (from Personal Premium account where we shared individual notebooks) was to enable a centralized library. :)

The above design flaw, together with the inability to be reminded new business notebooks are available in the library, leaves me in doubt about the added benefit Business Membership provides.

How do we formally request these features to be added?

Cheers,

B

If it helps to understand, imagine using the same notebook every day for work, and then you login one day and the notebook is gone because a coworker changed it. If you have a number of notebooks, it could be troublesome to find that notebook again.  Evernote Business is designed to be less reliant on file structure and flexible for different users' naming conventions. 

As for formally requesting a feature, you just did :D. I've added your feedback to this topic internally. Thank you for providing it. 

• Level 5*

Brickey, an Admin should be able to rename a notebook. Networks are flexible. File names, share names, other company resources. Things need to adapt. I'd argue users shouldn't be able to change the name of a business notebook once shared or used by others, but admins should be able to.

I think I gave a pretty reasonable use case as to where it really is broken. To say that someone might be confused is not a good response. You argue that we can tell them to unsubscribe to a notebook, wait for a name change, and resubscribe (along with all of the hard drive thrashing and potentially hours of delays depending on the size of the notebook won't confuse them, but sending them an email saying "Effective May 1, 2013, Notebook X will be renamed Notebook Y" is too confusing?

And users can pick naming conventions for their notebooks, but in business notebooks, the Admin (company) should pick the naming schemes. Otherwise you have this kind of mess:

• Toy Orders - 2013
  • 2014 TOY orders
  • 2015 purchase orders for Toys
  • POs for Toys in 2016

Put those, and hundreds of other notebooks out there and it is utter chaos. An admin should come in there and clean it all up. But today, that involves unsubscribing to 4 notebooks, renaming, and then making sure everyone resubscribes.

You guys can not allow this as you see fit. It is your product and it came with no warranties of satisfaction. But don't say the current method is to avoid troublesome issues. It causes far more than it avoids.

The suggestion I provided, with regards to unsharing and changing the name of the notebook, was more of a workaround than anything else. That said, I understand what you're saying, and I thank you, we appreciate the feedback. I've passed this along to the product team.

• 2 weeks later...

The Unsharing, changing the name and resharing work around does not work for me. When I go to share the notebook it shows only the original name.

Unfortunately I used a very generic name when I first created this notebook (Forms) -- and I now seem to be stuck with that name.

• 1 month later...

I'd like to second this.

Business notebooks are for business purposes and should have the same name across the organization.

We've implemented EB because we have users that aren't good at admin tasks (but are brilliant at what their main job is) and so we have to make the admin side as simple for them as possible.

Additionally some users are careless so may create a shared notebook with a typo in the Title, obviously as Admin we want to correct that and push the correction out to everyone else.

If it helps to understand, imagine using the same notebook every day for work, and then you login one day and the notebook is gone because a coworker changed it.

I can imagine that, it's called running a business.  When the business make a change it needs to propagate across the business.  So if the manager renames a notebook that was called Cases to Projects, that's what the employees need to see so they are all on the same page, and management sends out a notification if they feel the need to avoid confusion.  What about when someone changes a note, does that change or does it stay the same because it would confuse the employee :P?

I'm going to guess this is a bug, or was overlooked, or ignored because it would have required separating notebook write permissions from notebook naming permissions.  I refuse to believe this was intentional because if it is that means someone involved with the business product is so far out in left field they've left the ballpark.

Unfortunately I used a very generic name when I first created this notebook (Forms) -- and I now seem to be stuck with that name.

Just imagine how confused the employees would be if they don't see that generic name tomorrow ;).

I just want to say it's SO disappointing to read this type of thing, I was THIS close to pulling the plug on EN for business a second time, and trying to make it work because of the things it does so well, in spite of glaring limitations like not being able to share stacks and not being able to nest tags on the business product.  But this type of stuff is so crazy and dysfunctional I realize it would be a total waste of our time.  And I can't wait for a year while EN decides if this "really is an issue".

