Feature Request: View Pics in Notebook as Slideshow

I have a feature request to view all of the pics in a Notebook or a Notebook Stack. I use Evernote mostly as a journal and I often insert pics into each entry. I feel that it would be useful to view all of the pics in each unit as a slideshow instead of cycling through each individual note.

I hope that you can recognize that value too!

Seems like a good thought - but what if you have several pics in each note?

I would think those pics should be included in the slide show as well. Basically, it's just a way to view only pics without having to jump around.

Please, no! There are already plenty of image/photo/sideshow apps out there. I prefer EN continue to focus on it's niche of collecting, organizing & recalling info across many platforms. When I need to see images, the snippet or thumbnail views are sufficient, IMO.

I dont think the suggestion is intended to make EN a picture or slideshow viewer but to have the feature assist in additional recollection of the photos within the notes...not just to view random photos.

For example, I use EN to track my workouts. I take pictures of my workouts during specific lifts to track my form and place the pics in the corresponding notebook in EN. Within the note I also type in the exercise names and weight I used that week. It would be nice to scroll through and see each corresponding pic for each note to see my improvements without having to go into each notebook or notebook stack.

Hope that makes some sense.

Patrick

I think this feature would go well with the way that I use Evernote for collecting, organizing & recalling information. I know that I'm definitely faster with recalling visual information over textual information. If anything it will aid to making it faster to get to the data that you want, which is a plus once you become a heavy Evernote user.

I think of how helpful this app would've been when a friend spent a year building a boat in his basement. As he approached each milestone in his project, he could've taken a picture and wrote out his notes for recalling later. When, he wanted to share that experience with others, it would be as simple as whipping out his phone and thumbing through the pics.

There are plenty of other examples but I believe it's within Evernote's scope if we're using it to store and recall info. The slideshow just makes it easier for recollection when you've organized things in a certain way.

I definitely see the benefit of it. And with any other feature, I can always opt not to use it if I don't see that need.

• Level 5*

I think Evernote have a continuing dilemma - remembering information is their central function, plus giving users access as easily and widely as possible on every platform available. A lot of people become fans and want better editing, better picture handling, bigger upload limits, more bells, more whistles - and the guys have to decide what they can accomplish across all those channels while still improving services and accessibility, and not annoying 40M or so existing users...

I'm sure the devs will note this conversation. Let's not go holding our breath now though...

I agree that this would be a nice feature. Once my information is in Evernote, I generally use it in one of two ways: (i) I look for specific information, usually with a combination of tags and the search functionality; or (ii) I narrow down the field, generally using my tags, and then browse the notes. The ability to quickly flick through contained images would help greatly, in many cases, with method number (ii).

For example:

• I want to make a dessert. I click on my "desserts" tag to isolate all my dessert recipes, and then I could quickly scan through all the images in my dessert recipes to find something tempting.
  • I want to re-decorate my living room. I click on my "interior design" tag then bring up all my web clippings of attractive room ideas.
  • My daughter is doing a school project on the Milky Way and needs some images. I click on my "astronomy" tag, and then we can quickly scan through all the wonderful space images I've saved over the years.

• Level 5*

The way that we organize notes in Evernote is by means of putting them in a notebook, tagging, clever titling, insertion of special metadata, saved searches etc. Any of these can be used to isolate related sets of notes that track workouts, or progress in a boatbuilding operation, pretty easily. So that's a solved problem already. Seems, though, that the original poster wants a new, different capability: the ability to (once having isolated a set of notes) make a slideshow of all of the pictures in those notes. That seems to be to be a bit beyond the scope of what Evernote clients are intended to do, but it does seem like a decent idea for a third-party application.

• 3 months later...

I agree. I am a new Evernote user, and I have recently obtained lots of online photos of countertop styles for a kitchen remodel. It is very cumbersome not to be able to flip thru the pictures. I guess in the future, instead of using Evernote, I will just take screenshots of the photos and view them thru the gallery on my Nexus 7. Works great. I was just hoping that I could use Evernote for that...

• Level 5*

The way that we organize notes in Evernote is by means of putting them in a notebook, tagging, clever titling, insertion of special metadata, saved searches etc. Any of these can be used to isolate related sets of notes that track workouts, or progress in a boatbuilding operation, pretty easily. So that's a solved problem already. Seems, though, that the original poster wants a new, different capability: the ability to (once having isolated a set of notes) make a slideshow of all of the pictures in those notes. That seems to be to be a bit beyond the scope of what Evernote clients are intended to do, but it does seem like a decent idea for a third-party application.

I think there's functionality like this already out there - both PDF and PPT files (I think) include as one of their features the ability to page through a document or slideshow automatically.  So: export your chosen notes to HTML files,  import to another app as separate slides or pages,  and hit 'Go'.

