Very frustrated Evernote Power User

I have been a premium Evernote user for 4 years now. I have a huge 21GB size account with a massive 88,000 note library. On average, I add about 60-70 notes to my account daily logging business and personal data. I use Evernote as my external brain and I use it to it's fullest extent. I am at a crossroads whether this should be the service I continue to use. Every time there is an update to Evernote, it does a note migration to the newest version and without fail, there seems to be a corruption along the way. I try to take advantage of support, but support is lacking. There is a bunch of back and forth, try this and that associated with a ticket number. After a number of emails going back and forth, the end result is the same. I would love to talk to an actual person about my problems. The answer is always nuke and pave every trace of Evernote on your computer and resync. I always end up doing this but it turns out to be a long process. I am currently doing so now and am going into my 3rd week of all night sync session. It's 21GB. It's big. But 3 weeks and still not done synchronizing my account? I find myself using a combination of Evernote on the web for management and the "AMAZING" CloudMagic service for fast retrieval of my notes. Evernote for Mac is pretty and when it or if it finally finishes syncing, it will be good until the next corruption. I thought this would be a service I could use for several more years, but the bigger the note library gets, the more of a headache it is to use. These are my questions.

1) Am I taking a risk by relying on the Evernote web services (no local backup) and just saying goodbye to the native Mac app?

2) Is there another application that will allow me to export my notes from Evernote while easily maintaining searchability for reference purposes?

3) Is anyone else concerned that may be investing to much data and time into this service?

• Level 5*

1) Am I taking a risk by relying on the Evernote web services (no local backup) and just saying goodbye to the native Mac app?

2) Is there another application that will allow me to export my notes from Evernote while easily maintaining searchability for reference purposes?

3) Is anyone else concerned that may be investing to much data and time into this service?

Hi. Welcome to the forums! Sorry to hear about your problems :)

1. I consider anything to be a risk if I do not have multiple personal backups of my own, so a Web service is not only inconvenient (only barely usable on the iPad with Puffin browser), but insufficient to satisfy my paranoia.

2. Anything. Just export as HTML and import. The problem, of course, will probably arise with different programs and how they interpret the incoming data. Give a try, and let us know, but for rich text and attachments that you want to sync with other devices, I think VoodooPad is probably one of the few viable alternatives. DevonThink might work as well.

3. No. However, I have taken a different approach to it after reaching 25 GB in my account and running into issues that made me look for new ways to optimize my account (http://discussion.ev...ce/#entry173506). By the way, 3 weeks is 2 weeks too long for an initial sync. At most, I'd say it should take a week. Something is definitely wrong, and I have had pretty good results with customer service, so I would recommend continuing to work with them and trying to find solutions.

--------------------

In general, I'd say that Evernote scales up reasonably well from 10 to 10,000 notes, but after that, you have to become increasingly efficient with how you handle things like updates (I hear that copying over your database instead of downloading it is sometimes possible, though it probably wasn't with the newly overhauled app) and moving data around (a simple change in a tag or notebook name can result in major processing that lasts for half an hour or more).

Nothing I have tried on any platform does as well as Evernote overall with handling a large number of notes, syncing, and notes that contain a lot of text. I have almost entirely plain text, yet even my relatively simple (seeming) account crashes rather robust programs like Notational Velocity. In short, Evernote isn't perfect, but it is a lot better than alternatives, and it is also constantly improving, so I'd recommend sticking with it.

• Level 5*

In general, I'd say that Evernote scales up reasonably well from 10 to 10,000 notes, but after that, you have to become increasingly efficient with how you handle things like updates (I hear that copying over your database instead of downloading it is sometimes possible, though it probably wasn't with the newly overhauled app) and moving data around (a simple change in a tag or notebook name can result in major processing that lasts for half an hour or more).

I'm sorry, but having a practical limit of 10K notes for a system that is supposed to be the place your store EVERYTHING for your entire life is just UNACCEPTABLE.

Resyncing your entire account every time you make an EN update is UNACCEPTABLE.

Removing features used by many, depended upon by many, without any good reason is UNACCEPTABLE.

