(Archived) Can You Remove An Import Folder Link, But Keep Content?

Hi All,

Having almost completed my 'Import Folder' links of all my old quotations and Word documents it has occurred to me that Evernote will forever keep trying to sync to a folder that won't be changing.

Can I delete the 'Import Folder' line and still keep the docs? Or will removing the line remove the docs? I doubt it will remove them, but having spent hours getting this up and running I wanted to check first!

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5*

If all your docs are now attached to notes, I don't see how deleting the link will affect the files. You could double check though by setting up another import folder, importing a test file, then deleting the link to that folder. If the test file survives the next sync, you should be OK.

Yes, I agree with you.

But the effort I have been to in the last couple of weeks since upgrading to business, I don't want it to go wrong.

Had to delete a couple of thousand notes last night and re install them!

Might try with the temporary one once I have all my word docs in place. Thanks for the suggestion.

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5*

I'm not a Business user and I appreciate you've been transferring a lot of information, hence my caution! If it's any reassurance, I've changed import folder details in my vanilla premium account a couple of times without any adverse effects (that I'm aware of..).

• Level 5*

Sure, gazumped is correct. The import folder facility is pretty much stateless; the code that watches the folder just triggers imports on new files, but doesn't monitor the notes that are generated from imports. Remove the import folder, and that code just doesn't watch that folder any more. This is a safe operation.

Having now imported 7,500 new notes in multiple folders I felt safe to delete the link to the 1998 folder.

As expected there was no problem.

So have now deleted links to all the old quotation/word folders and again all is safe.

Regards

Chris

Archived