Markdown WYSIWYG support plz?

saileshpanchal

Idea

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+1 for Multimarkdown

This topic started in 2008 and five years later, people are still requesting it! C'mon Evernote :) 

Just because a feature has been requested does not mean it will be implemented. A lot of users have other feature requests & sometimes my feature request may be mutually exclusive of your feature request. Plus, EN must balance resources as well as priorities. And some feature requests they may simply decide to never implement, for whatever reason.

That's a pretty weak answer, though, you have to admit?   I think a simple thumbs-up or thumbs-down is all people really want to hear from any software company.  If Evernote, as you say is balancing resources/priorities or simply deciding not to implement it, then why not just be a customer-friendly company and issue a single post that answers either "Yes, we'll implement it because we love our customers" or "No, we will not implement it because XYZ, sorry".  It would save us all the 5-years of talking at a brick wall.

It's a courtesy issue as much as anything else.

As a heavy user of Drupal, I can say that I have encountered this more than once in my work and we have found the solution that Drupal provides to be pretty robust. There is a switch on every post that can be toggled for the type of input format or markup. Various input format plugins are available to support various styles. We have typically had to either highlight this feature in the UI or focus heavily on it during training to get good use of it though. Typically we set the most basic filter and allow more advanced filters as needed. There is also a drupal module that allows for user selectable defaults.

I wonder if there is anyway to inexpensively incorporate something similar with Evernote?

That's a pretty weak answer, though, you have to admit?   I think a simple thumbs-up or thumbs-down is all people really want to hear from any software company.  If Evernote, as you say is balancing resources/priorities or simply deciding not to implement it, then why not just be a customer-friendly company and issue a single post that answers either "Yes, we'll implement it because we love our customers" or "No, we will not implement it because XYZ, sorry".  It would save us all the 5-years of talking at a brick wall.

No, it's not a "weak answer".  It's a factual answer.  Additionally, Evernote does not publish their roadmap or ETAs. 

Email, IM, Scheduling, Google Voice, and Joomla:

OK, I have been using Evernote for about a week and a half now and I love it.

So much so that I've gone ahead and signed up for the Developer API so I can make some changes for myself. The question I have is if others are interested enough in them that I should make them more...."open"... Since one of the things you would have to do is authorize my programs from my server to access your account[and also I am /assuming/ Premium accounts for some things.

Functions I need short term:

Expanding email to evernote functionality so that:

A) Markdown is supported, notes sent to evernote will be formatted according to the rules of PHP Markdown Extra....bearing in mind the limitations on HTML in evernote. http://michelf.com/projects/php-markdown/extra/

:( Adding a tag function to Thunderbird so I can add tags to the email header and have them show up

C) Expanding that tag function so I can also include those tags in the body of the email when using my cell phone in some manner

D) Allowing for the ability to specify which notebook to place a note in

Note, this means instead of email to your evernote address, the email gets sent to my server and it will then post via the Evernote API

Scheduling:

I want to create one or more notebooks to keep my todos and such in evernote. The basic concept is that they will be stored in ICAL format and sent over to a Google Calendar, as well, the item is reformatted to include all the scheduling info and such as a text note to be stored in Evernote, with an XML file attachment[hence the premium account to store the XML file]. Ideally, there would be 3 way sync so changes made in evernote would be updated the other 2 systems, and all the way around. Limitations will likely be that you can change the time/date/etc in Google and on the website, but not evernote[since that is in ical], you can change the general notes about the task in Evernote and my site, but not Google[as it would be a file attachment on google], while everything can be changed on my site.

My initial pass will loosely follow the GTD structure for organizing tasks. Loosely as I only know what I read online.

In that way, you can have multiple notebooks in evernote assigned to different categories on my site and assigned to different Google calendars.

[so Projects, Troubleshooting, Research, Kids, and Myself might be 5 categories on my website. Projects, Troubleshooting, and Research all get placed on the "Work" Google Calendar, while Kids and Myself get placed on my "Family" Google Calendar. While in evernote, 5 notebooks. Todays Punchlist, Weekly Punchlist, Monthly Punchlist, Yearly Goals, and Someday

Notes from all 5 categories become tags in those notebooks, and are placed in the notebook based on a combination of due date and priority. So I might NEED to go grocery shopping and it should be today, but even though I've noted a due date of today on it, I can set a priority of "not important" and it will be bumped to the Weekly list.]

IM integration of course means that I can query my AIM bot for some basic info from from the notes.

