Can text in an image be converted to editable text?

djperri

I am a new user and trying to understand what EN can do. I have scanned a page of handwritten notes into EN. When I search for words in those notes, EN can find the words (which is great). But can EN take the next step and convert all the text in the image to editable text that I can use in a Word processor? Or even just a PDF?

thanks!

• Level 5*

No, not really. The image OCR that Evernote does returns a list of possible word candidates found in the image, with associated location in the image (this lets you do text searches against the note). But because OCR is imprecise, you can get multiple word candidates for the same location. So you don't wind up with a sequence of words as they appear in the text (such as you would read the words yourself), you wind up with a list of word candidates. There's no way that you can pick up that list in the Evernote clients and drop it into a word processor. The list is embedded in the note contents, but you'd need a third-part app to fetch them out, or access to the note's ENML content.

• 1 month later...

Textgrabber by AABBYY is pretty awesome. I've used the iOS version and am about to try it on my Galaxy S3.

You can take new photos with it, or use it to "read" existing photos on your phone. The accuracy is not always perfect, but even correcting its guesses is faster than typing the whole document yourself. Once "read", your document can be shared to all the usual suspects (Twitter, Evernote, Gmail, etc...).

www.aabbyy.com/textgrabber/

You can find various comparisons of it with other similar products online.

Cheers!

(-^j^-)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Hello

I'm trying to use Image to Text on my iPhone and when I get to the "share" command, I don't see an option for sharing with Evernote, just for sharing by e-mail.  According to the FAQ on the app's web site, I need to log in with my Evernote e-mail and password, but I can't find any place to log in either.

Hmmm.

Can anyone help?  

Thanks in advance

Thanks.  Ximly looks good, but I just can't pay 99 cents per scan.  A bit much.

BTW, for those who are wondering how to use Image to Text with Evernote, I got a reply from Ricoh (who makes Image to Text) that said that they've had to change their connection with Evernote, so they temporarily deactivated this feature.  Let's hope it comes back soon!

• 1 month later...

Hello

I'm trying to use Image to Text on my iPhone and when I get to the "share" command, I don't see an option for sharing with Evernote, just for sharing by e-mail.  According to the FAQ on the app's web site, I need to log in with my Evernote e-mail and password, but I can't find any place to log in either.

Hmmm.

Can anyone help?  

Thanks in advance

Hello,

You can email the page using the Evernote email address.

• 2 years later...

I'm on Windows and use Adobe Acrobat Pro and Word so I do the following:

1. if file is not saved as a JPG then click the eyeball icon in the upper left corner of the image in Evernote to open it in Photo Viewer and click File > "Make a Copy" to save as a JPG
  2. browse to the image file in Explorer
  3. right-click on it and select Convert to Adobe PDF (file will open in Acrobat)
  4. click File > Save As and select Rich Text Format from the "Save as type" dropdown to save as a rich text file (takes a minute to process file)
  5. browse to the RTF file in Explorer and double-click to open in Word
  6. edit as necessary

Archived