(Archived) How much does it cost per meg or gig if you go over Preminum of 1 gig

$5 per gig. I think you can only do this four times per month for a maximum of five gigs. Also, it's not recurring & does not extend your refresh date. IOW, if you're down to 2 days left in your cycle & you add another gig, you have only two days to use up as much of that extra gig as you can. You do not have 30 days to use that additional gig.

• Level 5*

I cant find out how much it would cost per meg or gig per month if I go over the Premimum of 1 gig per month?

Just to clarify, it doesn't cost anything to go over that amount. You just can't go over it, and won't be able to upload anything. This is not the same as your phone company, which will charge you an arm, a leg, and maybe a pound of flesh closest to your heart in order to pay for an accidental email download.

If you want extra space, you have to purchase an extra gig, as BNF said.

OK how to I purchase that extra gig? Will it tell me that I am at my limit and then offer to sell me another gig. Also I am trying to paperless in my home and home office, will 1 gig a month be enough or am I going to have to go with the Business plan?

• Level 5*

OK how to I purchase that extra gig? Will it tell me that I am at my limit and then offer to sell me another gig. Also I am trying to paperless in my home and home office, will 1 gig a month be enough or am I going to have to go with the Business plan?

Good questions!

(1) Warnings

You will get a warning, but it is probably easier (and perhaps wiser) to check in advance to find out. You have to be Premium to be eligible to purchase the extra gig (as far as I know) and I don't know if the extra gig is available to Business folks. It would seem to be saying so (http://evernote.com/business/features/), but it is confusing. On the Evernote website, I thought I used to be able to purchase the extra gig when I was Premium, but as a Business user, I am not finding that option now (if it ever existed). On the Mac, my account says "Premium," even though I am actually a Premium Business user (as far as I know), and I have the option to purchase an extra gig under account info. The opacity here and inconsistency probably is a result of having just implemented the Business accounts. I think they will work out the kinks in a few days. If you do upgrade to business, just contact the business customer service person and they'll take care of you.

(2) Enough?

It depends. I have gone paperless, and I probably use less than 100 MB most months. But, I have a somewhat unconventional approach (http://discussion.ev...ce/#entry173506 ) that may not be for you. If you do put your PDFs into your account, I'd say 1GB would be plenty (based on my past usage), but that depends on how you do other things in your account. For example, some people like to keep Word files and other documents in their accounts and constantly edit them there, and this will significantly impact their monthly upload allowance. In other words, your mileage may vary.

My advice? Go Premium. As I understand it, if you do need to upgrade to Business later, the amount of Premium usage you have purchased will be available to you if you ever want to go back to Premium (http://evernote.com/...sources/faqs/#1).

• Level 5*

Thanks so much for the info. I am getting a SnapScan 1500 tomorrow and will be doing a lot of scanning that is why I asked.

Oh. The ScanSnap :)

I have been putting my own to good use, and yesterday finished all of my 2012 papers. I am paperless going into 2013!

• Level 5*

When you start the paperless route, particularly when you're converting lots of paper history, the 1GB limit may be an issue. I had a *LOT* of reference paper built up over 30+ years, and whilst some editorial weeding went on at input, in many cases it's easier to "scan first, ask questions later" - particularly with a ScanSnap! Having said that, I got close to my limit less than a handful of times, and over it it only once. In most cases it was a question of waiting a day or two for my limit to reset, or scanning to a local folder so I could move notes across later.

Only warning - do not get too close to the limit. There's a warning at some point, but no repeats or reminders - once you hit the limit your account is stuck and you could lose a note or two in the cracks. Keep an eye on your usage!

And I agree with GM - ScanSnaps are the Bee's Knees when it comes to copying. If only I were as disciplined at keeping up to date. There's a bit of 2012 still to process here..

• Level 5*
When you start the paperless route, particularly when you're converting lots of paper history, the 1GB limit may be an issue.

All too true. It took me over a year to get all of my stuff into Evernote. And, I hit the limit pretty much every month. Sometimes, I would pay for an extra gig to finish the chunk of files. As you can see by the link I posted earlier, I have found a more palatable solution for my particular situation.

Only warning - do not get too close to the limit. There's a warning at some point, but no repeats or reminders - once you hit the limit your account is stuck and you could lose a note or two in the cracks. Keep an eye on your usage!

Also true. Upload in chunks. A few MB at a time, sync, and move on each day to get the bulk of it (90% or so) into the account well before the reset. Usually, a couple of days out from my reset, I would start pushing it up to the limit, but I always left about 25 MB or so just in case I had a note or PDF I "had" to get in there at the last minute. You don't want to dump 1 gigabyte of files into your account on the last day, miss the reset window, and start the new month with 0 monthly upload allowance.

And I agree with GM - ScanSnaps are the Bee's Knees when it comes to copying. If only I were as disciplined at keeping up to date. There's a bit of 2012 still to process here..

Scansnap changed everything for me :)

• Level 5*

Are you scanning to Evernote? To a folder? Are the files being imported? - Check the online version (web) to make sure you can see your scanned documents and verify the usage figure. Online is the 'master' usage meter. It should update as soon as your local copy of Evernote syncs. A desktop client keeps its own score, so should be a real-time confirmation of the current usage.

• Level 5

I have looked at my usage meter and it says 28 mess, it does not go up and I have been scanning for several days and I have used much more than that. Is the usage meter not working, how often does it refresh?

Are you sending the scanned documents to a Sync'd Notebook or a local Notebook?

Local Notebooks do not affect the monthly usage cap.

[edit] entered at same moment as Gaz.

Archived