Making the UI a lot harder to use, like with EN Mac Ver 5 (hiding the Saved Search create function) is UNACCEPTABLE.

Having a EN FireFox Mac Web Clipper that breaks for at least a month every time a new version of FF is released is UNACCEPTABLE.

I am a long time EN user with a premium account almost from the beginning. I depend upon Evernote in both work and personal matter EVERY DAY.

But I am rapidly losing my paitence with Evernote. As you can see from my above comments, it is rapidly becoming UNACCEPTABLE.

• Level 5*

I'm sorry, but having a practical limit of 10K notes for a system that is supposed to be the place your store EVERYTHING for your entire life is just UNACCEPTABLE.

Resyncing your entire account every time you make an EN update is UNACCEPTABLE.

Removing features used by many, depended upon by many, without any good reason is UNACCEPTABLE.

Making the UI a lot harder to use, like with EN Mac Ver 5 (hiding the Saved Search create function) is UNACCEPTABLE.

Having a EN FireFox Mac Web Clipper that breaks for at least a month every time a new version of FF is released is UNACCEPTABLE.

I am a long time EN user with a premium account almost from the beginning. I depend upon Evernote in both work and personal matter EVERY DAY.

But I am rapidly losing my paitence with Evernote. As you can see from my above comments, it is rapidly becoming UNACCEPTABLE.

Well, I think this thread is only about how to handle large accounts, and some of those issues are not directly relevant.

I also agree that Evernote could do a better job, especially with the long initial sync time, which makes the account unusable if you haven't got a backup plan (Evernote on Windows via Parallels, the iPad, etc.). One good thing is that the incremental search on the Mac is considerably improved, so at least that is not beachballing as much as it used to for large accounts. Things improve over time, and because Evernote is pioneering new territory, I think there will be a few bumps along the way. Hopefully, by shining a spotlight on problems that power users are experiencing, we can help make sure that time gets spent developing ways to deal with long initial sync times (downloading headers?) and massive account sizes (offline/online notebook toggles).

Same experience here. I only have a couple of gigabytes but the initial sync is always very slow and almost never without problems.

Initial sync on Android Nexus 7 took about 2 days. Support told me to uninstall / reinstall etc.

Initial sync on my iPad took about a week. Again support asked me to reinstall (is this their only advice?). This time i found out that one pdf was causing troubles. After deleting this I could complete the sync...

Also had sync problems on Windows and Mac.

Still have sync problems with images on iOS!

Too bad there are no good alternatives available right now.

• Level 5*

Same experience here. I only have a couple of gigabytes but the initial sync is always very slow and almost never without problems.

Initial sync on Android Nexus 7 took about 2 days. Support told me to uninstall / reinstall etc.

Initial sync on my iPad took about a week. Again support asked me to reinstall (is this their only advice?). This time i found out that one pdf was causing troubles. After deleting this I could complete the sync...

Also had sync problems on Windows and Mac.

Still have sync problems with images on iOS!

Too bad there are no good alternatives available right now.

Initial syncs are really only major problems with desktops. On the mobile platforms, you can download everything offline, but in the meantime, you have your headers downloaded, and you can easily use your account within a few seconds/minutes of installing the app.

The problem with notes that stop the sync is an old one, and I do hope they solve that, because I have had the same issue as well. For some reason, the sync will hang on a note, and you don't make progress. There are probably all sorts of things going on in the background that could be improved.

Of course, downloading offline notebooks on the mobile devices is far from perfect. On the iPad today I just installed the app and downloaded a gigabyte in about two hours, so even though it is slow, it isn't too bad. Of course, if you have 10 or 20 gigabytes, we are talking about days, and then it becomes a headache, because you cannot leave the offline notebooks screen if you want it to keep on downloading.

• Level 5*

Well, I think this thread is only about how to handle large accounts, and some of those issues are not directly relevant.

Sorry GM, but I beg to differ. ;)

• ALL accounts will become LARGE over one's lifetime, if EN is being used.
  • The title of the thread is about "Power User frustrations"
    • "Power User" can mean many different things.
    • IMO, it means anyone who goes beyond the most basic usage of a product
    • Again, over a user's life time, I would expect that he/she would expand usage of EN, especially as the Note count grows, and a more complex search and/or organization is needed to avoid a lot of false positives from a general Search of text only.

