Feature Request: Separate Tag Lists

deverill

Idea

I have several notebooks for different things - work, programming, my homeowners association, medical, etc. The difficulty for me is that the "HOA-Water" tag is next to "How To-C#" and that's near "Heart Test". These are made up but you get the idea. My tags are jumbled together and although I can group them, I'd rather not see "Water Bill", or even the "parent tags" when dealing with my health notebook.

My suggestion is to have an option (must be optional!) to filter tags by notebook. If I'm in the Health notebook I'd like to be able to turn off the "Water Bill" and "Instantiation" tags and just have the health-related ones show up.

I understand it's not a trivial thing to do but wanted to put it on the table as something I would find useful and perhaps others would too.

I understand some of you think I shouldn't use tags and others think that about notebooks, but this is how it works for me so "don't judge me!" :) Seriously, let's not get into why I do it the way I do and just examine the suggestion at face value.

24 replies to this idea

Today I loaded the public beta 1 of version 5.6.0 and checked it against this topic. Bummer - no change at all. 

To make it for the EN guys a bit more clear where my problem is, here is a screenshot (sorry for some German content, but I am sure you'll get the idea):

forum1.png

To this note are only 8 tags attached, but there no chance to see them at once. Sure, it works for the search, but we're all visual human beings (which is the reason why we are working with EN!) and therefore we'd like to see here an improvement. The current solution is very disturbing. We even have two solutions to suggest:

- Solution 1: Make the header area with the tag line extensible. If a user has only 2-3 tags assigned, the bar would look like now. But if he uses tags heavily, the area could use two rows.

- Solution 2: In the inspector make the field "Tags" extensible as well.

For both solutions Autolayout (on OS X and iOS) should do the job perfectly. 

Hey EN guys, can you please give me a sign, that you read & understood this post? I fully respect that you don't want to give any promises here in the forum. Thanks

• Level 5*

I know that, but it is not very user friendly.

True, I don't think it is especially user-friendly either.

However, you claimed earlier that there was no way to see all of the tags anywhere in the app. That is actually inaccurate. It would be better to say that there is a way to see them all, but it is not user friendly, and you would like X. I am guessing X for you might be some kind of dropdown with a list of all the tags. My own desire would be to have a toggle on the app that would allow us to have all of the header information, location data, etc. on/off. Yes, longtime users will know this as a feature we lost a couple of years ago  :)

• Level 5*

As it turns out, I can see more than twenty tags (I stopped counting after that). Have you scrolled to the right (using the arrow key) in the tag row inside your note? Sure, it would be nice if you could see them all at once, but still, it is at least possible to view them all. 

I should have tested this out earlier this morning. The truth is that I haven't got any tags, though, and I was working with memory. I might start using them again, but that is a story for another thread.

• Level 5*

The limit for tags is 100 for a note (so I hear), so if we can only see a tiny fraction of those (less than 10%) it does seem like a problem to me. I can easily see the need for more than eight tags, though a note with 100 might be excessive! 

It is pretty easy to use multiple tags for just one note. We do use Evernote in many scenarios and languages. This means it get at first two tags general: for the business area and the language (ie. "Development" and "German"). Next, we specify the product, the version and its area with separate tags (ie. "Merlin", "V2", "Reporting", "Template"). If you count with me, we're already at 6 tags. Now, and this is from here a very extensible list, we want to specify the details in tags as well, like "Risk", "Probabilities" etc. You see, without any effort I have a list of tags. And these tags are - at least very often - not contained as words in the note itself. So, we do need them.

The next part you talked is screen real estate. As a developer I can assure you there are ways to solve this. But I don't think we have to do Evernotes job here ;-) So, my conclusion is; It is possible!

I'm curious about your tagging system and how eight tags applied to a single note and still have meaning. I have four or five tags on some of my notes and even at that I feel like I'm just adding tags to add tags. It seems like with that many tags it would be hard to discern the meaning from them. How are you using your tags? Maybe someone will have some suggestions without needing that many tags.

There has to be a limit to what we expect from Evernote and that many tags, each with many characters in them, is probably not going to be possible due to screen real estate. On a 15 inch laptop you can't see all of the programs on windows in the System Tray or all of the menu bar items on a Mac. There's just not enough room for all of that.

I see and understand that. But my point is, I need the tags in a list for 1 (one) note. I use tags a lot and really rely on them, but when I have more than 5-8 I can't see them all. Not in the header of the note and also not in the inspector.

I also experienced this frustration - that my tag list in my side bar no longer had the capability of showing only assigned tags.

It was a little better after I discovered that the drop down tag list does this (thankfully) but I really do miss the visual aspect of being able to have my tag list in the side bar show only assigned tags as well. I would really appreciate it if you guys considered bringing this option back.

Smiles,

Laura

I think that this is what the "Hide Unassigned Tags" operation is supposed to help out with. You pick a notebook, and you should only see tags that are used in the notebook (works with other types of search filters as well). Is that still available on the Mac?

Nope, removed for Evernote 5.

If I have understood what you are looking for correctly then that is how tags work on the business version.

So when you click on a folder in the Windows version you see a list of the tags associated with that folder. If you click on 'Business' you see all of the tags used in the Business section. Unfortunately the tags don't work at the moment, but that is another story!

But if they have put the feature in the Business version I guess it may be rolled out to the normal version.

Best regards

Chris

I second that request for tag lists. In general, if you are working a lot with tags and use many of them, EN doesn't support you well. As much as I love this app, but please try to have more that 6-8 tags in the window on a 15" notebook. You can not see them all… nowhere in EN.

I had that turned on in previous versions but can't for the life of me find it in EN 5. I'm sure it's somewhere obvious. I also didn't know, or forgot, that it applied at the notebook level.

Thanks for the tip, Jeff!

(Jim wanders off mumbling about getting old and forgetting all he used to know...)

• Level 5*

I think that this is what the "Hide Unassigned Tags" operation is supposed to help out with. You pick a notebook, and you should only see tags that are used in the notebook (works with other types of search filters as well). Is that still available on the Mac?

Archived