Stop sharing a Notebook

• Level 5*

A while back I accepted an offer to "share" a notebook. I would like to discontinue doing so.

I have tried to delete the Notebook and erase the shared notes but I cannot.

How do I turn this spigot off??

Thanks,

Bill

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

If you are using Mac, right-click on the notebook, "Leave Notebook." If you are using Windows, right-click on the notebook, "Delete." If you are using the Web, click on the arrow and "Leave" the notebook. If you are using mobile, I do not believe any of the clients allow you to leave or delete a joined notebook.

Yes, I love viewing others notebooks. Not only are you gaining knowledge but it is interesting to see how they are using Evernote.

I removed all my shared notebooks and it made a world of difference in searching and tags.

Some information was lost, but it was worth the price.

In what way did it make a difference? Speed I guess?

Regards

Chris

• Level 5

Yes, I love viewing others notebooks. Not only are you gaining knowledge but it is interesting to see how they are using Evernote.

In what way did it make a difference? Speed I guess?

No, speed was not affected. I only had a dozen or so shared notebooks that I deleted.

The problems that I could not solve were:

1.) An easy or default method to search my content only

2.) The intermixing of foreign tags with my tags drove me batty.

3.) There was no way to use the very powerful "Find in Evernote (hot key Win + Shift + F) for my notes only.

When I need some outside info, I rely on Google or GrumpyMonkey's wonderful collection of Shared Notebooks.

Instead of Joining I select the View option.

http://www.princeton...dnotebooks.html

For the time being, Evernote now behaves correctly and I still have access to the Shared info.

Best of both worlds.

Thanks for that.

Yes, I have spotted a lot of tags that I will never use which came in with a food related Notebook I joined. To start with I could not understand where they had come from!

It would be useful to be able to delete those from the list. Certainly would clean my list up!

Yes, I find Grumpys' shared Notebooks very useful. Read them religiously when I first started out on this Evernote journey!

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5*

Thanks for the kind words gentleman. I have also left/deleted most of my joined notebooks, even though I enjoyed them a lot, and miss having them around. I had several problems.

(1) Lack of space on my local drive. If we had the ability to toggle notebooks offline/online, as we do with the mobile clients, then I'd be using not only joined notebooks, but lost of attachments as well.

(2) Lack of control over searches. This has been covered elsewhere.

(3) Lack of control over tags.

(4) Lack of control over notebooks.

(5) User error -- publishing my private stuff into very public notebooks. Horribly embarrassing, and all too easy to do (if you are as clumsy as I am).

Ironically, I was one of the people pushing for Evernote to integrate shared notebooks into our accounts! I had hoped for more control over the parameters of this integration, though -- otherwise my external brain is leaking out of my external skull, and foreign elements are finding their way into it. I am brimming with suggestions for this, if developers want to hear. For now, I'll just make the general observation that the current implementation needs some work to address the issues I raised here.

Thanks Grumpy, when I Right-Clicked on the Notebook in Question, I got a message saying "Notebook Settings". I clicked on this and got a screen that gave me the following info:

Linked Notebook - NAME

Shared by - Author of Linked NB

You Can - View Notes

Check Box to select whether or not this Notebook will Sync with the Notebook in question

Drop down to choose how often my computer Sync's with Notebook. Choices are from 5 min to 1 Hr or each time EN Syncs

Option to CANX or SAVE

I unchecked the Box to deselect the option to Sync the Notebook with the Computer and left everything else as is

I then Closed EN and reopened it (OSX 10.8.2) and tried to delete some of the Notes. When a Note was Right Clicked, the DELETE option was greyed out. Neither the DELETE Key or COMMAND DELETE deleted the notes.

Did I miss something?

Bill

Hi Bill,

No you cannot delete notes from a 'shared' notebook, unless you have been given full rights to do so, which is unlikely if you have joined on a public share.

What computer are you on?