Evernote's focus seems to be mostly on getting new users, whether they are effectively retained as customers or not.

Ignoring your customer base, which is aging and becoming more demanding, is hazardous to one's health.

I hate to use this analogy, but it is just too good...[ EDITED BY MODERATOR ]

Come on JM. You know better than to talk politics. Please stay on topic. From the forum's code of conduct:

6. There are better places on the web to talk politics and religion.

While we respect all religions and beliefs and love political dialogue, we ask that users refrain from engaging in overtly religious (or political) discussion on our boards, unless it has specific relation to Evernote products, third party products or use cases. Evernote's great for engaging in religious learning and organizing religious study, and we definitely promote that and other use cases here on the forum.

• Level 5*

@GrumpyMonkey,

No resume/download capability (restart where you left off)?

-- roschler

It is really quite frustrating, because it downloads in packets of data, and if you cut it off in the middle of that packet, then you have to restart with it. At least, that is what I am seeing.

• Level 5*

@JMichael I haven't seen moderator intervention like that before...LOL (well done!)

Well, that's OK. Funny thing is that I wasn't really discussing politics -- just making an analogy. I wasn't really trying to compliment or critize any one party, just stating the facts that have been reported. To be honest, it never even occured to me that I might be violating UG policy.

NBD.

The remainder of the post remains intact.

Now, if we could just get that type of quick response from the EN Dev group . . . ;)

• Level 5*

We seem to be making progress with iOS why not update your Mac feature lists etc? http://discussion.ev..._60#entry182961

I have followed your iOS thread somewhat, but I did not perceive that you had been successful in getting changes made.

I would be interested in know what the changes are.

Can you please summarize, or point me to a post that summarizes the changed?

THX.

@JMichael OK note I used the word 'progress'

But it appears we have the following:

1. Acknowledgement of missing features & Bugs

2. Updates to said issue progress, from EN employees

3. Many issues to be fixed and snippet view to be re-introduced in the next release

4. Request for further input on bugs that EN cannot track down

5. An indication that if further issues are added to the list, they will be looked at too!

Overall we have a dialogue and a central list with many items soon to be crossed out! :) (time will tell).

• Level 5*

I also have an issue with re-sync times. Well, to be accurate I have an issue that I'm told will be fixed by the famous 're-install, re-sync' process. My desktop usage stats are 150MB or so higher than my mobile/ web usage stats - fortunately no big deal in the general scheme of things since I haven't done the re-install precisely because of the time it would take to re-download my 10GB database. To reinforce my reluctance I installed Evernote in a netbook a few months ago and waited a week or so before the full database was available. So. It's clear there is an issue (amongst quite a long shopping list of others) that really needs to be addressed.

The OP mentions repeating problems when the database is being upgraded. While we wait for Evernote to come back with some new features to support users with database problems (a database checking utility? an automated upgrade process that offers an option to revert to a previous version if there are errors?) - perhaps a work-around should be: backup your database before upgrading - then you at least have the chance to give a reinstall a flying start, or step back a version if it all goes horribly wrong...

I can't help wondering just WHY the resync from scratch takes so long? I mean - even for those who have tens of GB of notes (and that's not that many - mine total less than 10 and I would use EN more than 90% of the users who use it on a casual basis) - what on earth takes so long? The actual data surely can't take that long? I can download an 8GB update of a music app with all content in about an hour - maybe two at most. And our internet speeds here in Australia are NOT renowned for being fast...! The update to the program and all the data (music samples) totals just over 8GB.

So - just WHY does the download from Evernote take so long? Does it continually re-index note by note as it downloads (which seems very inefficient), or does it do the entire data download, and THEN re-index?

Does anyone have a clue as to just WHY it is SO slow? In these days of fast download speeds (at least compared to just a few years ago), it should be able to sync in a very short time.