Google Voice to let me route ALL my calls to Google voice and periodically pick up the data from there and place it in notes[yes, I CAN email it to Evernote, but then it goes into the default notebook...and I don't really like the formatting on the email. I want both the text and the MP3 IN evernote, not a link to the mp3 recording. That way if I sync my Android phone I can listen to the voicemail even if I go out of range.

Finally, Joomla integration. All of the above will use Joomla as a central hub.... at the same time, I like the idea of being able to jot notes and research into Evernote, make a first pass on writing up an article there, and then by either tagging it or using a special notebook, have my Joomla website automatically import and publish it[and if I make changes in the Joomla side, save them back to Evernote in some fashion]

The real question is.... do I do this just for myself... in which case I can hack a bunch of fast, messy code together and be done with it. Or are there others who would want to use it enough to actually go to yet ANOTHER website on a daily basis to make some updates and such when need be?

It's one or the other, once I write it, I'm not going to rewrite it. I'm moving on. So if your interested, let me know!

And as I posted this... I went and copied and pasted it so I would remember my thoughts into....you guessed it, Evernote!

So, add one more integration: for forums *I* use, like PHPBB here, add the ability to save my userid and password on my own site, and then have a notebook for forum posts. Tag the post with the forum names, and have it automatically post the note to the forum for me!

thanks for the feedback.

Before my post I had only made a cursory look at the api specification and was aware that jason kaplan had written a python lib for evernote (I'm a django dev) so I knew I had some base libraries to rely on if I wanted to pursue an import methodology.

I hadn't known about the ENML (http://www.evernote.com/about/developer ... c276718743) so I could always provide my own interface on my server to re-construct a structure-presentation model. Good to know.

What spurred all this has been my recent use of markdown. As I've been documenting projects on github, tumblr, and textmate supporting markdown I pretty much write everything in markdown anymore. With that said I don't think there is anything stopping me technically from writing my evernote notes in markdown, just can't see the presentation rules applied.

With all that said, I love how textmate allows me to totally customize the presentation layer to markdown.

anyways thanks gain for the feedback I appreciate it.

I replied on this post some time ago. Time has passed and, unfortunately, I must bid farewell to Evernote. Please understand:

People who use evernote have a motivating REASON behind why they sought out a dedicated platform for organizing their notes. These needs are complex. If evernote tries to cater to "everyone" to increase their market share, they will gain a plethora of random, inconsistent users. Or, they can cater to the customer base that was their inspiration in the first place. These people will never leave them if provided a note-taking application that is truly comprehensive.

I was going to pay for evernote premium, but now I can no longer wait on a company who has complete disregard for the needs of an avid taker of notes.

Now instead, I use Sublime Text 2 for taking my notes. All of my notes are in text format. Sublime Text has excellent search functionality and is NOT subscription-based. With sublime text I get all the syntax highlighting I want including a way to view markdown in a browser. Sorry evernote, you've lost a customer. I am not just one. There are many out there like me who cannot use your service because you're making the same mistake Microsoft did. You're trying to be everything for everyone, thus diluting the power of your original platform. You're model is ever shifting from lean to bloated.

Your strategic planning needs to incorporate the understanding that a market base can support your business if you understand that market and cater to it. But you, like Microsoft and Windows 8, have completely disregarded the signs of the market and needs of your users. Some individual might say that evernote is doing their best with the features of the Trunk. You know what the evernote Trunk is? It's an assortment of appendages to a weak base. Sure, have fun with the add-on products, but NOT before you really have a flagship core that is rock solid DYNAMITE for the avid note-taker! Only then can you comfortably branch out and cater to business individuals seeking a conferencing service... people who want an easy way to send their invoices to evernote... and people who want to obsessively record where they are each second of every day, etc... These are excellent apps and functions, but without the core, they fall over IMHO.

Those using a mac might be interested in a workflow of sorts that automates preview of EN notes in Markdown.

Requirements:

Keyboard Maestro (or similar)

Marked

Byword

Attached is the Keyboard Maestro workflow:

post-91002-0-00730400-1379175098_thumb.p

I created a document called EvernoteSelection.md as this means I don't need to interact with any dialogue boxes.

I did try using the "Write to a file" action, but it seemed to mess up the markdown somehow.

Perhaps someone with better knowledge can improve on the workflow.

Of course anytime you make changes to the EN you need to run, but I find using the keyboard shortcut makes it fairly instant.

No, it's not a "weak answer".  It's a factual answer.  Additionally, Evernote does not publish their roadmap or ETAs. 

