(Archived) Selective Sync and/or Preventing Mac Note Caching

SteveNY

Idea

Is there a way just to have just certain notebooks sync in the latest Mac client? There are some notebooks I don't need/want on my work computer. Related, when you sign out of Evernote - a seemingly viable solution - it seems like all notes are still cached in the Library folder as HTML files so the only workaround is to use the Web version.

Thanks!

11 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

No option like that in the desktop clients. By default all notes are synced to the Evernote servers. In addition, premium users can designate a notebook as local, that is non-synced. But you cannot designate a notebook as cloud-only, at least at this time (this feature been requested before).

• Level 5*

Correct. Logging out does not stop this behavior. The notes are stored on your hard drive, so tht they're available when you're offline. I don't know what you mean by "cached on the desktop", though.

(this feature been requested before).

Indeed it has. Many, many times in many many threads over the course of the years. They keep promising it, and I keep checking back to see if Evernote is a viable option for me yet, but still nothing comes.

How hard can one database flag be to implement?! And think of all the terabytes of unwanted traffic that would be saved.

So, for now, Evernote remains nothing more than a screenshot-taker, while Dropbox and Google Drive - with their powers of selective sync - remain the choice for my small SSD-based palmtop and limited-speed internet connection.

Indeed it has. Many, many times in many many threads over the course of the years. They keep promising it, and I keep checking back to see if Evernote is a viable option for me yet, but still nothing comes.

How hard can one database flag be to implement?! And think of all the terabytes of unwanted traffic that would be saved.

So, for now, Evernote remains nothing more than a screenshot-taker, while Dropbox and Google Drive - with their powers of selective sync - remain the choice for my small SSD-based palmtop and limited-speed internet connection.

Try Catch.com , depending on your use case could be more useful for you. 

• Level 5*

Hi. Welcome to the forums. Catch does a lot of interesting things, but does it allow for selective syncing? My understanding was that Spaces (right?) were created and you could choose to upload them to the web if you wanted, but can you delete them off your hard drive? Maybe so. I haven't used it for a very long time.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. Catch does a lot of interesting things, but does it allow for selective syncing? My understanding was that Spaces (right?) were created and you could choose to upload them to the web if you wanted, but can you delete them off your hard drive? Maybe so. I haven't used it for a very long time.

Catch doesn't have desktop client, you can only use it online, iphone , ipad and android.

• Level 5*

Catch doesn't have desktop client, you can only use it online, iphone , ipad and android.

Oh. I see. Well, I don't see any need to switch to Catch, then.  Following the same logic, you can use Evernote online and never download the client to your desktop if you want to avoid having notebooks eat up your storage space. 

In my case, I went an alternate route:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/29245-how-to-optimize-your-evernote-experience/#entry173506

Oh. I see. Well, I don't see any need to switch to Catch, then.  Following the same logic, you can use Evernote online and never download the client to your desktop if you want to avoid having notebooks eat up your storage space. 

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/29245-how-to-optimize-your-evernote-experience/#entry173506

They have more useful phone app, anyway, selective sync should be easy to implement, there a NIXNOTE http://sourceforge.net/projects/nevernote/files/ for evernote that has this feature built-in.

• Level 5*

They have more useful phone app, anyway, selective sync should be easy to implement, there a NIXNOTE http://sourceforge.net/projects/nevernote/files/ for evernote that has this feature built-in.

I don't know what is easy or difficult to implement when you have 45 million + users across the world, your app on every major platform, and 20,000+ third-party developers using your API. I imagine every change, no matter how seemingly insignificant, has repercussions. 

At any rate, the staff know about the issue, and they are working on it.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/34234-evernote-505/?p=186642

Archived