Why oh why couldn't EN bring out a business product that did exactly what the personal product does, but with the obvious thing a business teams need - good management of users and permissions.  That's ALL it needed!  Do that and you'd have had a KILLER product.  You already had the PERFECT blueprint for it with your personal product.

Well, in spite of my rant above, after spending 2 hours Googling and looking at alternative options, which are next to non-existent for those of us that want a desktop client and mobile app support, I decided to give it another go.  There are so many aspects of the product that are elegant and outstanding, so I'll try to adapt and hope that EN listens to feedback and addresses these primary issues.  I'd love to be part of a business group that gets to interact with developers and give feedback if EN has or were to start anything like that.

Not being able to rename business notebooks will become a burden to my business.

Perhaps a message in the activity log or by email to announce a notebook name change could resolve any confusion from users.

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to give this one a bump and will continue to do so until it is fixed.  This is a fundamental design flaw/bug...whatever you want to call it.  It is a must fix for business users.

• Level 5*

I just want to give this one a bump and will continue to do so until it is fixed.  This is a fundamental design flaw/bug...whatever you want to call it.  It is a must fix for business users.

Agreed. This is like having a network admin name a folder on the network, and then needing to rename it, but everyone in the company sees the old name and can rename it on their machine to whatever they want. It makes no sense at all.

• 5 weeks later...

another bump!

the thing is, i'm new to evernote business and trying a way to organize our business notebooks. It's a proces, which can't be done correctly in one go. So i'm in the proces of figuring out what work for us. I would be very helpfull if i can rename the notebooks, without constantly moving around all of my notes.

cheers,

ronald

• 1 month later...

Any update on this? I actually thought this was resolved a long time ago, but apparently it's not. Right now, I've got a notebook called "XXXX - Some Project", because at the time of creating the project, I didn't know about the project number. Now I do have a project number. Changed it locally, pushed to web, all fine. But when I try to publish it to the business library, it still shows XXXX.

Not funny. I guess I will have to delete the notebook and recreate it.

@brickey, your solution at the very beginning of this thread doesn't work. This notebook was never shared and it is still called XXXX

Ok, now I just did what I said:

1. Renamed the business notebook "XXXX - Project Name" to "XXXX"
  2. Created a new business notebook called "XXXX - Project Name"
  3. Moved all notes from "XXXX" to "XXXX - Project Name"
  4. Removed "XXXX" from my notebooks
  5. Sync (cos it takes time ...)

Result:

• First a sync error. Exclamation mark.
  • No note in the new notebook "XXXX - Project Name"
  • Ok, fine, so let's try again. Re-join "XXXX"
  • Alas, no note in there too.
  • Neither in the trash.

Man, I'm so sick and tired of these flaws ...

Edit: Just filed a bug: Ticket# 167829 - Moving notes - notes disappeared  (request #167829). Funny enough: There's no way to upload the logs ...

I don't know if Evernote read these threads (big mistake if they don't), but they really need to change their mind set if they're selling Evernote as a business app.

I've been writing business software for nearly 20 years and our company prides itself on making sure that a bug is fixed within a week of a customer reporting it - often fixed, tested and rolled out on the same day.

I don't think we're particularly special, it's just what is needed and expected in a professional environment.

We still do scheduled roll-outs, but that's for new features and to roll up the bug fixes for those customers that didn't want to apply the intermediate release. We also give our customers access to our new feature roadmap, so that they can see what's going to be in the next release as soon as we have decided.

Come on Evernote - if you want to be taken seriously in the business world you need to step up to the mark and treat your business customers as clients not consumers.

• Level 5*

I don't know if Evernote read these threads (big mistake if they don't), but they really need to change their mind set if they're selling Evernote as a business app.

I've been writing business software for nearly 20 years and our company prides itself on making sure that a bug is fixed within a week of a customer reporting it - often fixed, tested and rolled out on the same day.

I don't think we're particularly special, it's just what is needed and expected in a professional environment.

We still do scheduled roll-outs, but that's for new features and to roll up the bug fixes for those customers that didn't want to apply the intermediate release. We also give our customers access to our new feature roadmap, so that they can see what's going to be in the next release as soon as we have decided.

