(Archived) Voting for Evernote for the Crunchie? No, sorry.

I don't really know where else to post this, so I thought I'd post this here.

I got the email asking us to vote for Evernote in the Crunchies (http://crunchies2012.../vote/?NDoxOA==), but even though I love Evernote (paying subscriber) and find it tremendously useful, I can't justify voting for Evernote.

Why? Simply because I feel neglected due to the effort that goes into the iOS platform instead of the Android platform.

As long as there are apps or add-ins that are available for iOS but not Android, I will be looking for a better competitor and unabble to vote for Evernote in these web awards.

Hopefully one day this will no longer be the case.

• Level 5*

As far as I can tell, the Android is a pretty good Evernote client that's improved steadily since I got my first Android device a year ago, with few of the problems that plagued the recent iOS release. Case of "grass is always greener", maybe? What specific things about the Evernote client do you think are better in iOS client than in the Android client?

That being said -- it's your right to vote for who you want, or not to vote at all, so...

In fact, if you read the iOS threads, you'll see that there are many who are highly dissatisfied with the current iOS version, and who are envious of the Android version. Many have gone back to the previous version of iOS Evernote, although that is more difficult than doing it on the Mac, due to the fact that the previous version would reside in the trash, and if emptied, is no longer available. And it is "keyed" to your iDevice and Apple ID, so you can't just grab someone else's copy.

There are numerous comments on how much better the Android version is, and the Windows version being way better than the new Mac version too. So Windows and Android users have the better world at the moment, it would seem.

I won't be voting for Evernote mainly due to the dreadful "upgrades" to EN for the Mac and iOS.

• Level 5*

I don't really know where else to post this, so I thought I'd post this here.

I got the email asking us to vote for Evernote in the Crunchies (http://crunchies2012.../vote/?NDoxOA==), but even though I love Evernote (paying subscriber) and find it tremendously useful, I can't justify voting for Evernote.

Why? Simply because I feel neglected due to the effort that goes into the iOS platform instead of the Android platform.

As long as there are apps or add-ins that are available for iOS but not Android, I will be looking for a better competitor and unabble to vote for Evernote in these web awards.

Hopefully one day this will no longer be the case.

Weird. I have been thrilled with the Android app and its frequent updates (Nexus 7 and Samsung Galaxy III). There is more work to be done, of course, but the Android team has been very proactive in improving the experience. The app doesn't get much love from the tech blogging community, of course, but that isn't Evernote's fault. For a lot of them, it takes a gargantuan effort to grudgingly admit that Android is even a competitor for iOS :) This doesn't mean that Evernote is neglecting the app.

Personally, I think it would be great to vote for an app that has made such a big difference in our lives!

I'm not actually referring to the EN app itself as that one is quite good.

What I mean is that Skitch was only available for iOS for a long time and two examples of what I mean are Penultimate and, as far as I can see, EN Peek.

If add-ons like those were released for Android at the same time as for iOS, then I don't think I would have any gripes with EN at all.

• Level 5*

I'm not actually referring to the EN app itself as that one is quite good.

What I mean is that Skitch was only available for iOS for a long time and two examples of what I mean are Penultimate and, as far as I can see, EN Peek.

If add-ons like those were released for Android at the same time as for iOS, then I don't think I would have any gripes with EN at all.

Hi. I could be wrong here, but according to my memory, Skitch came to Android first in the summer of 2011. It only came to iOS in winter that year. So, in that case Evernote actually prioritized Android :)

Penultimate has been on iOS since so long ago I cannot even remember. 2010? But, Evernote didn't purchase it until 2012, so it seems a little unfair to blame Evernote for something that they didn't even own. As you may or may not know, they hired (or were trying to hire) an Android developer for the Penultimate app, so in part I am guessing they also had to create an entirely new team to handle it. That doesn't happen overnight, and Penultimate still hasn't been updated on iOS since it was acquired.

Peek was developed for the smart cover on the iPad, so naturally it was not available on Android, since there was no device at the time that could have used it anyways. If you have been following it, you'll note that it has been ages since it was last updated (2010?). I won't say that it has been abandoned, but it hardly seems like it is being actively developed either.

Archived