(Archived) My Right Arm Has Been Cut Off!

Bearing in mind I have been using first OneNote since 2007 and Evernote for the last year, I am now at a loss!

I am waiting for the repair to my Business account and as such it is safer that I keep away whilst the team do their work.

It feels like my right arm has been cut off!

Is this just me or do you feel 'lost' when you cannot get to your important data?

I use Evernote every day and almost permanently when I am at my desk.

Regards

Chris

• Level 5*

Bearing in mind I have been using first OneNote since 2007 and Evernote for the last year, I am now at a loss!

I am waiting for the repair to my Business account and as such it is safer that I keep away whilst the team do their work.

It feels like my right arm has been cut off!

Is this just me or do you feel 'lost' when you cannot get to your important data?

I use Evernote every day and almost permanently when I am at my desk.

Regards

Chris

Well, besides my suggestion from before to make a free account and work from there until your regular one is made available (made without knowledge of what this would mean for a business account), I regularly export all of my notes as HTML and import them into another notetaking program. I work primarily in plain text without attachments, so this is actually a fairly simple procedure. I do this because I absolutely have to have access to my notes, and the iOS app sometimes decides not to start, or it is buggy (lag on typing makes it impossible at the moment to use it for anything besides viewing notes). Before people pile onto the recent update, this (freezing and occasional lag bugs) is actually a problem I have had since at least August 2011. Anyhow, having a separate copy of my notes means that I can access them anytime, just in case.

An example of this would be when I was standing in line two days ago at the airport trying to log into the kiosk in order to print out my boarding pass and Evernote was frozen (downloading headers) and I could not access my confirmation code. Fortunately, I had a copy of my notes saved in Notesy for just this eventuality.

Of course, if you use rich text with lots of attachments, the "solution" I have suggested (it basically amounts to using two or more notetaking programs at once) is not too great. I'm not even keen on it myself, but it beats having your right arm cut off. I suppose it is like having your right arm cut off after all (I still cannot use my account either), but I have three or four other arms hanging off my body.

Ha ha very good Grumpy,

I like things to work for me and not end up having to spend a lot of time on them. I think if Evernote wasn't such a great programme and the Business version such a good concept I would have given up by now!

But one of the things that would drive me nuts, is indeed having the data in two different locations or in two different software programs. It is why if Evernote gets the GTD right it will make me much happier than trying to buy in and learn another piece of software. In some ways this is why Microsoft have done so well over the years. You buy a software suite and it all works together.

As I say I am not at work, but was going to sort out some quotations today, but the information is in my Business Notebook 2012 Diary. I can see it, but cannot write to the daily notes. I could as you say extract that and did think I might transfer to my personal account. Unfortunately the Business side is so locked up I cannot get a note out without copy and pasting the complete note. This would cause me a lot of grief when everything was up and running!

I may have found a solution if I had been at work, but thank goodness I am not technically in until next Thursday. I just hope the Evernote technical boffins get it going long before then though!

As an example of not spending too much time when something goes wrong, I have a policy with computers. I give them a few hours, if I cannot get them going, it is cheaper to scrap the computer and buy another one. My time is more valuable than a few hundred pounds for a new Windows laptop! However, I have a MacBook Pro in which I have installed an additional and large hard drive with the sole purpose of running parallels and Windows so I can use a couple of Windows only business software packages. But I am just trying to pluck up the courage to install Windows on a perfect bit of machinery such as the MacBook Pro!!

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5*

Ha ha very good Grumpy,

I like things to work for me and not end up having to spend a lot of time on them. I think if Evernote wasn't such a great programme and the Business version such a good concept I would have given up by now!

But one of the things that would drive me nuts, is indeed having the data in two different locations or in two different software programs. It is why if Evernote gets the GTD right it will make me much happier than trying to buy in and learn another piece of software. In some ways this is why Microsoft have done so well over the years. You buy a software suite and it all works together.

As I say I am not at work, but was going to sort out some quotations today, but the information is in my Business Notebook 2012 Diary. I can see it, but cannot write to the daily notes. I could as you say extract that and did think I might transfer to my personal account. Unfortunately the Business side is so locked up I cannot get a note out without copy and pasting the complete note. This would cause me a lot of grief when everything was up and running!

