(Archived) New Kid

Though I'm 65, I am new to Evernote and I want to get the most effective use as I can, but I have questions.

Please note I have the following hardware: a PC laptop, iPhone 4S, and an iPad. I plan to use my Pad as my primary tool. I began using Evernote on my PC, and that was (kind of) ok. The concept was easy to understand, and before long I was using Evernote all the time. Now that I have and plan to use my iPad as my primary device, I have issues and questions.

1. Please recommend a tutorial and where I might download it.

2. What criteria did you use to decide whether to subscribe by the month or year?

3. I haven't found one (which may be the answer), but are there user Evernote user groups and is there one in the Asheville (Western North Carolina) vicinity?

Thanks

• Level 5*

Though I'm 65, I am new to Evernote and I want to get the most effective use as I can, but I have questions.

Hi. It's always good to see a new kid on the block :)

Please note I have the following hardware: a PC laptop, iPhone 4S, and an iPad. I plan to use my Pad as my primary tool. I began using Evernote on my PC, and that was (kind of) ok. The concept was easy to understand, and before long I was using Evernote all the time. Now that I have and plan to use my iPad as my primary device, I have issues and questions.

Great gear. You should be all set.

1. Please recommend a tutorial and where I might download it.

http://evernote.com/...note/guide/ios/

2. What criteria did you use to decide whether to subscribe by the month or year?

I subscribed for the year to save money, and because I knew I would be using up a lot of gigabytes. Over time, I changed my usage, and I suppose I could easily get by with the Free account. It all depends on your use case. Here are some of my tips to optimize the experience (http://discussion.ev...ce/#entry173506 ).

3. I haven't found one (which may be the answer), but are there user Evernote user groups and is there one in the Asheville (Western North Carolina) vicinity?

None that I know of (using Meetup to search), but if you stick a flag in the ground, people will come out of the woodwork.

Something else to think about is that the iPad app is very limited. In part, this is design (we are pushing them to add more features all the time!) and in part it is the device / operating system. The same thing is true about the iPhone. The good news (if you are really serious about making the iPad your primary device) is that you can use a remote login service to access Evernote via your computer. This makes a HUGE difference. For example, if you want to create note links, you cannot do it on the iPad, but via Logmein or some other app for remote desktops, you can easily manage it. The only caveat is that your computer has to be turned on, so that is kind of a bummer if you are worried about wasted resources.

• Level 5*
I have issues and questions.

I'm a 'mature' user too; and a firm believer in experiment and practical experience. Not that you shouldn't read up on Evernote and stay in touch with its development - keep an eye on these forums for current information and occasional help forinstance. But you'll have your own requirements and your own ways of doing things. Don't rely on any 'master plan' thought up by someone else. Evernote should fit in to your way of working just fine - and if you stick to processes you've used for a while, you'll be able to carry them out consistently and accurately.

The way to understand Evernote is to start using it. The best premise at first is "if in doubt - scan". You can tag and name files as you wish. Try not to get carried away with multiple notebooks - even the heaviest Evernote users here only have a handful of notebooks. Do expect to spend time 'curating' your notes - renaming, retagging and generally tidying round the edges - especially after each search.

Have fun - and feel free to come back with more questions as and when they (inevitably) arise...

Archived