(Archived) REQUEST: Embed YouTube/Vimeo/QuickTime/etc in a [shared] note

• Level 5

EN will probably not add this functionality natively. But you can leave a link in your note and upon clicking that link, the chosen browser will open and play the video.

• 7 months later...

The Evangelists don't normally provide substantiation for their "EN will probably not..." claims.

When we state "will probably not", it's based upon several years of dealing closely with EN staff & is strictly our opinion. Last I knew, opinions do not need to be backed up with something factual. However, we do very often link to posts by EN staff, when applicable.

The Evangelists don't normally provide substantiation for their "EN will probably not..." claims.

When we state "will probably not", it's based upon several years of dealing closely with EN staff & is strictly our opinion. Last I knew, opinions do not need to be backed up with something factual. However, we do very often link to posts by EN staff, when applicable.

Or, in other words, you're just guessing and there's no official announcement about whether or not Evernote will support embeds? Since you didn't provide a link?

That being said, I was searching the forums and found that people have been asking for this feature since 2008. It really boggles my mind as to how a feature that's become a web service standard is not part of Evernote. I mean, the product can scan and make PDFs searchable, but it can't handle a video embed? Even Tweets can present an embedded video. I got really excited about EN and upgraded to Premium. It never occurred to me that I should have to check to see if an Evernote note can do an embed first. It can embed a PDF after all, so why not a video?

• Level 5*

Or, in other words, you're just guessing and there's no official announcement about whether or not Evernote will support embeds? Since you didn't provide a link?

That being said, I was searching the forums and found that people have been asking for this feature since 2008. It really boggles my mind as to how a feature that's become a web service standard is not part of Evernote. I mean, the product can scan and make PDFs searchable, but it can't handle a video embed? Even Tweets can present an embedded video. I got really excited about EN and upgraded to Premium. It never occurred to me that I should have to check to see if an Evernote note can do an embed first. It can embed a PDF after all, so why not a video?

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

A lot of features have been requested since 2008. One that comes to mind would be nesting notebooks. I think a long period of having a feature requests without adoption by Evernote suggests that Evernote has considered it (maybe multiple times) and ultimately rejected it. The only "embedded" things I am aware of (inline stuff) are PDFs and images. Even the lowly text file is an attachment.

Would it be a nice feature to have? Sure. It doesn't appeal to me in the least (just not something I need in my notes), but I can definitely see why people would want it. I encourage you to make the case for the feature to be added!

As for the other Evangelists, I am guessing that they (like me) are simply trying to offer their best guesses about how likely this feature is to come to the platform along with the best workaround that we know to make the most of the app that is, not the app we want it to be. These are just our opinions. You can take them or leave them.

It never occurred to me that I should have to check to see if an Evernote note can do an embed first. It can embed a PDF after all, so why not a video?

In a word...because.

It's EN's product & their choice as to what features they add. It's also their livelihood on the line. There is no need for them to justify their decisions to the users. Sometimes it may be because of technical issues. Sometimes it's because it's a lower priority than other things. Sometimes it's just something they choose to not add. Take your pick.

Rather than just guesses pulled out of the air, these are educated guesses based upon years of dealing with EN staff as I said. Still, sometimes our guesses may be incorrect. Occasionally, we also have some insider info that we are not at liberty to discuss. Either way, it doesn't really matter b/c EN does not publish their roadmap. So you are free to "guess" they will add this very soon. But I think Wern's "guess" is a lot more accurate.

Rather than just guesses pulled out of the air, these are educated guesses based upon years of dealing with EN staff as I said. Still, sometimes our guesses may be incorrect. Occasionally, we also have some insider info that we are not at liberty to discuss. Either way, it doesn't really matter b/c EN does not publish their roadmap. So you are free to "guess" they will add this very soon. But I think Wern's "guess" is a lot more accurate.

I'm not criticizing Wern's attempt to make a guess, only the way you delivered your response to that person. Your answer comes off as aggressive instead of helpful, and being helpful is what I imagine your "evangelist" tag is supposed to represent: a person that wants to let people know why the product is great and how to best use it, not turn them off to the forums, which is why I responded sarcastically. While that person wasn't exactly nice, he has a point. If you're making a claim about something as important as the direction of product development to potentially paying customers, you should be able to back that up with something solid that leads you to believe that, or at least say why you can't. Your response of saying you don't need to provide evidence for what you're saying, while simultaneously claiming to speak for the company as evangelists seems a little contradictory, not to mention arrogant.

Also, your take-it-or-leave-it-and-GTFO-even-though-you-paid-for-something attitude is not helpful, or even warranted. As a paying customer, I have every right to request feature additions, even if the request is not implemented, and, as someone who is not an employee (and even if you were), I don't need to have you talk down to me about how I should respect the company and be grateful for what they, in their graciousness and infinite wisdom dole out to me, and I'm not sure they'd appreciate the insinuation you made that they do what they want and don't give a ***** about what customers are requesting.