I may have found a solution if I had been at work, but thank goodness I am not technically in until next Thursday. I just hope the Evernote technical boffins get it going long before then though!

As an example of not spending too much time when something goes wrong, I have a policy with computers. I give them a few hours, if I cannot get them going, it is cheaper to scrap the computer and buy another one. My time is more valuable than a few hundred pounds for a new Windows laptop! However, I have a MacBook Pro in which I have installed an additional and large hard drive with the sole purpose of running parallels and Windows so I can use a couple of Windows only business software packages. But I am just trying to pluck up the courage to install Windows on a perfect bit of machinery such as the MacBook Pro!!

Best regards

Chris

:)

I run Evernote Windows through Parallels on my "perfect" MBA. It is nice. As for the wasted time and headaches I have had trying to manage my notes in multiple locations, it is best not to dwell on that. I just hope we can get things sorted out here.

Hi Mike,

My MBP has a solid state hard drive already! The additional drive replaced the DVD drive which is now mounted in an external caddy.

Keep threatening to change all of the office computers with Mac running Parallels as they break, with mine being the first!

I have an iMac 25" at home as well as a 27". The 25" has been running everyday in my Daughter's room for several years with no problems. In that time I have replaced my own laptop many times and just had to take her own Windows laptop back to factory settings!

In my opinion and in the long run Mac is so much cheaper, if you can get over the original cost. But that is a whole new argument eh!

Regards

Chris

I had some problems lately that caused my EN to be basically down for several days. YES, I felt like I couldn't do much of anything b/c EN is such an integral part of my computer life. At that time my most immediate problem was that I was trying to re-download my database from the EN servers (in order to hopefully resolve the original problem) & it kept crapping out (technical term :P ) after only downloading 35,000-45,000 of my 56,000+ notes. AND with that many notes, using the web browser normally brings up script errors. Fortunately for me, I could at least continue to ADD notes & sync them up. Then, if I needed to look anything up, I'd use Clever on my iPad.

In your situation, if they don't want you adding notes, then I think GM's suggestion wrt creating a new account is a good one.

Good luck.

Oh, and during this time frame, I was also having some issues on my old computer. So I had to do some serious jury rigging. I'd take screen caps of the messages, save them to Dropbox. Then use the main computer to add the screen caps to EN & sync them up. The heads of users who think the lack of highlighting (or some other equally minor issue) renders EN totally useless, would have exploded. :P

• Level 5*
The heads of users who think the lack of highlighting (or some other equally minor issue) renders EN totally useless, would have exploded. :P

We all fall into hyperbole when describing our "essential" features, but after struggling through dozens and dozens of notetaking apps, I guess my list of "essential" features has gotten a lot shorter over time. I just want it to work :)

We all fall into hyperbole when describing our "essential" features, but after struggling through dozens and dozens of notetaking apps, I guess my list of "essential" features has gotten a lot shorter over time. I just want it to work :)

That's the camp I'm in, too. If the font isn't exactly the right size or I can't change the background color or whatever. I DON'T CARE! I just want to save the information that I find useful & be able to find it again, quickly. That's exactly the reason I started using Evernote in the first place.

In my opinion and in the long run Mac is so much cheaper, if you can get over the original cost. But that is a whole new argument eh!

Regards

Chris

LOL, have you considered running virtual PC's within Windows 7. I use VirtualBox mainly https://www.virtualbox.org/

Obviously makes it much easier to move between different bits of Windows hardware (as needed). Backup is a very simple too, just copy the virtual disk files.

Using this method you can get a new PC out of its box install VirtualBox copy your existing virtual drives over and be up and running with all your apps, settings and Evernote database in under an hour? :)

Chris, Don't play with this on a critical PC or using an important EN account (just in case).

Although its fine/reliable it does take some technical knowledge and you're not having much luck at present!

I note there's a MAC version too? LOL

Hello Chris,

Although I don't run Parallels myself, I believe a large number of Evernote employees run VMWare Fusion (a Parallels competitor) on their systems to test out Windows apps instead of having Windows PCs so virtualization software apps are pretty robust. If not they all would have to have Windows PCs instead of only the hard-core tech folk such as Heather et al having them.

-- roschler

Archived