Come on Evernote - if you want to be taken seriously in the business world you need to step up to the mark and treat your business customers as clients not consumers.

This isn't a bug. It is a design flaw. THey wanted people to be able to personalize their own notebook names. Makes no sense in a business context though.

I sent in a support ticket about this very issue. I had renamed several business note books on En v5. windows, synced them and then found that they retained the old name in the Business Library. 

The way to do it, and it worked fine for me, is to log in to your evernote web, rename the notebook in the web interface, go to your business library and you will find the notebook has been renamed. For whatever reason you cannot rename your business notebook on your local client as it will not change in the business library. 

Once you have changed the notebook name on the web client and checked in your admin console that it has changed in the library you can then open you local client and sync. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just spitballing here, but this could be solved by having official names for business notebooks which are editable by administrators and allowing users to create their own "nicknames" for the notebooks on their end, local to their account.

Looking for a way to solve both problems here because I see it from both sides. At the moment the implementation is weird.

Others have given plenty of examples why. The most pressing one for me is having multiple users with inconsistent business notebook names. "Which notebook is that in? Oh. I haven't joined that one." "Yes you did, you just have an old name for yours."

Not easy to explain to 40-some users and not convenient to work around.

• Level 5*

I don't see why users should be allowed to rename at all though. Do users get to rename shares and other company resources in their Active Directory?

IF they do get to rename, then I say they should be able to rename the notes too. That way the 'Fiscal 2014 Budget' note in the 'Accounting Department' notebook can be called the 'Next years dollars-n-stuff' in the 'Things for people who count stuff' notebook by the CEO on his Evernote client.

• Level 5*

Just spitballing here, but this could be solved by having official names for business notebooks which are editable by administrators and allowing users to create their own "nicknames" for the notebooks on their end, local to their account.

Looking for a way to solve both problems here because I see it from both sides. At the moment the implementation is weird.

Others have given plenty of examples why. The most pressing one for me is having multiple users with inconsistent business notebook names. "Which notebook is that in? Oh. I haven't joined that one." "Yes you did, you just have an old name for yours."

They don't have an old name. You (the administrator) have a new name. If the administrator doesn't change the notebook name, then there are no problems, right? 

Personally, I think Evernote ought to give administrators the option to have global control over this kind of thing, but I don't think the current implementation is weird.

They don't have an old name. You (the administrator) have a new name. If the administrator doesn't change the notebook name, then there are no problems, right? 

Personally, I think Evernote ought to give administrators the option to have global control over this kind of thing, but I don't think the current implementation is weird.

I think their should be a master admin role designation, higher than the admin. In our small corp we have everyone as admin. It would allow only I, the one who implements and does everything with Evernote, sole access to the admin console. From their, click manage notebooks, and be able to edit the names within the admin console. If we can change sharing privelages and other things, why can we not change the name of the Notebook in admin console?

This is a MASSIVE flaw in the design of this otherwise excellent product and it has caused me (as a very small business owner) huge problems already.

It's bot just about being able to have consistency across the workforce, it's about being able to adapt and change notebook names as your business changes over time. 

Combine this with not being able to share stacks... well it just seems crazy.

Please realise that 95% of businesses out there manage their information networks centrally and don't want to work in the way that Evernote offices clearly do!

This is a MASSIVE flaw in the design of this otherwise excellent product and it has caused me (as a very small business owner) huge problems already.

Combine this with not being able to share stacks... well it just seems crazy.

Another person who evidently just can't appreciate what a wonderful "feature" this is.  But hey don't worry, they just rolled out a massive update to business that had to involve hundreds or thousands of man hours of development work.  Didn't fix a single one of the major things that need fixing that business admins have been pleading with them for, they know what's best for you.

Indeed this is such a massive flaw that it should have been fixed within weeks.  But your premise assumes that we're talking about a company that listens openly, recognized a massive flaw, and corrects it.  Instead EN tells you it's a "feature" that was "requested".  That's laughable of course, but it at least tells you what you're up against.  I'm sure it will be fixed at some point....

