(Archived) Bugs or Inconsistencies in the Interface

Clayton Daley

I've run into several (usually minor) bugs in the interface that I wanted to bring to your attention. I scanned the section and didn't see any of these mentioned previously.

For reference, my platform is:

• Win 7 64 bit
  • Evernote 4.6.1.7860

The specific issues are:

• Moving Tags With Children
    • Start with tags A, B, C, and D. Tag A has subtags A1, A2, and A3, Tag B has subtags B1, B2, B3 and Tag C has subtags C1, C2, and C3.
    • If you drag A onto D, the subtags are moved properly (stay as subtags).
    • If you click on A, ctrl-click B (to highlight both), and drag to D, subtags are moved correctly.
    • However, if you click on A, shift-click on B, then drag the highlight to D, the children of A (A1, A2, and A3) do not remain children of A. Instead, they become children of D.
    • Similarly if you select A, shift-select C (also including B), then drag to D, the children of A and B are both "lost" and become children of D.
    • My interpretation is that the the shift-click is selecting all items between A and C -- including children -- and moves them. The interface should only affect tags at the *current level* in the hierarchy and trigger a move on them.

[*]Removing Tags

• When you mouse-over a tags, it shows an (X) on the right end of the tag. This implies that clicking the X (or perhaps the tag entire) should remove the tag. It does not.
    • As a fall-back, you can right click on visible tags and select the "remove" option.
    • However, tags that are not normally visible on the screen (that can only be accessed using the down arrows) do not respond to a right click and cannot be removed this way.
    • I'm aware that you can go the long way around with a Ctrl-Alt-T but tag behavior should be standardized.

[*]Adding Tags

• Create a new note. Click on the "Click to add tag..." area. Add a tag and press enter. The tag is added and your cursor is placed in the region to add a new tag.
    • Repeat this process until the area is full. The last time you hit enter, there is no space for a new tag, but it automatically pops up the "Add tags" window. This is a continuation of the previous behavior.
    • However, if you hit enter from the add tags window, the window doesn't pop back up. This strikes me as inconsistent behavior if I'm expecting to type a tag, hit enter, and type a new tag. The precise length of a tag (i.e. whether or not it causes the UI to run out of space) shouldn't change the UI behavior.
    • One alternative is to prevent the tag-chainning behavior in the regular UI. This won't reduce the power of the UI since multiple tags can be entered if they're separated by a comma.

• Level 5*

One more to add to the list

• F3 when selecting multiple notes
    • When selecting a single note, F3 triggers "Click to add tag..."
    • The same UI option exists when multiple notes are selected, but the F3 shortcut does not work.

Should probably send you to the tag field in the multi-note UI.

• Level 5*
When you mouse-over a tags, it shows an (X) on the right end of the tag. This implies that clicking the X (or perhaps the tag entire) should remove the tag. It does not.

I am able to remove tags from a note by clicking on the 'x'.

• Moving Tags With Children
    • Start with tags A, B, C, and D. Tag A has subtags A1, A2, and A3, Tag B has subtags B1, B2, B3 and Tag C has subtags C1, C2, and C3.
    • If you drag A onto D, the subtags are moved properly (stay as subtags).
    • If you click on A, ctrl-click B (to highlight both), and drag to D, subtags are moved correctly.
    • However, if you click on A, shift-click on B, then drag the highlight to D, the children of A (A1, A2, and A3) do not remain children of A. Instead, they become children of D.
    • Similarly if you select A, shift-select C (also including B), then drag to D, the children of A and B are both "lost" and become children of D.
    • My interpretation is that the the shift-click is selecting all items between A and C -- including children -- and moves them. The interface should only affect tags at the *current level* in the hierarchy and trigger a move on them.

Clayton Daley,

Thanks for the report - #5879 has been filed.

When you mouse-over a tags, it shows an (X) on the right end of the tag. This implies that clicking the X (or perhaps the tag entire) should remove the tag. It does not.

I am able to remove tags from a note by clicking on the 'x'.

I just confirmed that it isn't working for me. What version are you using? Perhaps it's fixed in a beta and I'm using the last Public release. If you are using 4.6.1.7860, what OS? Naturally, I can screen capture if there isn't an obvious reason why my system is behaving differently.

Archived