On a Windows machine I right click and get the following options:

Rename

Delete

Add To Stack

Export Notes

Properties

Best regards

Chris

Hi Bill,

On my iMac running version 5.04 of Evernote, when I right click a shared folder, this is the option I get if I have full control:

ScreenShot2013-01-09at071450_zps47a7504f.png

This is what I get if it is a public shared Notebook that I have no control over:

ScreenShot2013-01-09at072321_zpsc1e1208b.png

So the option you would need to tick is 'Leave Notebook'. If you don't have that option then 'support' need to get involved.

Best regards

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

I believe this is related. How do I go about STOP sharing a notebook (I'm running Windows). I right-click on the notebook and see NO option to stop sharing. All I see is "Share notebook" which doesn't help me.

I'd like an answer to this as well Tedology.

• Level 5*

I believe this is related. How do I go about STOP sharing a notebook (I'm running Windows). I right-click on the notebook and see NO option to stop sharing. All I see is "Share notebook" which doesn't help me.

I'd like an answer to this as well Tedology.

Modify Sharing.

• Level 5*

I don't see anything about "stop sharing this notebook so the icon changes from the blue icon with two people in it to the regular unshared notebook" icon.

• Level 5*

I don't see anything about "stop sharing this notebook so the icon changes from the blue icon with two people in it to the regular unshared notebook" icon.

Hi. I think we are talking about two different things (or I am just confused).

(1) A joined notebook (someone else's public notebook, or one you have been invited to join). I think this was the OP's question, and I think I answered it correctly saying: "If you are using Mac, right-click on the notebook, "Leave Notebook." If you are using Windows, right-click on the notebook, "Delete." If you are using the Web, click on the arrow and "Leave" the notebook. If you are using mobile, I do not believe any of the clients allow you to leave or delete a joined notebook." Does this sound like what you are seeing?

(2) A shared notebook (a notebook you share publicly or privately by invitation). If it is a public one, you do the following:

On Mac, right click > modify sharing > delete public link.

On Windows, right click > share notebook > delete public link.

On the Web, click on the arrow next to the notebook > modify sharing > delete public link.

If it is a private one, then you go to modify (or share on Windows) the notebook and click on the "x" next to each individual's name. Does this sound like what you are seeing?

If you leave a notebook (#1), then the notebook disappears. If you delete a public link or remove all of the invitees (#2), then the notebook shared icon will disappear, and it will just be a regular notebook again.

• Level 5*

Well, you have to manually delete every persoon from the share, then sync. This is a hassle when there are 20+ people on it, and then everything has to sync back from EN to show the non-sharing icon for the folder. There should be one button that says "Stop Sharing."

• Level 5*

Well, you have to manually delete every persoon from the share, then sync. This is a hassle when there are 20+ people on it, and then everything has to sync back from EN to show the non-sharing icon for the folder. There should be one button that says "Stop Sharing."

Hi Ed. That sounds like a good suggestion to me as well. In some cases, it might be faster to just make a new notebook and move the notes from the shared notebook into it, and then delete the old shared notebook.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello all,

If I am the originator of a shared notebook, on my Mac system right clicking does not give me the Leave option (as you'd expect). As the originator, this is a locked note—how do I delete this?

Ah: I see Sally S posted the same Q., last year. If I hear nothing, I will post a new thread. 

TIA, KL

• Level 5*

Ah: I see Sally S posted the same Q., last year. If I hear nothing, I will post a new thread.

Please don't -- there's no need. Since you added to the topic, it will be seen as having new content, just the same as a new topic. If someone has an answer, they'll answer, but this is a user forum, and no answers are guaranteed. You could also try opening a support request for the official Evernote support team.

Thanks jefito; I already did make a new post, and it has been answered.

I run a forum using the same software; on ours we don't have a problem with multiple posts on any particular issue, because our experience is that, while an older thread may be found by a search engine (and what might bring someone here in the first place, as in my case), people with answers do not look at older posts as often as newer ones. And I saw than no one has answered Sally S's post on the same subject, posted here five months ago. But, please, as a moderator, feel free to delete my post.

