(Archived) fix notebook ascii sort order

Since upgrading to Evernote 5 I've noticed that Evernote isn't respecting ASCII sort order for my notebook names.

"{" should sort after alphabetical characters, for example. In older versions of Evernote it did sort that way. Now, not.

Please fix.

• Level 5

I'd like to know if I can put my google finance portfolio in a note will it be updated real time and how do I do that - make it an attachment?

What does this have to do with my post?

You are right to be peeved. Mediagirl's post has absolutely nothing to do with the thread's topic.

She hi-jacked another post using the same tactic.

I don't have a Mac, so I can't help you on your original question.

Hopefully one of the Mac users has some insight into the sort rules.

• Level 5*
Since upgrading to Evernote 5 I've noticed that Evernote isn't respecting ASCII sort order for my notebook names.

"{" should sort after alphabetical characters, for example. In older versions of Evernote it did sort that way. Now, not.

The ASCII table that I consulted has '{' as a larger binary value than the English alphabetic characters. Makes it at least conceivable that that sort order could be expected. However, notebooks names are in Unicode, not ASCII, so a different collation might be used (since the notebook names can contain non-ASCII characters, e.g. Á, ü, etc. Collation order is conventional anyways; many people would probably expect that notebooks "a", "B", and "A" be sorted as "A", "a", "B" rather than strictly numerical "A", "B", "a".

Anyways, for what it's worth, when I tried it on the Windows client for comparison's sake (since I do not have a Mac), I noticed that '{' sorted before alphabetical characters.

Or it could be a bug...

• 4 weeks later...

Is this being worked on as a bug, or is the sort order intentionally not the same as ASCII or UNICODE? It would be very helpful for the {, |, }, and ~ to sort below alpha characters, especially for notebook stack names.

Thanks,

Mark

• Level 5*
Is this being worked on as a bug, or is the sort order intentionally not the same as ASCII or UNICODE? It would be very helpful for the {, |, }, and ~ to sort below alpha characters, especially for notebook stack names.

If you think that it's a bug, you should report it in a support request (see the link in my signature). That's the official way. This is a user forum, and you may not get direct Evernote feedback here, though they do read every post.

I actually use those characters to sort my preferred items to the top of a list...

That's the beauty of sorting working the way it should: only the characters I listed sort after alpha characters; everything else (like period, comma, hyphen, underscore, etc,) sorts before, so you get the flexibility to do both. The way it's working now, you have to use an alpha char (like z) to force something to the bottom, which works, but it's awfully ugly, imo.

If you think that it's a bug, you should report it in a support request (see the link in my signature). That's the official way. This is a user forum, and you may not get direct Evernote feedback here, though they do read every post.

Done - thanks!

Done - thanks!

Please be aware EN may not consider this a bug. Also be aware they will most likely simply thank you for the suggestion & close the ticket without indicating if/when this may be changed. They do not post their roadmap or ETAs.

• 2 weeks later...

For what its worth,  here is my lastest set of notes on sorting and searching, etc. I have not tried everthing. 

!
"  Sorts, but cannot search on this
# Can't email into notebooks with this (so I am told)
$
%
*  To search on this you have to use a double quote before the *
:  Can search on this, contrary to other reports
?
@ Can't email into notebooks with this (so I am told)? 
^
|
~
+
<
>
Numbers and letters, Caps and small case sort one after another (E,e,F,f, etc.)
- ( ignored by sort order, so just takes next character and sorts on that)
' ( ignored by sort order, so just takes next character and sorts on that)

Archived