• 1 month later...

Ok, now I just did what I said:

1. Renamed the business notebook "XXXX - Project Name" to "XXXX"
  2. Created a new business notebook called "XXXX - Project Name"
  3. Moved all notes from "XXXX" to "XXXX - Project Name"
  4. Removed "XXXX" from my notebooks
  5. Sync (cos it takes time ...)

Result:

• First a sync error. Exclamation mark.
  • No note in the new notebook "XXXX - Project Name"
  • Ok, fine, so let's try again. Re-join "XXXX"
  • Alas, no note in there too.
  • Neither in the trash.

Man, I'm so sick and tired of these flaws ...

Edit: Just filed a bug: Ticket# 167829 - Moving notes - notes disappeared  (request #167829). Funny enough: There's no way to upload the logs ...

Loss of business related notes is a very very bad thing, that would stop me using such a service. What about regular EN database backups? Would this prevent the loss of important notes and files?

• 1 month later...

Any news on this issue?

Another new EN business user suffering a bit of disbelief that I'm stuck with my first decision for notebook names. Naming conventions evolve and mistakes get made.

Today's headache - I have a number of HR related notebooks. I can't put them in a stack (no such thing in EN business) and I can't update notebooks with a prefix. Is tagging really the only way for me to associated these notebooks together?

• Level 5*

Any news on this issue?

Another new EN business user suffering a bit of disbelief that I'm stuck with my first decision for notebook names. Naming conventions evolve and mistakes get made.

Today's headache - I have a number of HR related notebooks. I can't put them in a stack (no such thing in EN business) and I can't update notebooks with a prefix. Is tagging really the only way for me to associated these notebooks together?

You can put them in stacks in Evernote 4.x, which is another reason not to upgrade to 5.0.

• 3 weeks later...

Any news on this issue?

You can stack in EN Business, but it reverts to a Personal Stack as opposed to a Business Stack... See their reply when I brought this to their attention when I first used EN Biz.

My Query:

When I create a stack of business notebooks, it defaults the stack to brown, should it not default that stack (business notebooks) to the grey for business?

Is it something I have done wrong?

EN Support Reply:

Thanks for your question about this.

This is a great question – and a good observation you've made. While you can stack Business Notebooks in your account, the top folder color will always be brown and note grey. This is because stacks / the act of stacking is a personal-viewing option only.

In other words, if you have other people that are joined to your Business account, and they have access to the same Notebooks that you do, all users can independently stack the Notebooks however they choose. In short, Business stacks are not currently shareable throughout the account.

Does this make sense?

It's for this reason that I personally prefer to view my Notebooks in List View instead of Grid View.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions I can assist with in answering.

. In short, Business stacks are not currently shareable throughout the account.

Unbelievable, I stack my notebooks (as the admin) vary carefully

Customer Projects

-Customer #1p

-Customer #2p

-Customer #3p

Customer Finances

-Customer #1f

-Customer #2f

-Customer #3f

Doesn't really makes sense out of context.

Come on Evernote, you're pushing this as a business solution, but it seems you want our money, but aren't prepared to put in the work :(

• Level 5*

Honestly, this thread is > 1 year old now, and nothing happened in the meantime. No statement, nothing. Ah, sorry, I'm wrong: We learned about new partnerships, fancy invite tactics to get free months of EN.

Frustrated? Yes.

There are way too many things on the business side that are taking too long, and not sure how much of it is the fault of EN5 vs the business infractructure. The tag issue is a train wreck, unless you have 50 notes and 3 tags. Then it works ok. 

We have over 30,000 notes in our business accounts and enough tags taht I have to page down at least 30 times. Why anyone thinks if I am in my personal notebooks I want to see any of them, or if I am in a Finance notebook that has only a few hundred notes and a dozen tags, that I want to see all 800+ tags, is beyond me. That is why I am sticking with EN4 for now as it doesn't have that issue, it works as it should.

But the renaming, that just doesn't work at all.  :angry:

There *is* indeed some rename functionality in Sharepoint ... 