Ok, maybe "weak answer" was not the right term, I apologize.  Perhaps the bureaucratic nature of your answer is the rub.  I think the facts as you laid them out are a curt dismissal of the issue and ignore some basics of good customer service.  Remember that people here presumably want to use the product and it's our only way to request features that would, in our opinion, improve the product.  Again, it's a courtesy issue.

Factually speaking, you did seem to ignore that there are over a hundred posts over a five year period without response from Evernote.  For each post to a forum such as this there is a multiplier (100x, 1000x?) for how many other people who feel the same way but aren't retentive enough to waste their time (like me) to issue a post...  ;)

Anyhow, +1 for Markdown or Multimarkdown, and +1 for a thoughtful, courteous, customer-friendly response from Evernote support.  Thx!

For those who prefer to write in Markdown, but want the HTML to reside in Evernote, the Markdown2Evernote service by Brett Terpstra and Martin Kopischke is great. I've also updated it to add wiki functionality. If your interested, my most recent blog post discusses my update, has a download of my version, and links to Martin's most up-to-date version as well: http://bit.ly/17eSfGg 

No, not really. As I wrote in my last paragraph, I'll give EN the time to improve. 

I'm sorry, yes, I edited my post to reflect that. I am as well (obviously, or I wouldn't spend time posting here), but increasingly I wonder why. My question wasn't a troll though; I'm seriously asking what role Evernote's software plays in your solution. Not as in "What's wrong with you that you're still using it," but as in, "Is there value here that I'm missing?"

There are many things we love at EN. Here are some reasons (but not in a special order and only focused to us):

- EN is a beautiful software and love to work with beautiful software

- The web clipper saves us a lot of time and works like a charm (perfect for our press clippings)

- The overview in the card view with its picture in the card (again we're very visual)

- It replaced our CRM since we just have a few but special needs in our company setup and focus

- and many more…

(but I am afraid we're a bit off-tpoic now ;-)

• Level 5

@Mike Korner with your talk of "paragraph styles" I think it points out there's a "level agreement" between Markdown and the expressiveness (or lack of) of the Evernote data stream: There's not much in (Multi)Markdown that can't directly translate into ENML and vice versa. HTML has far too much to strip out on its way to ENML.

Ok, maybe "weak answer" was not the right term, I apologize.  Perhaps the bureaucratic nature of your answer is the rub.  I think the facts as you laid them out are a curt dismissal of the issue and ignore some basics of good customer service.  Remember that people here presumably want to use the product and it's our only way to request features that would, in our opinion, improve the product.  Again, it's a courtesy issue.

Factually speaking, you did seem to ignore that there are over a hundred posts over a five year period without response from Evernote.  For each post to a forum such as this there is a multiplier (100x, 1000x?) for how many other people who feel the same way but aren't retentive enough to waste their time (like me) to issue a post...  ;)

Anyhow, +1 for Markdown or Multimarkdown, and +1 for a thoughtful, courteous, customer-friendly response from Evernote support.  Thx!

I'm not affiliated with Evernote, as you can see from my sig.  You posted something & I'm simply reiterating what has been said on these message boards hundreds of times.  Things you can easily find yourself, if you look.  That is:

• Just because a feature is requested hundreds of times over does not mean it will be implemented soon, if ever.
  • Evernote does not publish their roadmap
  • Evernote does not publish ETAs
  • Additionally, Evernote reads all the posts on this board but does not reply to each & every one or even to each & every thread.

I use applications like OmmWriter or iA Writer to write in but I organize everything in Evernote. For writing long-form content, the Evernote window isn't a great experience. I'd like to see something like Evernote Clearly (simple, minimalist, elegant) but instead of using it to read content in, it would be for creating content.

One could hit a button on the note they're editing and the full screen is taken up by an elegant and distraction-free text editor.

• Level 5*

full screen on the mac version does this, right?

personally, i don't do a whole lot of long form writing in evernote. i prefer scrivener. it would be great if the two could integrate somehow (get on that third party developers!) like simplenote or elements does with scrivener.

Oh man a thousand times yes. Viewing a note before editing could show the web preview edition, then tapping or clicking to edit gives you the markdown. This would be so wonderful I'd dance and spin and sing Evernote's praises from atop the highest mountain I can find in the Chicago area.

Yes, and there are a bunch of other people willing to do similar feats if only *their* main missing feature were implemented. 

