(Archived) Import database form Windows

Akki

Hi

I havje just created notebook with 35000 lyrics (im musician) and wonder if i can just simply transfer/import this database to android, i looked in app but i dont see any import function?

Reason im asking is because it dB on Android is stored in one file its not problem, but if dB is stored in multiple folders/files, sync might be to slow.

Thanks

• Level 5*

Does this question have anything to do with Evernote?

For an Evernote solution, you would import the database into Evernote (somehow, since you don't mention what format your lyric notebook is in); then, if you wanted the lyrics to appear on the Android, you would just access them using the Evernote Android client. If you need to guarantee that specific lyrics appear on your Android device even when it's offline, then you would need to use the offline notebook functionality (for which you need to be a Premium user). Even so, you would almost certainly not be able to store all 35000 lyrics on your device, especially if they were stored as one note per lyric. So you'd need to manage your offline notebook to contain the lyrics that you need currently.

Thanks for answer Jeff,

Lyrics are stored in txt files, all 35k of them.

Yesterday i made small test , i uploaded around 500 of them, syned with Android, put android in Airplane mode and i was still able to search.

Only possible problem i notices was that all of them were stored in newly created folders (one per each lyric) in xml file format.

So to sync Android for 3500k would be slow that way i guess.

You mentioned Offline notebook func. in that case, are all notes stored in one file same as in windows (.exb) extention or they are still all in separate files/folders?

Thanks for you answers!

• Level 5*

Thanks for answer Jeff,

Lyrics are stored in txt files, all 35k of them.

Yesterday i made small test , i uploaded around 500 of them, syned with Android, put android in Airplane mode and i was still able to search.

Only possible problem i notices was that all of them were stored in newly created folders (one per each lyric) in xml file format.

So to sync Android for 3500k would be slow that way i guess.

You mentioned Offline notebook func. in that case, are all notes stored in one file same as in windows (.exb) extention or they are still all in separate files/folders?

Thanks for you answers!

I'm not sure how it is stored in Android, but that doesn't really matter, because it is going to be downloaded from the server, and there you will have 35,000 different notes. It takes me a few hours (on iPad) to download about 1GB of data (my entire account) with about 10,000 notes. I would guess that if we are only talking about plain text song lyrics, you probably have less than 100MB, so maybe just a few minutes to get everything on to your Android device. I don't think the number of notes matters as much as the amount of data being synced.

Just select the notes (maybe a 1,000 at a time or so) and drag them into Evernote on your Windows client. Then sync to get the notes to the server, and the Android client will pull it down from there. If you want everything available offline, you'll need to become premium.

After 11.5 Hours, 35k Lyrics were finaly Synced with Android.

How data is handeled on Android its completely non-practical.

For 35k Lyrics i have, EN created around 70k folders and around 36k files.

When you reboot your device internal SD card takes about 5-10 min to mount, so most of your thing are not available until then. You can also feel that complete device is Laggy for that period of time.

Titanium Backup cannot backup Evernote folder as App Data, wich again, is totaly non practical- in case if we have to reinstall rom or similar. In this case we would have to wait another 11h (per device) to sync.

Slow write speed problem on Android i noticed couple month ago, when i tried to extract archive with all those lyrics (txt) it took more than 6h.

This was tested on 3 different devices. Samsung Galaxy S 3, Motorola Atrix , and Asus Eee Pad Transformer.

To avoid those problem, data on android have to be handeled in similar way as on windows, in single, or at least a way fewer files.

Again, this was also tested by making sqlite dB with all Lyrics i have into 18mb single file, and than small app wich can search and display all of them.

Search was almost instant and device didnt feel slow in any way.

• Level 5*

After 11.5 Hours, 35k Lyrics were finaly Synced with Android.

This sounds very odd to me, and I would definitely recommend starting a support ticket (see my signature below). Assuming that these were just text, your account would have to be fairly small, and so the sync should have occurred much more quickly. Perhaps your detailed suggestions will also give developers an idea about how to improve the experience.

Tnx for answer,..

i forgot to mention,... db on Windows (exb) with only those Lyrics (only simple txt files) is 103mb.

Archive (zip rar) is only around 11mb.

How data is handled in EN databases (especially in android) has to be improved big time.

• Level 5*

Looking at my (vastly) smaller Android offline notebook, it looks like Evernote uses 2 folders per note. I'm seeing:

User's folder is: /mnt/sdcard/Evernote/<user-ID>/

Under that is the notes folder: is notes/

Under that is a series of folders with names comprised of three hexadecimal digits (e.g. '1fa')

Under each of those is a folder with a longer name, composed of hexadecimal digits and hyphens, presumably a GUID, with the first three hex digits matching the containing folder's name (e.g. '1fa42c4c-10b9-4696-ab59-62f04ab3c52b')

Under each of those is the note content file, always named 'content.enml'.

So the final path is: '/mnt/sdcard/Evernote/<user-ID>/notes/1fa/1fa42c4c-10b9-4696-ab59-62f04ab3c52b/content.enml'

I'm guessing that the double-folder scheme is to allow notes with identical first three digits in their GUIDs to be stored together, but I just don't have enough notes to give me much to work with.

So the 70K folder count sounds a little high, but possibly not too far off; the 36K file count sounds pretty close, since it's one file minimum per note. The download speed; well, there's probably some per-note overhead (as opposed to just size of raw data), so that may not be out of whack either.

Using the file system as a database is simple, but doesn't scale all that well. I'm guessing that they didn't plan on having large note databases in offline notebooks.

Yes, all above you described is correct.

I can only say its not good, not even close to optimized - to work fast.

Now, when i have all synced - i have one note with multiple links (to another notes) as soon as i click on one of them, note starts loading, and just takes time,.. up to 3 mins. (on 3 different devices)

Another problem with this way of handling data.

• Level 5*

It's certainly not optimized to work fast on large numbers of notes. I think that that's the point (using something for purposes beyond its design intention may not produce happiness).

BTW, another thing that you may be up against is thumbnail generation for all of your notes.

In order to do more testing, i deleted complete Evernote folder , restarted tablet and it started working fine. No lag whatsoever.

I started Sync again, went to Evernote/user folder and i noticed that .external-########-Evernote.db file is created as well as journal file

Downloading Headers was displaying at %82 at about 27k files and i noticed size of dB was just about right ,8mb.

I guess after headers are Synced EN starts to extract all those folders and files and there is where problem starts.

EDIT.

Headers Synced and dB file was about 10.4mb, which is right size for all txt files i have. 1db file , no folders, 10mb, (compare to 70k folders and 36k files) - no wonder why it to slow to read/write.

Syncing Snippets started and then notes folder was created.

EDIT.

I did open dB file and it doesn't contain file/note content but only title (of file/note) + some extra EN tables/etc.

Archived