Sorry for EN, but ENB is a pain. Another user here mentioned how hard it was to convince management. Same here. Full of enthusiasm, but no trial period. CHF 170.--/Month (not that much, but hey ...). Now I have to crawl back and apologise: "sorry guys, we have to migrate everything to Sharepoint. yeah, you'll have to learn how to use it, but you've learnt how to use EN too, right?"

Not good. I'm in a ranting mood, apologies...

I wish I had read this before we brought EN Business into play.

Aside from issues we have had with just getting notebooks converted to Business Notebooks (and completely sync'd ---a problem that is still on-going), and adding new biz notebooks...this inability to commonly rename shared BIZ notebooks is  a  BIG DEAL.  It makes very little sense in a day-to-day working environment in which multiple people must access/update/act upon commonly shared resources in accordance with instructions/directives concerning the location(s) of those resources.

Nothing to address thsi problem it in over a year is a long time...hope they can do better, soon.

• 1 month later...

Was getting ready to convert my business to EN Business - After this thread I will find another option. I MUST be able to name, rename and stack folders for Employees as the Admin. I have a specific work flow and way I want things handled - It is not their business.... 

• Level 5*

Was getting ready to convert my business to EN Business - After this thread I will find another option. I MUST be able to name, rename and stack folders for Employees as the Admin. I have a specific work flow and way I want things handled - It is not their business.... 

That is the way to vote Susan. We are considering alternatives here too. I haven't seen an improvement to ENB in months. I honestly wonder if it is still being developed.

• 4 months later...

That is the way to vote Susan. We are considering alternatives here too. I haven't seen an improvement to ENB in months. I honestly wonder if it is still being developed.

I can't see any interaction with Evernote Employees here, too. They seem to be pretty uninterested.

FYI, I am going to have a chat with one of the ENB responsibles here in Zurich next Monday. After having escalated a case where the support staff asked me to re-install Evernote, he agreed to visit me in our office here. He postponed quite a few times, but this time it could really happen. 

I could create a google sheet with all the issues I have (no, not an evernote note, too insecure); would you like to add your topics to it?

Edit: Here it is. Please don't mess around with it :-)

Cheers

André

• Level 5*

Fantastic idea Andre!

For consideration: Add a column for version so the EN team can at least know the last revision that was tested with a particular issue.

• Level 5*

Thanks for letting us visit your wailing wall (though, I am not sure the title is exactly appropriate given the religious and historical significance of the site in Jerusalem). I have to admit that I am not optimistic about seeing the changes suggested, because some of them seem quite alien to the current Evernote system, but I think a lot of the suggestions would go a long ways towards improving the product. I hope you don't mind that I added a couple of my own at the bottom. They also seem unlikely to be implemented, but I would like to raise the issues in as many forums as possible. Let us know how your meeting with the representative goes. 

• Level 5*

By the way Andre, I have my own business contact within Evernote. I'll be sharing this link with him as well once I go through a few of my other bugs/irritations with the business portion and get them on there.

I like the "Voting" column, just wish there was a better way to do that in GDocs.

By the way Andre, I have my own business contact within Evernote. I'll be sharing this link with him as well once I go through a few of my other bugs/irritations with the business portion and get them on there.

I like the "Voting" column, just wish there was a better way to do that in GDocs.

Well, it's not that important anyway. There are much better tools (like uservoice) that could be used for something like this, but EN apparently refuses to collect end user's complaints. They may browse the forum every now and then ...

• Level 5*

Sorry Ed. I accidentally "resolved"  your question without answering it. It is my understanding that Business notebooks you have not joined cannot be searched. I just gave it a try, and it didn't work for me. These are notebooks I have been granted access to in the past, so there is no reason why I wouldn't be able to see inside of them. Perhaps the administrator has more power than me. Could you explain to me what search there is (mentioned on line 32 of the Google Doc)?

Sorry Ed. I accidentally "resolved"  your question without answering it. It is my understanding that Business notebooks you have not joined cannot be searched. I just gave it a try, and it didn't work for me. These are notebooks I have been granted access to in the past, so there is no reason why I wouldn't be able to see inside of them. Perhaps the administrator has more power than me. Could you explain to me what search there is (mentioned on line 32 of the Google Doc)?