I replied on this post some time ago. Time has passed and, unfortunately, I must bid farewell to Evernote. Please understand:

People who use evernote have a motivating REASON behind why they sought out a dedicated platform for organizing their notes. These needs are complex. If evernote tries to cater to "everyone" to increase their market share, they will gain a plethora of random, inconsistent users. Or, they can cater to the customer base that was their inspiration in the first place. These people will never leave them if provided a note-taking application that is truly comprehensive.

I was going to pay for evernote premium, but now I can no longer wait on a company who has complete disregard for the needs of an avid taker of notes.

Now instead, I use Sublime Text 2 for taking my notes. All of my notes are in text format. Sublime Text has excellent search functionality and is NOT subscription-based. With sublime text I get all the syntax highlighting I want including a way to view markdown in a browser. Sorry evernote, you've lost a customer. I am not just one. There are many out there like me who cannot use your service because you're making the same mistake Microsoft did. You're trying to be everything for everyone, thus diluting the power of your original platform. You're model is ever shifting from lean to bloated.

Your strategic planning needs to incorporate the understanding that a market base can support your business if you understand that market and cater to it. But you, like Microsoft and Windows 8, have completely disregarded the signs of the market and needs of your users. Some individual might say that evernote is doing their best with the features of the Trunk. You know what the evernote Trunk is? It's an assortment of appendages to a weak base. Sure, have fun with the add-on products, but NOT before you really have a flagship core that is rock solid DYNAMITE for the avid note-taker! Only then can you comfortably branch out and cater to business individuals seeking a conferencing service... people who want an easy way to send their invoices to evernote... and people who want to obsessively record where they are each second of every day, etc... These are excellent apps and functions, but without the core, they fall over IMHO.

First, I'm sure EN understands if their product does not meet your needs & so you move to something else.

Second, in no way does Evernote have "complete disregard for the needs of an avid taker of notes."  Just because they do not meet your needs does not mean they don't meet the needs of many/most of the other users. 

Third:  "People who use evernote have a motivating REASON behind why they sought out a dedicated platform for organizing their notes."  Hmmm...  I know many people (including me) who grew tired of transitioning from one platform to another over the years/decades.  One of EN's niches is the multi platform use. 

As Jefito says, that's why there is chocolate & vanilla.  Just because EN does not fulfill your needs does not mean it is not already a "rock solid DYNAMITE" product.

IMHO.

Exactly!

@Mike Korner with your talk of "paragraph styles" I think it points out there's a "level agreement" between Markdown and the expressiveness (or lack of) of the Evernote data stream: There's not much in (Multi)Markdown that can't directly translate into ENML and vice versa. HTML has far too much to strip out on its way to ENML.

@Martin,

I don't want Evernote to read/translate HTML. Let me explain ... 

I can already put a plain text note in Evernote today that uses MultiMarkdown syntax. Evernote just needs to add  the ability to translate an existing note containing MultiMarkdown into ENML (either permanently or for previewing). 

Here's a use case: When I start a new idea on the iPhone, for example, I type in MultiMarkdown then make the choice whether to have DRAFTS (the iPhone App I use) convert to my MultiMarkdown to ENML, HTML, or leave it in MultiMarkdown. The decision depends on what I'm going to do next ...

• If I know I'm done and just want to store the note in Evernote, I go with ENML so it looks pretty when it arrives in Evernote.
  • If I know I'm not done and will continue writing later, I usually stick with MultiMarkdown. Then I can grab the MultiMarkdown out of Evernote and use it with whatever computer/tool I'm using then. Sure I could use Dropbox and a .txt file but that gets unruly fast with multiple files in play. Evernote is a far better file cabinet, if you will. Instead of having to manually grab the MultiMarkdown from the Evernote note and work on it using a separate text tool, I'd rather work with my MultiMarkdown in Evernote (because I have it everywhere). All Evernote needs to do is give the ability to preview (in pretty form) the MultiMarkdown or convert it permanently to ENML (and hopefully a separate option for the equivalent HTML). Generally these notes will eventually get published outside of Evernote using Wordpress/HTML or a PDF file.

Hopefully that makes sense. 

• Level 5*

One could hit a button on the note they're editing and the full screen is taken up by an elegant and distraction-free text editor.

Double-click on a note in one of the Note list views to open the Note in its own window, and then maximize that window to fill the entire screen.

I just posted this feature request:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/62973-feature-request-inline-preview-of-markdown-and-plain-text-attachments/

It's just asking for Evernote to support inline preview for Markdown attachments (much like it does for PDFs, Excel spreadsheets, and others).  This would scratch my itch as far as Markdown in Evernote is concerned, and hopefully shouldn't be too difficult to implement.

