(Archived) Using Evernote as a Research Tool using Webpage imports

I have recently scraped a large number of web pages which focus on incidents in sport (SCUBA) diving. I would like to do some analysis on this and think that Evernote might be able to provide the toolset. The problem is that each thread has 20 posts per page, and some of the threads went over a number of pages e.g. in some cases 10 pages were used to discuss this incident.

Is there an easy way of importing these (.html) files into Evernote?

Regards

Gareth

I'd currently recommend against doing anything with Evernote. It is becoming worse and worse with each release, removing features and introducing bugs.

Sorry to be so negative, but I've got a large set of notes in Evernote, and I plan to move everything to an alternate solution as soon as possible.

• Level 5*

@mogf1: Evernote works fine for a lot of people. I'd suggest that you focus on the actual question that the poster asked, and stop making blanket statements about Evernote that don't relate to the topic.

@Gareth: I don't know which Evernote client you are using, but with the Windows client, the Import facility (Tools / Import) only works with Evernote ENML format files (.enex) and Microsoft OneNote files. However, you can set up an auto-import folder, and drag your .html files into that. They should import in as one note per file. Also you can do drag'n'drop from Explorer into Evernote, but you would need to do it one note as a time, as with more than one note, they become attachments.

@Gareth: I don't know which Evernote client you are using, but with the Windows client, the Import facility (Tools / Import) only works with Evernote ENML format files (.enex) and Microsoft OneNote files. However, you can set up an auto-import folder, and drag your .html files into that. They should import in as one note per file. Also you can do drag'n'drop from Explorer into Evernote, but you would need to do it one note as a time, as with more than one note, they become attachments.

@jefito,

Thanks for the tip! I'm still hoping that some day the Clearly Chrome extension advances to the point that it's ability to scan all the numbered pages that are part of a multi-page web page works in all cases, not just some, and that it also can expand comment links. For now though, at least there is some way to capture pages like that using Save AS on each page and then using an auto-import folder. I didn't think about that before. As a developer, Stack Overflow is invaluable and the comments frequently have the most important information of all, but Clearly and the Web Clipper can't seem to get to those yet. Also, a lot of Stack Overflow (and other forums/articles) span multiple pages.

@mogf1: Evernote works fine for a lot of people. I'd suggest that you focus on the actual question that the poster asked, and stop making blanket statements about Evernote that don't relate to the topic.

@jefito: I'm sorry if I offended you, but I think my answer really did relate to the topic. The OP asks if Evernote is a proper tool for his task, and I answer that he should probably stay away from Evernote at this time since it is becoming very difficult to work with.

To focus on the other part of the question -- if there is an easy way to import a large number of html files into Evernote: If you have the Mac OSX client, the answer to that question is No. The OSX client does not support auto-import folders. There is a discussion in for example: but I wouldn't call that solution "easy".

• Level 5*
@jefito: I'm sorry if I offended you, but I think my answer really did relate to the topic. The OP asks if Evernote is a proper tool for his task, and I answer that he should probably stay away from Evernote at this time since it is becoming very difficult to work with.

Without even knowing which client the OP is using, or referring to the problem he is trying to solve, you made a blanket statement about your experience with Evernote. Sorry, but that was off topic in my view. You're welcome to your opinion, and feel free to express it when it's somewhat related to the topic at hand (or start your own topic), but it didn't seem warranted in this case,

Thanks for the replies so far.

I am using a MacOSx client so it appears that the method proposed won't work, which is a shame.

Does anyone know if there is something in IFTTT that might allow .html pages to be converted to something which can then be imported into Evernote.

Regards and thanks in advance.

Gareth

@Gareth,

I know this is a "far out there" solution so I'm only mentioning it if you absolutely have to have this feature. You could run the Windows client in something like VMWare Fusion or Parallels and do it that way. If you do take the "long road" and do that, remember to do a database sync after installing the Evernote Windows client.

Hopefully someone does know how to make jefito's solution work in the Mac client since that would be much better for you.

-- roschler

• Level 5*

Gareth, I had forgotten that there is a possible AppleScript solution; see the post here: http://discussion.ev...r-for-mac-os-x/ (found by searching on google for "evernote mac applescript import"), so there may be other relevant posts. I can't vouch for anything about it, including whether it works with HTML files; I'm pretty sure that some folks have used it successfully in the past for importing in general. Whether it works on the recent Mac version, I have no idea.

Archived