I have reopened this comment. It's the first time I'm using Google Docs, and I'm impressed. Damn, I'm really impressed.

Sidenote: I played around with Google keep today. It's still far from usable for me, evernote is way more mature (in a certain sense). But hey: I had my browser open and my android mobile, both with keep loaded. I immediately saw the changes on my mobile when I typed in my browser. Real time. Wow!

• Level 5*

Well, to be fair, Google has done something pretty amazing here with real-time collaboration among users from all over the world. I kind of wonder how many other services could actually pull it off this well, and Evernote might well be out of its depth if it tries to do simultaneous syncing and so forth. A third-party integration might be the best solution. There are (or were) some that could integrate with Evernote and produce real-time collaboration. I haven't done enough research lately to see them, though. Google Docs has really blown everything else out of the water.

Google Keep is a bust, in my opinion, though Google used to have a headstart on everyone with its early iteration of Google Notebooks (I think it was called). Some of us were burned by that one -- it didn't work out very well. We'll see if Google is really committed to the app -- OneNote and Evernote are pretty far ahead of it right now.

• Level 5*

• In the left pane, go to the business section - at the bottom before Atlas. (This is on Windows.)
  • Click on the Business tab
  • In the search bar at the top, do your search term
  • Presto, a useless stack of post it notes that has your search term, but is utterly useless.

Oh, as far as I know, it will only search notebooks you can join, but just haven't. It won't search notebooks you don't have permission to join, so for the most part, those published in the open directory.

• Level 5*

• In the left pane, go to the business section - at the bottom before Atlas. (This is on Windows.)
  • Presto, a useless stack of post it notes that has your search term, but is utterly useless.

Oh, as far as I know, it will only search notebooks you can join, but just haven't. It won't search notebooks you don't have permission to join, so for the most part, those published in the open directory.

Actually, that is pretty nice for my uses, though I don't know why they make it so clumsy with the thumbnails. Surely, they could improve upon this.

• Level 5*

Actually, that is pretty nice for my uses, though I don't know why they make it so clumsy with the thumbnails. Surely, they could improve upon this.

I mentioned it in the forum when they posted about the feature. I just did a search and it returned over 5,700 results. You cannot sort them by anything to get the most recent, the ones with attachments, or anything else. It is like having my search results printed on post-it-notes then dumped in the floor.

LIke so many other Evernote features, it works great for someone with 3 notebooks and 100 notes total. Not so much with someone that has dozens of notebooks and tens of thousands of notes.

• Level 5*

I see. I don't have enough in the EB library (community?) right now to encounter that, but I think if I dumped all of my notes in there, it would be hopeless without the regular view (sorting and so forth). Strange that the place with the most notes and potentially the least amount of organization is so difficult to sort through.

Hi Andre,

Not sure if you spotted my note on the doc, Line 40.

The Outlook plugin, does show up Business Tags, but after a short period of time. They don't come up straight away as the Personal ones do.

Regards

Chris

Hi Andre,

Not sure if you spotted my note on the doc, Line 40.

The Outlook plugin, does show up Business Tags, but after a short period of time. They don't come up straight away as the Personal ones do.

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris

Just seen it. Is this only on very first use, or do I always have to wait? I actually stopped using the EN plugin because of this, and because of the weird meta data it's producing ("created by <sender of the mail>")...

CheersAndré

FYI, I added an indicator to the spreadsheet to separate business-only-issues from overall EN issues. I'll see the ENB representative today at 1pm, and I'll go through the ENB specific things first.

@EdH - please share it with your contact :)

Thanks for your help all!

Cheers

André

Gents

I had a long + good face to face meeting with the ENB guy [1] this afternoon. We weren't able to go through the full list, but we had a look at certain points. I as well shared the list with him, he's going to pass it to his collegues. I also pointed out that visiting this forum from time to time would be a good idea, even if there's a dedicated team that should do this.

