(Archived) Any hope for a return to greatness?

I have been an avid user of Evernote for several years and have a premium account but Evernote has become a incredible mess. I'm at my wits end. It used to be be the best product in it's class but now it's so unusable I'm thinking of returning to other options.

The iPhone app is just awful. Ugly and practically unusable. I used to do most of my list processing on the iphone during spare time, standing in line, on the subway, etc. Now it's so buggy I don't trust my iPhone to keep my work.

I can't find my notes using the new iPhone interface. It crashes, often. Sync doesn't happen reliably they way it used to. It stopped syncing some notes entirely. I uninstalled it, as recommended by Evernote support, and now the latest version won't install. Why did I get premium again?

The new Mac OS interface is frustratingly different. I've given it time but it is just orthogonal to how I work. Everything I needed to do used to be 1 or 2 clicks, now most things are 4 or 5. I can't establish muscle memory, I'm constantly scanning the interface looking for what to click next.

It's almost as if the development team don't use Evernote themselves or, at least, do not manage multiple projects with dozens of notes per project.

So, Evernote, should I spend all of New Years Day bootstrapping to a new service or are you guys going to admit this is all hogwash and fix it?

• Level 5*

Hi. I've no horse in this race, being Windows- and Android- based, but even I have seen all the comments elsewhere on the forums. The general conclusion seems to be that the new version is in process of being fixed, but if there are missing functions that you need it's useful to list them specifically. If you have issues like sync problems or lost data I'd suggest raising a support request initially - if you post the ticket number here you may get a bit of extra oversight. If you keep an eye on the other threads you can see how this develops.

• Level 5*

I have been an avid user of Evernote for several years and have a premium account but Evernote has become a incredible mess. I'm at my wits end. It used to be be the best product in it's class but now it's so unusable I'm thinking of returning to other options.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. Glad to see another longtime user.

The iPhone app is just awful. Ugly and practically unusable. I used to do most of my list processing on the iphone during spare time, standing in line, on the subway, etc. Now it's so buggy I don't trust my iPhone to keep my work.

I like how it looks, but I guess it is in the eye of the beholder and all of that. What bugs?

I can't find my notes using the new iPhone interface. It crashes, often. Sync doesn't happen reliably they way it used to. It stopped syncing some notes entirely. I uninstalled it, as recommended by Evernote support, and now the latest version won't install. Why did I get premium again?

Have you filed a support ticket?

The new Mac OS interface is frustratingly different. I've given it time but it is just orthogonal to how I work. Everything I needed to do used to be 1 or 2 clicks, now most things are 4 or 5. I can't establish muscle memory, I'm constantly scanning the interface looking for what to click next.

It is different. There are things I'd like to see changed in it as well. Specifically, what is it you are finding difficult?

I like how it looks, but I guess it is in the eye of the beholder and all of that. What bugs?

I guess, I'll give you the looks, as you say it's subjective, but I REALLY hate the notebook view. Why brown?

Having the menu hidden is what is making it unusable, I'm constantly swiping the elephant down to switch views to use tags or search or ...

As for bugs ...

Have you filed a support ticket?

Yes. I just get told to restart the app or reinstall. It's getting old.

It is different. There are things I'd like to see changed in it as well. Specifically, what is it you are finding difficult?

I guess that is fundamentally the problem. I don't know WHY I'm finding it difficult. I've been writing computer software for 25 years and sometimes you just struggle against a user interface that looks at the problem in completely different way than you do. Part of the frustration is that Evernote USED to be intuitive and almost directly match my way of organizing my thoughts, and now I struggle with it every time I use it. Part of it might be the difference between the 3 versions (web, app and ios) is making it difficult to internalize how any one of them work since I keep switching. I prefer the organization of the web site version and find that much easier to use, so I'm using that more and more even though it is slower.

Archived