(Archived) Want to use Evernote Premium for Photo Storage but worried about running out of space on my mobile devices.

OK, here's the deal.. I have many gigs of photos I'd like to eventually upload to my Evernote account. I know the premium version only allows 1 GB of uploads a month but I'm fine with uploading them all gradually.

Now here's my main concern.. my mobile devices all have limited storage space (less than 10 GB.) If I were to fill my Evernote account with many GB of photos, will they appear on my smartphones and take up local storage space? Or can I access them via the network on demand from my Evernote account?

The ability to potentially have virtually unlimited storage space (over time) is an attractive feature of Evernote.. otherwise I'd use Dropbox or buy an external HD.

• Level 5*

Hi - welcome to the forums. Various points from your query -

• You can buy more space on a month by month basis if you need it.
  • Notes are stored on your desktop and synced with the Evernote server. Unless you specify a notebook for "offline searches" it won't be downloaded to your mobile device. Without offline searching however your notes won't be accessible if you don't have a network connection.

However. Evernote doesn't have any picture management features, and I keep all my photos in Picassa, backed up to an external drive. Unlimited (eventual) online storage isn't all it's cracked up to be - you still should really keep your own backup of the database somewhere.

• Level 5

I agree totally with Gaz. Photo management for large collections require dedicated photo programs. My photos are split between Picassa and Flickr and accessed by my desktop computer. Flickr recently came out with a nice iOS app.

Hi JJ2,

If you really want access of your photos via Evernote for whatever reason then as gazumped has explained you can set it up so you don't download to your phone, only viewing the photo via the off line storage as long as you have a network connection.

Depending on how many photos you have, you can of course load them to Dropbox. But this also depends on the size of the images. I keep both a RAW file which for me will be large as it is captured in the main by a Nikon D3X or D3S and the finished image once I have worked on it. With about 110,000 images I have about 3TB of storage space taken up! I obviously keep back up's which are portable hard drives.

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5*

OK, here's the deal.. I have many gigs of photos I'd like to eventually upload to my Evernote account. I know the premium version only allows 1 GB of uploads a month but I'm fine with uploading them all gradually.

Now here's my main concern.. my mobile devices all have limited storage space (less than 10 GB.) If I were to fill my Evernote account with many GB of photos, will they appear on my smartphones and take up local storage space? Or can I access them via the network on demand from my Evernote account?

The ability to potentially have virtually unlimited storage space (over time) is an attractive feature of Evernote.. otherwise I'd use Dropbox or buy an external HD.

I tried something similar. I'm not as pessimistic about Evernote's potential here, but I ran into other problems. The database outgrew my Mac's storage. Here is my advice from another angle ( ), but it ends up being about the same as that already mentioned above -- you are probably better off doing this in a different service for the time being.

Archived