(Archived) Any way to change "Shared by" on notes shared on web?

Hello all,

I'm a school teacher and am enjoying creating lesson plans on Evernote. This way I can have access to them anywhere. The thing is, I'd like to share them with my students' families.

I can include a link to the note on my class page, but it says "Shared by <my name>" I'd just as soon not have my families have my user name.

Is there any way to hide that?

Or would you suggest I create an EN account JUST for teaching and that way it would be separate from my personal?

Thanks for any advice. :) Greatly appreciated!

• Level 5*

If you are a Premium user on one account you get an option in the File menu to "add another user" which can be your 'other' free account. That account can then share notebooks with other free users. It used to be that to allow your sharees to edit notes your sharing account had to be premium. It now seems that you can allow editing even from a free account, so I'd start out there and see what happens!

Okay, so one more question (I hope it's just one LOL):

I have a Macbook Pro at work. If I install the desk client and have my Account #1 be Premium, and Account #2 be free... I'm guessing to only use Account #2, I'd have to do it via the web client... otherwise, when my Macbook tries to sync, it may erase my data (on the computer).

Is that correct?

Perhaps I should just go Premium and experiment... as a teacher I know there's more learning in doing than trying to figure it out by reading. LOL

Again...many thanks!

• Level 5*

Ah - two minds.. I just answered your question I think. You have to switch between accounts and work on one or the other, but you should be able to do it from your desktop client. You could use the web client if you are working in one account but have a sudden urge to do something in the other, but switching for me is pretty easy and quick (and my main account has a fair number of notes).

Hello all,

First off, thanks to Gazumped for his help.

Secondly, I've managed to do the following:

1. Figure out how to share from my personal (PREMIUM) account to my free (teacher) account.

However, when my free (teacher) account gets a link from the JOINED notebook and shares it...it still says "share from <PREMIUM>"

So, I'm guessing I have to:

1. Doing all this with my free (teacher) account:

2. Copy the note from the personal (PREMIUM) account.

3. Deposit it into a notebook that is in the free (teacher) account

4. THEN share it and get the link?

Is that correct? Or is there some other way to do it?

Maybe I should explain what I'm attempting:

• I want to create lesson plans with Evernote
  • I want to be able to attach handout files, etc. to the lesson plans.
  • I want to be able to share the link to the note (via URL) on my class webpage so parents can have the information and the resources
  • I want to do this without the parents knowing my personal Evernote user name (thus the reason I created a 2nd account)

Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks much!

• Level 5*

My bad - I understood that you were trying to do this, but didn't really explain my thinking properly.

If you have a premium account, you obviously want to use its better facilities to the full so it makes sense to do most of your work there, and rely on your 'pen name' account just as a publishing option. One thing to beware of - you have higher note size and upload limits in your premium account. I'm not sure what would happen if you tried to share a note which was larger than is allowed in a free account via your free pen-name account or to your students' free accounts, but it might not go so well. If you have problems this could be a cause.

My thought was that you'd do your work on your prem account, but 'share' at least one notebook with your own pen name account. If however you then simply share this on to your students, you're just passing on the invitation that premium you initially offered, hence the label still shows your prem user id.

However if in your free account you copy notes across into another lesson plan notebook which pen-name you has shared with your students, that's another new invitation which has been issued by pen-name you rather than the 'real' you so won't show your premium user id. (Is it me or is it hot in here?)

And if you're thinking 'it would be a lot easier for me to do all this from the free account in the first place' you're probably right. I guess though that a lot of the material you'll want to copy or refer to is in your personal account. There's no harm in doing one or the other or a combination of both - just work out what suits you best.

As you already found, working with multiple accounts can be bad for your leettle grey cells. Best to take it slow until you're sure things work out correctly!

Hope that helped! :blink:

I second the motion for what I'm calling "anonymous sharing" - that is,the ability to share a note without having "Shared by <username>" showing at the top. I cannot actually think of a reason why I would need that information there, and I can think of many situations where one would NOT want one's username shown. If I share a document from Google Docs/Drive, or from Dropbox, it is shared anonymously; the recipient does not learn my Google or Dropbox username. It would be better, I think, if Evernote did the same (or at least, offered the option to do so).

• Level 5*

I can see why Evernote wouldn't want users to have the potential ability to 'spoof' their shares as coming from someone else, which is what being able to anonymise your shares could imply; but I agree using the user name seems.. unhelpful. But then if it were an anonymous code, Evernote would have the ability to identify the account eventually, and a sufficiently inquisitive sharee, or certainly any legal authority could connect the dots fairly quickly. Would an account code do the job for you, or can you suggest an alternative?

I think an account code would suffice, and as you say, Gazumped... should the need arise, Evernote could assist in helping legal authorities.

I think I'll just have to copy the note and share it from my "teacher" account.

And if I'm worried about the space only allotted to free accounts, if I must, I could always make my teacher account also a premium account. Yes, it's another $45, but I guess for me not having my students' families know my Evernote personal user name is worth that. I guess it all depends on what's important to me.

• 4 months later...

I second the motion for what I'm calling "anonymous sharing" - that is,the ability to share a note without having "Shared by <username>" showing at the top. I cannot actually think of a reason why I would need that information there, and I can think of many situations where one would NOT want one's username shown. If I share a document from Google Docs/Drive, or from Dropbox, it is shared anonymously; the recipient does not learn my Google or Dropbox username. It would be better, I think, if Evernote did the same (or at least, offered the option to do so).

I agree with u, pls offer the option,share  anonymous or not.!!!!!!

• Level 5*

As has already been implied,  the capacity for anonymous mischief in Evernote is pretty much the same as for any anonymous service.  If you really want to get your name and any ID off your material,  just use Evernote to collate information and one of the many hosting services to set up an "anonymous" web site.  Or set up an Evernote account with an alias.

Archived