Since I posted (and I have been testing E.'s capacities in this regard) there is a crucial difference between notes and notebooks, WRT to sharing. Very likely I need to read your documentation, but it's voluminous, and time is limited. Does a Venn diagram (or similar, like a mind map) of what E. can do exist anywhere? One of the most common problems of modern software is that there is no way to understand how the program thinks. Please link me if so.

Thanks for your response. I do hope to contribute here in time, once I know what this excellent software can do.

• Level 5*

Thanks jefito; I already did make a new post, and it has been answered.

I run a forum using the same software; on ours we don't have a problem with multiple posts on any particular issue, because our experience is that, while an older thread may be found by a search engine (and what might bring someone here in the first place, as in my case), people with answers do not look at older posts as often as newer ones. And I saw than no one has answered Sally S's post on the same subject, posted here five months ago. But, please, as a moderator, feel free to delete my post.

Generally we get a lot of duplicate topics here, and as it's tedious to answer the same questions over and over again (though that happens as well) and painful when a question is answered in one place but not another, we tend try to discourage duplicate posts if possible. But they happen, so no big deal -- my tendency would be to merge identical questions, and I do that sometimes, but sometimes it's not worth the effort (mods here being either busy Evernote employees or busy non-Evernote volunteers like me -- I'm sure that you understand the dynamic). Aside from that, I know that search engines can and do turn up old posts -- I use search a lot since I don't Evernote every good answer here (unlike some folks). Anyways, as I said, no problem.

Re the Evernote architecture:

Notes contain content: text, images, attachments, plus some metadata (title, tags, various dates, etc.)

Notebooks contain only notes, and nothing else; each note belongs to exactly one notebook.

Stacks contain only notebooks, and nothing else; each notebook belongs to at most one stack.

Tags are used to label notes only; a note can have an arbitrary number of tags, and a tag may apply to an arbitrary number of notes.

re sharing, short form is that you can share a note, but that's for viewing purposes only. The more useful option is sharing by notebook: you can share a notebook with write privileges (one max for free users, unlimited for premium users), or just viewing privileges. You might find this Knowledge Base article helpful: http://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/24973036

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, you have to manually delete every person from the share, then sync. This is a hassle when there are 20+ people on it, and then everything has to sync back from EN to show the non-sharing icon for the folder. There should be one button that says "Stop Sharing."

Yeah, I agree. The oddity is that even though no names remain in the list of people I used to a share a folder with, the "group-sharing" icon still appears to the left of the folder.  

And the folder is not Published.  So why the icon?  

• 3 months later...

GrumpyMonkey,

There is no such option in my version of Evernote. (Dec 2015).

This is exactly precisely why apps need to stop changing their user interface every six months.

There is also NO reason this should be this difficult. There should be an option to stop sharing notebook right off the right-click menu. No excuse for it to be this difficult.

There is no X ANYWHERE next to people's names. I can change permissions and no permission is NOT on the list.

I am left without a way to do this. And Evernote wants me to pay a subscription for this. Problems like this are making it much less likely this will happen.

• Level 5*

Hi.  What is it you're trying to change?  Sharing on a note?  A notebook?  And was it a share to individuals,  or making a notebook Public?  Or are you removing a shared-in note or notebook?  GM's last post on this was just about 3 years ago,  so yes the interface has probably changed;  but I'm having no difficulty with modify sharing here.  

Evernote's help center covers some of the current sharing options here - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005417 and here https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208314748  

• 2 years later...
On 1/7/2013 at 4:59 AM, GrumpyMonkey said:

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

If you are using Mac, right-click on the notebook, "Leave Notebook." If you are using Windows, right-click on the notebook, "Delete." If you are using the Web, click on the arrow and "Leave" the notebook. If you are using mobile, I do not believe any of the clients allow you to leave or delete a joined notebook.

Okay, I'm confused.  If I delete the notebook, how do I use it?

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, Joe Loves Watercolors said:

Okay, I'm confused.  If I delete the notebook, how do I use it?

You are commenting on instructions for
"A while back I accepted an offer to "share" a notebook. I would like to discontinue doing so."

The Notebook is owned by another user; the only way to use the notebook is to accept the share.

Archived