(Archived) Data Storage

mwrob

I am considering using EN for a corporate knowledgebase (although I am hesitant to consider Evernote for Business after seeing the problems people are having). Is a company wide notebook synced to everybody's individual machine? For example, when a project is complete, we would like to archive the associated files; spreadsheets, autocad drawings, etc. One way to do this is to embed them in an EN note. However, we really don't need them stored on each machine in the company. Could somebody please explain how this works and if there are any options?

Hi Mike,

You would share the information/project amongst those who needed it, then archive it in a location that would not be shared.

You can choose to share notebooks with whomever you want.

Regards

Chris

Hi Mike,

There are a couple of ideas I would have for you in Evernote Business. You could create a Business Notebook that you put all the associated notes with and then publish that notebook to the Evernote Business library but only grant "View" rights to the content. Then if someone did want to see the notes of files of that project, they could join that notebook, which would then download the information to their system.

If you wanted to keep the notebook out of the business library, Chris is correct in that you could create a business notebook that you could put all the information into and then just add people you would like to have visibility to that notebook.

The benefit of having this as a business notebook in both cases is that if you have the user who shares the notebook on just a Premium account, if they leave the business they could then remove the sharing options off of the notebook and cause the business to lose the information. With Evernote Business, if the user left the business, the administrators would still have access to the information and could grant others access in the Admin Console.

Jon H

I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear in my question. I understand the concepts and principles of sharing notebooks.

My question is in regards to the syncing of that business notebook. If a user joins a business notebook, am I correct in assuming that all the notes in the business notebook are synchronized to their local machine, ie. in their exb file? So, if we have a large business notebook(s), the data in that notebook is going to be taking up space on the hard drive of every computer owned by every employee who has joined that notebook?

Hi Mike,

It is only going to be on their computer if you want it locally. If you only make it available via the internet then of course you won't take up any of their hard drive space.

Best regards

Chris

Hi Mike,

Chris is correct in that if you do not want to take up their hard drive space, then you would want to have them use the web client version of Evernote instead of a desktop client.

If you do have the desktop client, it will sync and download all of the notes for any notebooks you join within the business library to the local machine.

Jon H

Archived