Evernote local backup via Time Machine?

B60boy

Idea

Stupid question as I'm a pretty long user of Evernote. Is the local copy of Evernote that is on my mac being backed up via Time Machine backups?

I think that it is. I just want to make sure that I'm completely redundant in my protection of now a very critical Evernote database.

Thanks for your answer.

12 replies to this idea

Yes, it is. However, the way it's organized is not particularly "human friendly." By this I mean that the complete, complex set of files which Evernote stores on your disk are backed up and visible in Time Machine just as they are accessible in the finder. (Navigate to ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote/accounts/Evernote/your-account-name/ to see these.) All this data would be restored if you restored your system from a Time Machine backup.

But all the file system structure is intertwined and depended on by the Evernote application. It would be very difficult to restore some pervious version of a specific note back into Evernote without unintentionally corrupting the Evernote database. If you can find the content you are looking for in the Time Machine directory hierarchy, I would recommend restoring that to the desk top and then drag it from there into Evernote

I will add one important thing to Creed's explanation.  How to find the following:  ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote/accounts/Evernote/your-account-name/

To find your Evernote Database on your Local HD:

Open a Finder Window

Hold down the Option Key

Click on Go in the Top Menu

Click on Library

Navigate to Application Support/Evernote/accounts/Evernote/your-account-name/

You must hold down the Option Key to reveal the Hidden Library Folder.

To find your Evernote Database in Time Machine:

Open a Finder Window

Hold down the Option Key

Click on Go in the Top Menu

Click on Library

Click on Time Machine/Enter Time Machine (Time Machine icon is in your Menu, upper right hand corner of Desktop)

You must hold down the Option Key for the Hidden Library Folder to be revealed in Time Machine.

#3 is extraordinary complicated- I wonder who would go the trouble to follow those instructions

Completely out of any mac - intuition

The all-evident conclusion: there is no backup for EN on TM.

NOT TRUE!

The EN back up files are in Time Machine. The library is hidden by MAC, not EN.

And you must follow this procedure on a Mac to find ANY of your Library Files on a MAC.

Yes, this is Mac intuition.  It is Apple that has created this difficulty, NOT EN!

• Level 5*

#3 is extraordinary complicated- I wonder who would go the trouble to follow those instructions

Completely out of any mac - intuition

The all-evident conclusion: there is no backup for EN on TM.

As has already been explained to you in another thread, the files are right there, and you can easily find them, especially if you un-hide Apple's hidden library. The fact that you are unwilling to make the effort does not mean the Evernote files (or those of any other app) do not exist. I encourage you to give it a try. It only takes a few seconds to locate and extract your data.

I followed #3.

and then Enter TM, then go back a few weeks in time, and RESTORE

TM works a few seconds, then I look to EN and see no restored files.

But there is a new EN folder in the Finder hierarchy , one is the original, the other is the restored one

But EN shwos the original as usual, not the restored one.

So the problem is not solved

I followed #3.

But there is a new EN folder in the Finder hierarchy , one is the original, the other is the restored one

"Don't try to cover the sun with your finger..."

I followed #3.

I would strongly suggest to connect with Apple Support.  Allow them an opportunity to look into the situation for you since you are working with an Apple machine and Apple Time Machine.  They helped me out with a similar situation, I too wanted to blame on EN.  However, it was user error with Time Machine.

Give them a shout: https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/

Sorry to hear that.  I was able to get free live Chat support for free.  It may be because of my Apple Protection Plan.

You may want to give those steps another try and choose a back up closer to the date of your last save before you began seeing your problem with your EN files.

Sorry to hear that.  I was able to get free live Chat support for free.  It may be because of my Apple Protection Plan.

You may want to give those steps another try and choose a back up closer to the date of your last save before you began seeing your problem with your EN files.

For Minky, it's not about getting results. It's about having something to gripe about.

For Minky, it's not about getting results. It's about having something to gripe about.

I am beginning to realize that.

It is a shame some people can only see the negative issues in life as opposed to the positives, and how to utilize the positives to overcome the few negatives.

Archived