(Archived) Evernote for Windows 4.6.1 Beta 2

dlu

Hello People of Windows!

We have a 4.6.1 Beta 2 that has a brand new Internet Explorer clipper. This is for users of IE 9 and above (Windows Vista & above). It has a much nicer interface and catches up to much of the functionality of the other clippers. It supports Business notebooks, article detection, and letting you choose the notebooks & tags for webclips via the clipper.

We also allow you to move notes from personal notebooks to Business notebooks. This will however, cause you to lose note history and any note URLs that you have shared. We are working on getting similar functionality for Copy Note on multiple notes.

Since there are times where we are showing your tags, along with tags from Business and Joined Notebooks, we added the username of the tag owner in parenthesis. Tags may show up as "Tag (username)" in your list. Please let us know if this is useful or too noisy. We've found it useful but are still trying to get feedback on that design.

We've fixed issues for business tags not being set/saved correctly and a bug where tags from Joined Notebooks appear in all stacks.

Please let us know if there are any issues you run into.

Thanks!

Installed, though the download was a little slower than normal...

Tags

- Like the change to show the owner of the tag.

- Shared tags still show up when you click on the Main Business Notebook stack.

Business Library

- I would like to be able to leave the library via F6 (or the Win + Shift + F equivalent) or by choosing All Notes in the favourites bar. Currently this is not possible. I have to click on a notebook to leave that space.

Will keep testing ;)

Thanks,

Scott

• Level 5

Since there are times where we are showing your tags, along with tags from Business and Joined Notebooks, we added the username of the tag owner in parenthesis. Tags may show up as "Tag (username)" in your list. Please let us know if this is useful or too noisy. We've found it useful but are still trying to get feedback on that design.

Will this affect search grammar? Will my tag searches require both the tag name and my username?

I think you are attacking the problem backwards.

Let the user select either All Tags or just their own User Tags. Don't clutter it up with my username after every tag.

According to BitQwik.com, I have 1,063 tags. Due to Evernote's new method of merging foreign tags into my personal tags, I have been deleting my Shared (Joined) Notebooks. A rather draconian unintended consequence, which I am sure you agree.

If you can't figure out how to write the computer code, then change the tags for the foreign Shared (Joined) Notebooks, but leave mine alone.

• Level 5

We have a 4.6.1 Beta 2 that has a brand new Internet Explorer clipper. This is for users of IE 9 and above (Windows Vista & above). It has a much nicer interface and catches up to much of the functionality of the other clippers. It supports Business notebooks, article detection, and letting you choose the notebooks & tags for webclips via the clipper.

It sounds like you are doing the same thing to Windows that you did to the Mac 5.0 release. The complaints about the eye candy "improvements" continue to swirl around this forum. I had hoped that Evernote would learn before duplicating the problem over to the Windows side.

We only add the parenthesis if the tags are from Joined Notebooks or Business notebooks. Meaning your tags won't be affected. If you're under "Notebooks" and searching for example for "tag:awesome" you'll bring up the tag awesome across your account, joined notebooks and Business notebooks. You can change your scope by selecting items such as "All My Notes" or Business Notebooks.

I don't see how we're doing eye candy improvements... Could you clarify? I wouldn't count the IE clipper at all since, in the past it really didn't have much of a UI at all.

• Level 5

We only add the parenthesis if the tags are from Joined Notebooks or Business notebooks. Meaning your tags won't be affected. If you're under "Notebooks" and searching for example for "tag:awesome" you'll bring up the tag awesome across your account, joined notebooks and Business notebooks. You can change your scope by selecting items such as "All My Notes" or Business Notebooks.

I don't see how we're doing eye candy improvements... Could you clarify? I wouldn't count the IE clipper at all since, in the past it really didn't have much of a UI at all.

Thank you for the clarification. Adding the user name to the foreign tags as a visual clue makes sense.

I hope that you will be able to segregate the foreign tags from my tags without having to manually click on the "All My Notes" notebook each time. The Find feature (Win + Shift +F) is too powerful to waste with this new change. It is more important than keeping the shared (joined) notebooks.

Sorry, I can't comment on specifics on the eye-candy, because I will not run anymore Evernote betas.

My data is too valuable to risk doing QA work.

