(Archived) Offline "Syncing" in Premium Question

AdmiralP

Hi -

I'm considering an upgrade to the Premium version, and I'd appreciate some clarification about the offline "syncing" facility that's available - i.e. the ability to access attached documents (inc PDFs) offline, when you don't have a wireless connection.

As I understand it, the offline "syncing" facility makes copies of your attachments available on your device so you can access them wherever you are, edit them, and re-sync to the cloud (and then to other devices) when you re-connect. Is that right?

If so, I'm happy about getting copies of attachments on to my Android tablet, but not on my memory-limited Android smartphone.

So my question is - if I enable the offline syncing option in Premium EN, will all devices automatically get all the attachments downloaded? or is this a per device feature? (getting the attachments downloaded to the tablet, but not to the phone...)

Or have I totally misunderstood things?

Hi -

I'm considering an upgrade to the Premium version, and I'd appreciate some clarification about the offline "syncing" facility that's available - i.e. the ability to access attached documents (inc PDFs) offline, when you don't have a wireless connection.

As I understand it, the offline "syncing" facility makes copies of your attachments available on your device so you can access them wherever you are, edit them, and re-sync to the cloud (and then to other devices) when you re-connect. Is that right?

If so, I'm happy about getting copies of attachments on to my Android tablet, but not on my memory-limited Android smartphone.

So my question is - if I enable the offline syncing option in Premium EN, will all devices automatically get all the attachments downloaded? or is this a per device feature? (getting the attachments downloaded to the tablet, but not to the phone...)

Or have I totally misunderstood things?

To clarify, it's not offline syncing. It just downloads all parts of all notes in the notebooks you designate to have offline access to.

Non-premium accounts or notes in non-offline notebooks for premium accounts only download the header information. This is to prevent having to use all of your mobile device's storage space, if you have a large Evernote database. But when you actually try to call up a note (in this case), when you don't have internet access, you will not be able to do so, unless it's still in the device's cache.

This is a per account feature. If you have multiple mobile devices, each device can have different notebooks designated for offline status (for the same premium account) as Jeff said.

Thanks for the swift feedback.

Yes - I appreciate that it's not really "syncing", but that's how the Android version seems to refer to it (ansd why Itsed quote marks around it) ;-)

Aha! so the offline feature is per notebook, not at the account level.

Great stuff!

@AdmiralP

The "edit them, and re-sync to the cloud" part could be a problem. When 3rd party documents are opened into the local app, they may be edited. Something about the Android - Evernote connection, keeps the apps from saving back to the original note.

You can save the changed document to another location(Dropbox perhaps?), then share it to Evernote as a new note. It's not real slick, but it works.

I asked about this in the forums quite a while back. I was told it was an Android issue. I just tried it again, same results. I stick them in Dropbox, replace the original in the note at my desktop.

Regards,,

Gary

@GaryLKing -

Thanks for that info.

So the Premium offline file feature (on Android at least) is not quite perfect. I was hoping to be able to open a note offline containing a PDF attachment and then annotate the PDF (using Adobe Acrobat Reader X's annotation tools), save the annotated PDF back to the ENote, and when I go back on-line the ENote with the annotated PDF would sync to the EN cloud and the ro my other devices...

So perhaps I should just risk using the free version and risk the cached versions of attachments? I seem ton be able to open relevant attachments while I'm still connected and then when I go off-line, pick up the cached PDFs. If I annotate them and then save as new ENotes, then I should end up with 2 ENotes - the before and after annotation versions....

Do I need to save them to DropBox? Having updated the document, just use the Share option to create a new ENote ?

Again, thanks for the advice, Gary!

Allan

• 7 months later...

I'm also having an offline syncing problem.  I've had Premium Evernote since 2010 but recently I've become very unhappy with it.  I can no longer read notes offline on my Android phone.  It's an HTC One so I don't think it's the phone's fault.  Sync is on, Evernote says it's synced, offline search is on but if I'm not in an area with wifi, it says it can't bring up the note.  Talked to support and they suggested uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling but that made no difference.  Did it again but this time went through and deleted every file and folder that referenced Evernote before reinstalling but still didn't make any difference.  I don't see any place in Evernote where I can enable offline access for individual notebooks.  Would love to find another app that did the things Evernote does but also allows offline access.  

recently I've become very unhappy with it.  I can no longer read notes offline on my Android phone.

Same here. I've recently discovered that regardless of what I do 'offline' notebooks aren't accessible offline. Hey, Evernote, WTF?!

Actually I accidentally discovered the fix.  There's an inconspicuous icon at the bottom of your Android notebook listing - an arrow pointing down at what is evidently supposed to be a tray that's evidently supposed to stand for your phone.  Click on that and the list of notebooks changes to allow you to toggle off line for the ones you want to download.  Once you've done that they will download. 

Archived