Again, thanks a lot for your help. We've done something that EN should have done a long time ago. Maybe we get some X months free ;-)

Cheers

André

[1] I won't mention his name, forgot to ask him about this

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update: There's no update. I haven't heard anything from my ENB contact in the meantime. Holiday seasons? I doubt.

I guess I should chase him up, probably next week. Don't really feel like a valuable customer at the moment ...

@EdH - Any news on your side?

Cheers

André

• Level 5*

Quick update: There's no update. I haven't heard anything from my ENB contact in the meantime. Holiday seasons? I doubt.

I guess I should chase him up, probably next week. Don't really feel like a valuable customer at the moment ...

@EdH - Any news on your side?

Cheers

André

Only that the bitlocker/encryption issue is being chased. Nothing else.

I am glad that other Business users are pushing for this feature. We moved our entire client files to Evernote thinking that it would be a good idea to go paperless, we could collaborate while a client project is active and we could update through many devices. However, once we were deep into it we realized that the lack of administrative control would severely affect our business. The reason that we need certain Notebooks to have centralized names is that they correspond to our CRM naming scheme. So, the "XYZ Corporation" file or the "Schmoe, Joe" file absolutely needs to correspond with our CRM records. 

We also use Evernote for project collaboration and this does not seem to be as much of a hurdle because active projects may be in the dozens. However, we have over 2000 Notebooks and are struggling to work around the current feature set.

• Level 5*

I am really not sure why we are talking about this over a year later. This should be core to any centrally managed system in the Enterprise.

We were considering moving the team to ENB, however, EN is not able to get the personal client stable.  We planned accordingly almost 2 yrs ago when we started using EN by not putting all of our eggs into this basket.  I am pleased we were cautious.  It is unfortunate EN is not paying close enough attention to their clients, because they do have potential.  It is disappointing to continue to see issues like this occurring. 

• 3 weeks later...

EB's inability to simply rename a business notebook (as an admin) is a serious nuisance.

I'm using EB for a document review project.  There are a LOT of notes and a good number of notebooks.  Keeping everything in order is paramount.

Well, I named a bunch of notebooks like so... Review Part 1, Review Part 2, etc.  Well, then we went over ten notebooks, and now things are displaying in this order: Review Part 1, Review Part 10, Review Part 11, Review Part 12 ... Review Part 2... and so on.

Literally, all I need is to add a single zero to the notebook names to get them in proper order.  But I can't.

I went ahead and recreated the notebooks with the modified names and moved the all the related notes, grinding my teeth all the while. lol

Please take a look at this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Guys, you need to be reasonable here.  This is after all, the company that is going to kill the file system and decimate Microsoft Office.  So they just don't have time to deal with the really deep complex issues like how to let a business rename a notebook.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102047277

:wacko: 

Yeah. And MS was going to get rid of the start menu too. Instead that became a bigger embarrassment than Windows Vista was.

I don't mind help being more efficient. I am sick and tired though of people telling me "I've been doing it wrong all my life" and trying to give me a new paradigm cooked up in a coffee shop.

Guys, you need to be reasonable here.  This is after all, the company that is going to kill the file system and decimate Microsoft Office.  So they just don't have time to deal with the really deep complex issues like how to let a business rename a notebook.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102047277

We're able to rename notes at least. And tags. Although tags are unusable with ENB. But who cares, as long as we don't need to get along with this relict called "file system".

Hell, I'm somewhat p*ssed... :angry:

My ENB contact wants me to wait for the next big thing EN is preparing right now. Meaning another alpha grade beta version of EN for Mac, I guess, Windows lagging behind.

I'll be out ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, I'm out, so is my company. I removed 17 out of 18 collegues, including myself. There's a tiny sidenote to this:

I used to be administrator and provided my credit card number. There was no way to remove the cc information before providing a new one, so I decided to assign admin to the last remaining ENB user (he's still in!). So, for a few minutes, we were both admin.

I went over to his desk and asked him to remove admin and kick me out of ENB. He did that. However, my credit card (with my name and contact information!) was still in there. For me, there was no way to remove my credit card anymore. The scenario could have been worse, as I fully trust my collegue. If he wasn't trustworthy, he could have kicked me out and used my information for bad. Even if he only forgot to change the cc, I would have paid the next bill, and the one after, ... no way back.