Your comments about a "nicer interface" certainly concern me. That is similar to the promises about Mac 5.0. If you meant only the clipper, OK. I just don't want to eventually upgrade the Evernote Windows and face the same problems the Mac community is struggling with today.

• Level 5*

I don't see the changes as merely eye candy, but I still believe that there need to be some deeper changes due to inconsistencies caused by the mingling of personal and joined and business notebooks. I think that most of the points I made in earlier betas are still out there, for example (plus some new ones :)):

• You cannot designate in a search that you wish to search only personal notebooks, or joined notebooks or business notebooks. There's no way to express such a thing in the current search grammar, and even if you set up your filter the way you want it, you cannot persist that search as a saved search.
  • You cannot select your personal notebooks (All My Notes) in the search panel dropdown, though you can choose it in the notebook list in the left panel. Ditto for Business Notebooks. Ditto for Personal notebooks.
  • If you drag All My Notes to the toolbar, and click on it, it selects All Notebooks, not All My Notes
  • I'm still seeing some leakage of tags from joined notebooks into the tag list when I have a personal notebook selected, when showing all tags
  • I'm also seeing leakage of tags from joined notebooks into the business notebooks, that is, I pick Business Notebooks (with hide unassigned tags selected), see a bunch of tags, click on one of those with a note count > 0, and no notes turn up -- they're actually in my joined notebooks, not my business notebooks.
  • Apparently you cannot make a stack by dragging a joined notebook onto a personal notebook, but you can add a joined notebook to an existing stack. And you cannot drag a joined notebook out of a stack to the top level, to take it out of a stack, though right-click / Remove from stack works.

To me, the biggest inconsistency is being able to make a search that you cannot persist as a saved search. I'm hoping that Evernote has some search grammar updates in the works; I understand to some degree the difficulty of changing the grammar across all clients, but saving searches seems to be fundamental to a lot of people's usage of Evernote (mine included), it just seems like it's going to come up as more folks adopt the updated versions.

The update deleted the 'To Evernote' option in Outlook. This has happened before, but the option came back. Can't remember whether it was through a new update or something I did myself. (Didn't make a note of it, doh!)

Do any of you know how to get it back? I often use it batch import emails from my Gmail that don't have an automatied forwarding filter yet.

Thanks!

This doesn't fix the tag problem in the bar though where the tags don't clear that I mentioned in the beta 1 thread.

Dave

This is with saved searches in the favorites bar, correct?

This doesn't fix the tag problem in the bar though where the tags don't clear that I mentioned in the beta 1 thread.

Dave

This is with saved searches in the favorites bar, correct?

Yes... am still having that problem w/ this version.

Dave

Tags have certainly changed but still exhibit some rather odd results!

So based on the attached screen capture

If I click on 'Diary - 2007 Completed' it shows me 82 notes.

If I click on 'Diary - 2007 Completed (SOUTH WEST INSTRUMENTATION) 82' it shows me 2344 notes!

Same all the way down with the other years.

Bearing in mind the 'Diary Completed' notes are in a folder called 'z - Archive' if I click on that I see:

Diary - 2007 Completed (82)'

etc for all the other years

If I click on any one of these, it does nothing! Just continues to show me all 888 notes in the archive folder.

Maybe I am doing this wrong, but it worked very well before I moved these notes into the 'business' section.

Regards

Chris

post-86900-0-92574200-1356043490_thumb.p

Reopened the ticket on it, might PM you.

It's interesting because under the 'saved searches' menu on the left pane it works fine. It's only when it's in the shortcut bar that it breaks.

With these all in the shortcut bar:

Name: @Today (P1)

Query: notebook:_Current tag:@Today -tag:#*

Name: @Action(W)

Query: notebook:_Current tag:@* -tag:@Future -tag:@Goals -tag:@Me -tag:@Pending -tag:@Resource -tag:@Review -tag:@Today -tag:@Brainstorm -tag:#*

Name: @Brainstorm

Query: notebook:_Current tag:@Brainstorm -tag:#*

Click @Today (P1), works... click @Action(W), works... click @Brainstorm, works... click @Today (P1) again... both @Brainstorm and @Today tags both are now active when only @Today should be.

Archived