I can't help wondering just WHY the resync from scratch takes so long? I mean - even for those who have tens of GB of notes (and that's not that many - mine total less than 10 and I would use EN more than 90% of the users who use it on a casual basis) - what on earth takes so long? The actual data surely can't take that long? I can download an 8GB update of a music app with all content in about an hour - maybe two at most. And our internet speeds here in Australia are NOT renowned for being fast...! The update to the program and all the data (music samples) totals just over 8GB.

So - just WHY does the download from Evernote take so long? Does it continually re-index note by note as it downloads (which seems very inefficient), or does it do the entire data download, and THEN re-index?

Does anyone have a clue as to just WHY it is SO slow? In these days of fast download speeds (at least compared to just a few years ago), it should be able to sync in a very short time.

AMEN BROTHER!!

That's exactly what is going through my head as I watch this syncing progress bar to see if really moves when I'm not looking.

• Level 5*

I am guessing it has to do with how it splits the data up into bite sized chunks, but even then, I cannot explain why each chunk takes so long.

One thing that would be ideal (in my mind) is if we could just toggle notebooks offline / online. I could easily arrange my account so that 90% of it is in notebooks that do not change, and I would be thrilled if I could just leave those on the cloud (as we do on mobile devices), because it is silly for me to download it in the first place. This would help relieve the Evernote server load (I have done so many initial syncs this year I cannot even remember the number), it would free up my local drive, and it would eliminate (at least for me) the need to go through these agonizing initial syncs.

Of course, you might wonder about how "safe" this is. I would have a copy of the data on my drive at some point, but once that occurs (Time Machine backup or export), because it isn't changing over time, I could just toggle it to online and be done with it. It would work the same as it does with our mobile devices.

Maybe some sort of a special Archive' notebook or "bin" on each device. Once you have finished with a note, and think you may only need to access it occasionally if at all, you can archive it and it gets exported into a local archive folder. You could opt in the settings as to whether or not this Archive folder is included in searches. And if a complete reinstall is needed, then simply re-importing the Archive folder is purely a local task - no downloading necessary. The Archive folder needn't ever get synced to the Evernote servers again - unless a note is accessed and changed.

I have notes going back to when Evernote first came out - I was a very early adopter. I almost never need them again, but I don't want to delete them - after all, that's the whole idea of Evernote - they're there for ever.

Once they're flagged as "Archived", the next sync can make sure that the version stored on the Evernote server is identical to the one Archived locally, then no further syncing of those archived notes is needed.

Just throwing that idea out there - it's probably been suggested before, no doubt. But it MAY just obviate the need for these ridiculously long syncing times!

I am guessing it has to do with how it splits the data up into bite sized chunks, but even then, I cannot explain why each chunk takes so long.

I'm not sure that's the answer, Mr Grumpy :) Isn't all data packetised these days? (Is that a new verb?) Nope - I really don't understand why the resyncing takes so long unless it's re-indexing the entire database after each single note comes down the line - like a recursive indexing operation.

But it is incredibly slow. I used to be able to download entire movies on a 56kbps dial-up modem faster than this....

• Level 5*

I'm not sure that's the answer, Mr Grumpy :) Isn't all data packetised these days? (Is that a new verb?) Nope - I really don't understand why the resyncing takes so long unless it's re-indexing the entire database after each single note comes down the line - like a recursive indexing operation.

But it is incredibly slow. I used to be able to download entire movies on a 56kbps dial-up modem faster than this....

Yes, everything is in packets these days. That is why I used the word chunks, because most programs I know don't break up information on their own like this. Some of us have also speculated about throttling

As for the archiving thing, it is unnecessary for me. I just want the offline/online toggle we have on mobile. Anything more complicated probably won't get done, so I don't want to scare off the developers :)

We need a more detailed sync status box (normally hidden) giving a better indication of what is going on. Perhaps it should give us:

Current mb transfer rate

Current note number being downloaded and total notes

Current notebook name & note title

I'd guess there is something wrong with the process as my 1GB database only takes a couple of hours to sync to the iPad. Without some sort of status screen it's impossible to tell. It's common though for downloads from cloud storage to be slower than your bandwidth, but I would expect a steady 4mb download (I have 80mb available).

