(Archived) If Synching Fails!

Hi All,

Just a quick reminder for those reading something from me for the first time.

I have been a 'premium' user for about a year and have just upgraded to the 'business' version.

Synching will occasionally go wrong and as far as I can see this is often due to a clash maybe caused by trying to do many tasks at the same time. Well it was almost certainly my problem. I was adding 'Import Folder's' for thousands of Word documents. I have quite a number of folders and was rather foolishy linking a number of them at the same time as a synch was going on.

Working on my Windows laptop I realised this morning that one of the folders had a number of word docs missing, showing something like 372 instead of 376. When I checked on my android phone and on the web version I discovered that there was only 76 documents in this folder!

On top of this, on the software there was an icon next to the 'Sync' button indicating there was a problem.

Having read quite a few notes during the last couple of weeks due to problems with my upgrade I realised that this folder with mismatched note numbers, was the key to my problems. So I deleted it, made sure I deleted the 'Import Folder' link and started again.

All now working fine.

So I think, but cannot guarantee, that the key is to find what is not correct in a notebook and if possible delete it and start again.

Hope that saves someone all the messing around I had to do!

Best regards

Chris

It would appear that it is safer to sync after setting up an 'Import Folder' before setting up another one!

Just had sync lock up and the only way around it was to re boot Evernote.

Regards

Chris

Phew!

Just been through a marathon. Which may just be 'business' related.

So I was still getting error messages when trying to sync. I removed three new linked import folders with about 2,000 notes in! Still not synching properly!

This morning I moved some notes back to my personal account from the business account and started to suspect this maybe the problem. So I created a new folder in my personal account. Moved 'all' the notes from the two folders then deleted the two folders.

Synching took nearly an hour and I mentioned elsewhere that when you see:

'Updating server database, 100% done'

It is not done! You need to leave this a long time if you have, like me, made some serious changes. My last sync took about an hour with this message still showing it was 100% done.

But once it completed all seems to be fine.

Back now to adding in the linked folders and hopefully getting my notes in again!

Regards

Chris

• Level 5*

Hi. Great advice. Also, as a reminder to folks who might be new to this, logging into your account on the web at www.evernote.com will show you what Evernote has synced to their servers. When in doubt, it's always good to check there. And, as always, I recommend everyone make backups of their local drive regularly (not just for Evernote).

• Level 5

Synching took nearly an hour and I mentioned elsewhere that when you see:

'Updating server database, 100% done'

It is not done! You need to leave this a long time if you have, like me, made some serious changes. My last sync took about an hour with this message still showing it was 100% done.

Evernote should come up with a more accurate description that describes reality, not something they expect will happen in the future.

After changing the spelling of some tags, I have seen this "100% done" message hang on my screen for many minutes as well. And I am not using the Business model.

I recently had this UGLY problem with syncing. I added several notes along with attachments, BEFORE the end of the monthly cycle. My free account quota climbed up to 99%, but for one I didn't go past the 100% threshold, for the second I did it before the end of the monthly cycle.

The EN clients, in two PCs, didn't acknowledge such end of the monthly cycle for more than a day and a half. The qouta window showed 99% used and ZERO days left in the monthly cycle. Kind of 20 minutes ago, I synced, and now the whole 99% used is still there, only that it now states that I got less than 1% for the rest of the month! I sync on a regular basis (more than 10 times a day), now don't tell me it's me to blame for the issue. Very bad thing, Evernote!

Any ideas, suggestions?

Hi HAL100,

I think you may be talking about a different problem.

Correct me if I am wrong, but you are saying that you had used 99% of your total upload allowance on the last day of the cycle. Then the following day (today?) when you should have been back to 0% used it still showed 99%?

I think you need to be aware that the time of day when the allowance gets updated may not be the same time of day in whatever country you are in. So if you hang on in there, it should go back to 0% sometime during the day.

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5*

I recently had this UGLY problem with syncing. I added several notes along with attachments, BEFORE the end of the monthly cycle. My free account quota climbed up to 99%, but for one I didn't go past the 100% threshold, for the second I did it before the end of the monthly cycle.

The EN clients, in two PCs, didn't acknowledge such end of the monthly cycle for more than a day and a half. The qouta window showed 99% used and ZERO days left in the monthly cycle. Kind of 20 minutes ago, I synced, and now the whole 99% used is still there, only that it now states that I got less than 1% for the rest of the month! I sync on a regular basis (more than 10 times a day), now don't tell me it's me to blame for the issue. Very bad thing, Evernote!

Any ideas, suggestions?

Hi. It could be all sorts of things. My guess would be that you were off on the timing. Here are some helpful threads about calculating things.

http://discussion.ev...ce-cycle-reset/

http://discussion.ev...ing/#entry37564

http://discussion.ev...gin/#entry28865

http://discussion.ev...gin/#entry29646

My advice would be to have everything you want uploaded completely synced at least a day before the end of your cycle. Back in the days when I was uploading a lot into my account, I used to spread out my uploads over the last couple of weeks so that I would make sure that even if I lost access to the Internet or something like that on the last few days of my cycle, I'd still have 80 or 90 percent of my upload limit used.

The solution now? You could upgrade to premium, buy an extra month of space, or contact customer support and they'll get you sorted out.

Archived