As for EN being their bread and butter, that's exactly why they should be adding the features that people want (or need) to have in their product, so they keep paying to use it. I understand that video embeds, or embeds of any sort, are probably not something that every user wants, but when you market your product as a place to store content that you'll be able to revisit as an Evernote note, and then can't produce an embed so users can view their content within the note, it seems more than a little weak, especially in terms of business use where people might want to encapsulate entire presentations to team members in one note that doesn't require visiting outside sites. Having a naked link in a note is not only unattractive and unprofessional, but it's not really a solution for a product that tries to be an elegant way for people to store what they think is important to them on the web. Attempting to tell users what is important to them is a good way to have those users find another service that will allow them to create content the way they want to. And, again, I would like to point out that almost every service on the web that is social or cooperative in any sort of way can embed a video. Embeds are pretty much the standard going forward, and should be implemented.

But, that's my opinion, and you can take it or leave it. I very much enjoy what I can do with Evernote, and I'm in favor of video embeds because it would not only greatly expand Evernote's usefulness to me, it would prevent me from having to waste time exporting data when another service pops up that will do what Evernote won't.

GrumpyMonkey, thanks for the info and have a good evening.

I'm not criticizing Wern's attempt to make a guess, only the way you delivered your response to that person. Your answer comes off as aggressive instead of helpful, and being helpful is what I imagine your "evangelist" tag is supposed to represent: a person that wants to let people know why the product is great and how to best use it, not turn them off to the forums, which is why I responded sarcastically. While that person wasn't exactly nice, he has a point. If you're making a claim about something as important as the direction of product development to potentially paying customers, you should be able to back that up with something solid that leads you to believe that, or at least say why you can't. Your response of saying you don't need to provide evidence for what you're saying, while simultaneously claiming to speak for the company as evangelists seems a little contradictory, not to mention arrogant.

Also, your take-it-or-leave-it-and-GTFO-even-though-you-paid-for-something attitude is not helpful, or even warranted. As a paying customer, I have every right to request feature additions, even if the request is not implemented, and, as someone who is not an employee (and even if you were), I don't need to have you talk down to me about how I should respect the company and be grateful for what they, in their graciousness and infinite wisdom dole out to me, and I'm not sure they'd appreciate the insinuation you made that they do what they want and don't give a ***** about what customers are requesting.

As for EN being their bread and butter, that's exactly why they should be adding the features that people want (or need) to have in their product, so they keep paying to use it. I understand that video embeds, or embeds of any sort, are probably not something that every user wants, but when you market your product as a place to store content that you'll be able to revisit as an Evernote note, and then can't produce an embed so users can view their content within the note, it seems more than a little weak, especially in terms of business use where people might want to encapsulate entire presentations to team members in one note that doesn't require visiting outside sites. Having a naked link in a note is not only unattractive and unprofessional, but it's not really a solution for a product that tries to be an elegant way for people to store what they think is important to them on the web. Attempting to tell users what is important to them is a good way to have those users find another service that will allow them to create content the way they want to. And, again, I would like to point out that almost every service on the web that is social or cooperative in any sort of way can embed a video. Embeds are pretty much the standard going forward, and should be implemented.

But, that's my opinion, and you can take it or leave it. I very much enjoy what I can do with Evernote, and I'm in favor of video embeds because it would not only greatly expand Evernote's usefulness to me, it would prevent me from having to waste time exporting data when another service pops up that will do what Evernote won't.

GrumpyMonkey, thanks for the info and have a good evening.

Please do not twist my words.  I never said you don't have the right to ask for feature request or additions.  My job as an Evernote Evangelist includes being honest.  So if a particular feature is a deal breaker for someone, it's only the right & fair thing to tell them they will need to find another app.  I could lie & say "Yeah, I think that's going to be added in the next update" but that would be deceitful & serve no good purpose. 

And no, I don't need to backup my opinions with facts because my opinions are just that.  Doesn't mean they don't have any credible weight behind them. 

And I never said Evernote doesn't give a ship about what customers are requesting.  (There you go twisting my words again!)  They certainly do have a much better feel for what users are responding to than you or I do.  Plus, they have long term plans already in play for the future.  So something you or I want may not mesh with their plans.  The fact that they now have 60+ million users shows they apparently have a good thing going.  The forum is littered with posts from users who want ___ (fill in the blank) & think a gazillion other users will want it to & be willing to pay for it & bump up EN's revenues by a billion dollars by end of next week.  So just because you think lack of embedded video is "weak" & "should be implemented" or having a link to a note is "unattractive" & your mind is boggled b/c embedded video is not supported is yet another one of those posts.  It's your opinion.  Like I said, it could be a technical issue, it could be a low priority or it could be something they looked at & nixed.  Evernote (like any other app) is never going to be everything to everyone.  Just because people ask for something or "everyone else is doing it" does not mean they will ever implement it. It's really that simple.

Archived