• Level 5*

We need a more detailed sync status box (normally hidden) giving a better indication of what is going on. Perhaps it should give us:

Current mb transfer rate

Current note number being downloaded and total notes

Current notebook name & note title

I'd guess there is something wrong with the process as my 1GB database only takes a couple of hours to sync to the iPad. Without some sort of status screen it's impossible to tell. It's common though for downloads from cloud storage to be slower than your bandwidth, but I would expect a steady 4mb download (I have 80mb available).

One GB at two hours means it will take the OP at least two days to sync. In my experience, that is a little quick for Evernote, and I'd expect a few days more. This is many, many times slower than Dropbox, Google Drive, or any other service I know. A progress meter wouldn't hurt, but probably wouldn't help either. Slow is slow. Telling me it is slow won't satisfy me :)

Having read this thread, I can see a benefit of having a display of how the download/restore is going. But it would be even more useful if you could see the files which would tell you where it was getting stuck.

But surely the answer is already there with the 'Activity Log'. It is certainly how I discovered what Notes/Notebooks have caused me problems lately.

Best regards

Chris

Is this too archaic? I wonder if Evernote should offer people a service you pay a few bucks for to get your whole database on a DVD with the option of expedited shipping? It could even come with a little Autorun program to backup your existing files, copy over the DVD ones, sync the fresh copy by grabbing all new notes from your old files that occurred while waiting for the shipment, and you're good to go.

-- roschler

• Level 5*

While all of your ideas about monitoring the sync process are nice, I would much rather not needing such tools.

For the longest time (at least 2 yrs) after I started using Evernote the sync process was so fast that it was nearly invisible to me. I barely noticed it, and it never slowed down my workflow.

Then, starting sometime last year, the sync process got much slower. I remember a EN Blog by EN CTO Dave Engberg that discussed how EN has redesigned the EN backend to use less than 50% of the power that it had previously. I can't help but wonder if this has at least contributed to the slow sync process.

Bottom line: I would much rather put all their resources in speeding up the sync process rather than on monitoring tools or alternative delivery media.

• Level 5*

While all of your ideas about monitoring the sync process are nice, I would much rather not needing such tools.

For the longest time (at least 2 yrs) after I started using Evernote the sync process was so fast that it was nearly invisible to me. I barely noticed it, and it never slowed down my workflow.

Then, starting sometime last year, the sync process got much slower. I remember a EN Blog by EN CTO Dave Engberg that discussed how EN has redesigned the EN backend to use less than 50% of the power that it had previously. I can't help but wonder if this has at least contributed to the slow sync process.

Bottom line: I would much rather put all their resources in speeding up the sync process rather than on monitoring tools or alternative delivery media.

Agreed. The information is in the Activity Log if you want to see it. I don't know why it has been so slow, but I just want it to work, and monitoring how it is not working doesn't appeal much to me. I doubt the general public would be very enthusiastic about it either :)

• Level 5

While I imagine there has to be some careful bandwidth management with this many users, there can also be some substantial differences in local performance depending on some basic SQLite handling differences.

Like just inserting bulk data on an initial or major resync, or drop indexes first, do inserts, and recreate indexes.

Only Evernote knows though.

Looking here you can see some DBA's having performance issues at 7GB, whereas others report good performance at 50GB or 160GB,

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/784173/what-are-the-performance-characteristics-of-sqlite-with-very-large-database-file

• Level 5*

Finally, after 3 weeks and 2 days, my sync has completed. Last time I had an issue with corruption, it was due to Evernote doing some kind of note migration on it's own. Any way for me to prevent any kind of server side update to my account?

In the Windows client, see ~Tools ~Options ~General tab - untick "Automatically check for updates" and "Update to pre-release when available" - you would get a chance to check the reaction to updates before you install them.

• 1 year later...

I find myself using a combination of Evernote on the web for management and the "AMAZING" CloudMagic service for fast retrieval of my notes..