Maybe I should have posted this here instead, but I thought it was distinct enough to warrant a separate topic to avoid confusing two separate, albeit related, issues.

• Level 5*

Actually Markdown allows embedded HTML so even the "ENML-only" stuff might be catered for. But that's not an entirely satisfactory solution.

I'm thinking the todo stuff, which isn't even HTML. I think that things get messy for the users if you represent it the way that Markdown would, or Evernote could code up some kind of Markdown extension to handle that, but that seems messy too.

I'm just recalling a Wiki that I used a few years back that had Markdown and rich-text editing of the content; round-tripping was a problem, and when things went boom, it was difficult to figure out exactly what went wrong and how to fix it, except by going back to a previous version and starting all over again. Maybe things have improved since then, but I wouldn't bet that there wouldn't be problems, either.

Yet another +1 for markdown support. Feels like a such a great match to the entire Evernote philosophy.

A step in the right direction would be to allow users to enter straight HTML into notes. This would allow or ease a number of work-arounds.

Looking forward to this.

Thx // pwever

• Level 5*

I think it would be great if a third-party app supplied the functionality. I use Scrivener. I use Markdown. However, I am not so sure it would be good for Evernote to invest its resources into catering for this crowd. I'd rather see some other features that would bring in more users and make the experience for power users better as well.

Thanks for the feedback. Wiki markup would be theoretically possible for creating a brand new note, but would be really difficult for editing existing notes since the internal (HTML-based) formatting of an existing note doesn't convert easily into a simplified "wiki" syntax.

This isn't a problem on a real "wiki", since the wiki syntax is their internal representation of an entry, but it would definitely pose a challenge for us, since we support a more rich internal document structure and format.

• Level 5*

On Reminders I'd guess this is suffering from "Release 1" Syndrome - not that I personally see problems with its implementation. And I do think Reminders is best placed integrated with Evernote - datastreamwise and clientwise.

Don't know whether I'd call it "suffering", but I do know that a not uncommon strategy for software developers is to put out a basic set of functionality, and then wait for feedback so that they can adjust/fine tune things.

+1

Frankly, it's hard to believe (Multi)Markdown support still hasn't been added to Evernote.

Aside from all the reasons already covered for why Markdown support should exist, there's now the Presentation Mode. I'd love to be able to make use of this new feature but the current lack of Markdown support makes it practically useless…

Giving Evernote a spin after organizing most of my life with a variety of Emacs packages (including Markdown). Really surprised something so simple as a text transformation isn't part of the package, especially given how many reads and responses this topic has.

For what it's worth, another +1 for markdown support (or some capability that allows others to write such a plugin).

• Level 5*

A step in the right direction would be to allow users to enter straight HTML into notes. This would allow or ease a number of work-arounds.

The problem with this is that the Evernote note format doesn't support all HTML tags (more info here: http://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enml.php), so there'd need to be an extra layer of error-checking / identification before a note could be saved. But if you want to do that sort fo stuff, there is a workaround: http://enml-editor.ping13.net/

Thought I'd check in to see if this made any progress at all. To me a simple toggle between markdown (plain text really) and rich text would be great. 

To whoever stated that markdown was technical or whatever the statement was, read this: https://kdp.amazon.com/community/message.jspa?messageID=465298

If you don't want to add markdown to evernote, how about creating another product: "Evercode"?  If I could have a combination of evernote and sublime text that allowed me to save snippets of code, like GitHub Gists, as well as images and all of the organization/tagging features of evernote, I'd pay good money for that.

Count me in as one who want Markdown support in Evernote. It might be that I'm even satisfied with a simpler solution than most of you.

I would like to use Evernote as the backend for keeping notes written in (multi)markdown - I want to use Marked to format in the cases when I want HTML/PDF etc. But mostly I just want Evernote to store the raw markdown which I then can read/edit in some application. In other words I would like Evernote to support the ODB Editor Suite on the Mac (I have no idea how this works on Windows). I also would like to have a good text editor on iOS - Byword can publish to Evernote but is there some app that uses Evernote as the note database?

The funny thing is there's two functions within Evernote that prove an automated formatting function can work: Simplify Formatting and Remove Formatting. It should be a simple third option. Maybe Simplify Formatting (Markdown), Simplify Formatting (RTF), and Remove Formatting (Plain Text). Just a suggestion.

Archived