It might take a little effort to set up the first time,  but once you work out the exact method I'd think this would be a fairly quick option...

• 1 month later...

The point the OP was trying to make was that this would be a great feature to be built into Evernote...finding a third party app for slideshows is simple but isn't the point of the post or what was being asked...it would be awesome to have this feature built in so a third party app or performing exports, etc wouldn't be necessary.

• Level 5*

Noted,  but most Evernote users have their own wish list and I'd be surprised if there was much overlap.  Evernote are developing their product across many platforms,  adding new features and fixing bugs - there's a strictly limited scope to develop things like this even if they want to.  Some users feel strongly that the more Evernote becomes a Swiss Army Knife packed out with different features,  the slower and more difficult it will be to use.  While all of that is working its way through the system,  some external software may be a help to someone...

At the same time it would be nice to see a great product like evernote evolve and grow...I dont think the feature being requested is so far out there and valid points have been made on how the feature would be beneficial to users and I think make evernote an even better product. The request is being made because it would enhance how the product is used...he/she isnt asking for a slideshow feature for the sake of making slideshows but presents a relevant case on how it could be used.

I understand adding new features is not always easy and that third party apps has it place but Im just simply stating that I think the OP presents a relevant feature that would enhance the product and make it more useful.

• Level 5*

Fair comment - wasn't trying to put your comment down,  just likewise explaining why you get a lot of work-arounds hereabouts.  Evernote developers do read these posts for ideas so this one will have been noted for possible future action...

• 2 months later...

@ EverKel:

Update: note sure if this was available when you originally asked the question back in January. But Evernote Web now offers a "Slideshow" feature:

http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2012/08/02/evernote-web-gets-image-slideshows-and-linkedin-sharing/

Additionally, I agree that it would be incredibly useful to:

-have the Slideshow feature available on iOs and Mac versions.

-be able to view a Slideshow of Images/Notes wiith the same Tags.

-Alternatively: Evernote could offer a way to view a "Media Library" of all imported images and movie files.

• 2 months later...

I just want to point out that some are making a distinction between "information", of which Evernote is designed to manage and organize, and "images", to  which some are alluding to as secondary to documents and notes. For many of us, images ARE information and stand alone  of data. I don't think supporters of image management are looking to store and share family photos and EN certainly should not invest  time into another Picasa. 

I am thrilled with the slide show feature and would like to see app support for it as well, since much of my work is mobile. I'd also like to see additional slide show options. I have a series of images that are each their own note in a Notebook. From what I can tell you can only do a slide show with images within the same note. 

• 6 months later...

This was actually the reason I signed up for Evernote to begin with. I am going to try some other programs to see if they can do what I need.

Basically, I wanted a way to save a bunch of photos and be able to view groups of them by searching for one or more keywords that I assign to the photos. For example, if I have a bunch of wedding dress photos I can label them with keywords such as "ball gown" "sweetheart neckline" "color", etc. Then, when I want to, I can search on "ball gown, sweetheart neckline" and return all photos with those features. I also wanted to be able to keep notes on each photo.

Unfortunately, the slideshow feature in EverNote only seems to show photos within the note itself - you can't scroll through all the photos in all the notes that are returned by searching a tag. Guess I have to keep searching, unless I am missing something.

***Just a thought, they might be able to do this fairly easily by allowing the slideshow to jump to the next note when it gets to the end of all the pictures in the first one.

• Level 5*

This was actually the reason I signed up for Evernote to begin with. I am going to try some other programs to see if they can do what I need.

Basically, I wanted a way to save a bunch of photos and be able to view groups of them by searching for one or more keywords that I assign to the photos. For example, if I have a bunch of wedding dress photos I can label them with keywords such as "ball gown" "sweetheart neckline" "color", etc. Then, when I want to, I can search on "ball gown, sweetheart neckline" and return all photos with those features. I also wanted to be able to keep notes on each photo.

Unfortunately, the slideshow feature in EverNote only seems to show photos within the note itself - you can't scroll through all the photos in all the notes that are returned by searching a tag. Guess I have to keep searching, unless I am missing something.

***Just a thought, they might be able to do this fairly easily by allowing the slideshow to jump to the next note when it gets to the end of all the pictures in the first one.

You can either go through all the photos in one note in Slideshow mode,  or you can go through all the notes in one search in presentation mode.  The link talks more about meetings than photos,  but the principle's the same.  You might have to limit the number of pics in one note - ie one photo,  one note;  don't know,  never tried things this way.  Presentation is new - if it hasn;t made it to your production version of Evernote yet,  sign up for the betas or wait a while.

Finding pictures by keywords however;  there's a BIG list of photograph management software that does this just fine,  starting with Flickr and Picasa...

Archived