In general I have a lot of the issues you have; I want to just have everything in Evernote, but I recently ran into the 100,000 file limit, and syncing circa more than a year after your post is still super-slow; esp. on Android days. I wish there was a way to transfer the indexed database + clippings etc. from one android device to another. Something like Dropbox's LAN sync. So I wouldn't have to wait days for each of my Android devices. Or even better, Evernote could just do all that stuff server-side, and then just transfer data at wire speed to the mobile device.

I loved (the old web-based not app only ugh) CloudMagic as well, but they discontinued it. I'm looking into these as possible web / desktop / laptop / "real" computer replacements at the moment:

1. xendo aka xen.do aka http://xen.do "Search your clouds - See all your important documents, emails, contacts and updates with one search."
  2. primadesk http://www.primadesk.com "Search personal cloud data - Search across personal online content including selected cloud back-up data in a single operation. Search by topic, date range and content type and with a single mouse click get instant access."

Re: export while maintaining searchability - the above two sites were surprisingly hard to find (that's partially why I'm posting here instead of in a new thread - to help people find these possible CloudMagic Cloud Search for the Web alternatives). So I was thinking of making a Debian GNU/Linux virtual machine "personal cloud search appliance" with Recoll http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/recoll/ - a free local search engine that can search inside most document types etc. - along with Geeknote http://www.geeknote.me/ - a command-line Evernote client that amongst other things lets you dump everything to disk - and a bunch of other similar command-line clients that can dump various cloud service data to local disk (there is easy to find stuff specific to gmail, for IMAP, Dropbox and Box just look like normal filesystems and so don't need to be specifically supported, etc.) - there is also a web interface for recoll called "Recoll WebUI" - https://github.com/koniu/recoll-webui - so that'd make it similar to CloudMagic functionality.

So re: exporting, with that setup you could just do a dump of Evernote to disk with Geeknote, and then sever that sync relationship. You'd also want to do a backup of the Evernote database itself, as Geeknote probably only can dump PDFs instead of editable files of some formats Evernote supports via its UI.

Also: I'm really interested in what other people do to find information across all of the locations in which it exists, local and cloud.

Hi,

I do not understand why someone wants to sync the EN-Account from scratch even when the Computer crashes?

EN creates (on Windows PCs) a Databases-Folder (I suppose, on Macs it is not very different). My simple solution was (and is) to copy the complete Databases-Folder regularly on an external device. I had a System Crash a few weeks ago, set up the system, installed EN and replaced the Databases-Folder before logging in EN for the first time.

The syncing was quickly done and I have not lost a single note.

Kind regards,

Olli

• Level 5*

Hi,

I do not understand why someone wants to sync the EN-Account from scratch even when the Computer crashes?

EN creates (on Windows PCs) a Databases-Folder (I suppose, on Macs it is not very different). My simple solution was (and is) to copy the complete Databases-Folder regularly on an external device. I had a System Crash a few weeks ago, set up the system, installed EN and replaced the Databases-Folder before logging in EN for the first time.

The syncing was quickly done and I have not lost a single note.

Kind regards,

Olli

The database content is a bit fundamental to Evernote's operations,  and if it's compromised in any way it can cause "unpredictable" (but usually unwelcome) behaviour.  If you're smart,  you took a copy of your database folder when it wasn't poorly, so you can just replace it if necessary.  If you didn't think that far ahead,  or the replacement is also suspect,  there's another copy on the servers that you can download by just moving the current content elsewhere,  or renaming it.  

It would be nice of Evernote could organise a faster download track for rebuilds,  and they may be looking at that.  Meantime you have to compete with whatever portion of 90M syncs may be going on while you're rebuilding your records.  I agree a pre-emptive backup copy is definitely preferable at the moment - this may have been mentioned in the forums a couple of times...

;)

• 10 months later...
  • Level 5*

Have you seen the latest Centrallo web version?  Just released today!   Look out Evernote!  www.centrallo.com

Wow, that's one wretched web site. Washed out, and pretty much content free. Don't make me work for the information, don't make me install it first. What is it? How does it work? How do you organize your stuff? Who can I ask? Just tell me; I know how to read.

Oh, it's just lists. OK.

Archived