Is it just me? I sometimes feel like I'm the only one upset with stuff like this... :blink:

Cheers

André

• Level 5*

That's a shame Andre. It is tough to really like a service and to want it to work for a company, but EN has done nothing to make it more suitable for companies since 2013. They have added eye candy, like the utterly useless search across notebooks you haven't joined (it just returns thousands of post-it-notes in no particular order and with no way to refine the search), but no true admin features, like notebook renaming, enforcing 2FA, etc. And that doesn't address the stability of the 5.x client as it grows to be large. Our notebooks are now well over 100GB and we are having lots of stability problems with the database on the local machine.

Well, yeah, it's a shame. I can live with bugs (as long as they're not dangerous in any way), but I really had a hard time promoting evernote here. Nobody really wanted to use it; the only person that acutally DID want to use it lost all her notes - because of me. I think I already told this story: she created a notebook named "test" or something, pushed it to business, renamed it on her side, put tons of notes into it. I deleted it in a cleanup frenzy, because it was still called test (without even showing how many notes are in there ...). My fault, but also theirs, I think. That's the kind of issues I was facing. Now that I left ENB, we're going back to sharepoint and oneNote (which sucks).

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

It's been well over 18 months since we had this issue (not a bug -- a true, large scale customer need that continues to be ignored)

We don't need cosmetics, we need solutions... 

Well, now we have work chat, so you can talk to your coworkers about the problem more easily.  :wacko:

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Level 5*
29 minutes ago, sarracenia said:

How do I do this?

I don't have the steps in front of me right now - I think it is right-clicking on the notebook. But be forewarned: if your notebook is large, this is a very time consuming process. Here is what happens.

1. You unshare the notebook.
  2. Everyone that is sharing must sync with the server.
  3. The EN clients recognize it isn't shared and begins to remove all notes from the local client for that notebook. A few notes will happen instantly. Hundreds or thousands of notes will take time depending on the speed of the machine. Evernote is largely unusable while this happens.
  4. You then rename and reshare the notebook.
  5. All clients resync and redownload all of the notes.

We had a notebook that needed to be renamed but it had about 100GB of data in it with about 5,000 notes. We decided not to rename because doing the above 5 steps with 13 users was not worth the effort.

But for small notebooks, it isn't a big deal.

• Level 5*

I've unshared it from the admin console but now I don't see where to rename it.

That has to be done from the web client - log into the web with the account of the owner of the notebook, go to the notebook. In the upper left corner of the block at the top of the notes list, click the "i" info icon. On the next screen, you can edit the notebook title. When you change it from there, you can see the change reflected in the Admin Console.

• 4 weeks later...

I think this tread can be close guys. Looks like Evernote has finally decided to fix this issue according the email i received today:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 8 April 2016 at 00:02
Subject: Important change to Evernote shared notebooks

Evernote
Change to notebook renaming coming April 12th, 2016
In response to popular feedback, we’re changing the way shared notebooks work, making it easier to keep track of notebooks you share with teammates or friends.
How it works today
Anyone can change the name of a shared notebook in their own notebook list, but nobody else will see that change. When different people have different names for the same shared notebook, communication gets difficult.
What’s changing
Beginning April 12th, 2016, whenever a notebook’s name is changed, everyone sharing the notebook will see the new name.

The rules are slightly different for notebooks in your business and personal accounts:

Business notebooks: A notebook can only be renamed by people with “Edit and Invite” permission for the notebook.

Personal notebooks: A notebook can only be renamed by the person who created it.

To ensure a smooth transition, please make sure you have the latest version of Evernote installed. For more details about how this will affect your notebooks, please visit our FAQ.
VIEW THE FAQ           
Account  Products  Blog  Support
This email has been sent to you by Evernote Corporation (or its subsidiary). 
Evernote Corporation, 305 Walnut Street, Redwood City, CA 94063, USA
spacer.gif

Archived