(Archived) FEATURE REQUEST FOR TO-DO's

fastdude

Idea

Why must EN try to mimic Things and other to-do apps? You have millions of users using EN in thousands of different ways. Let us continue to do so.

My suggestion: since EN has apparently committed to adding "Due Date" as an option, go a little farther and add a "Time Due", with a link to the alarm functions built into Windows, Mac OS, iOS, etc.

We, the users, will decide when and how each of us will use these functions.

9 replies to this idea

Why must EN try to mimic Things and other to-do apps? You have millions of users using EN in thousands of different ways. Let us continue to do so.

My suggestion: since EN has apparently committed to adding "Due Date" as an option, go a little farther and add a "Time Due", with a link to the alarm functions built into Windows, Mac OS, iOS, etc.

I don't see why you think EN is mimicing "Things and other to-do apps". In fact, I'd say the opposite. EN is NOT trying to be a to do list/task manager app. (Although there are a lot of apps that are similar, no matter what OS you're talking about. Please check the number of ***** apps or "find my parked car" apps.)

EN has apparently committed to the due date, but that's been a few years in the making & still not rolled out on any client. They've also been very clear that's as far as they will take the app wrt a to do/task management app.

I'm really not sure where you're coming from on this, quite frankly.

• Level 5

According to CEO, Phil Libin, at LeWeb earlier this month, the company will have a "To Do / Calendar Integration / Reminder" capability incorporated as a core Evernote feature sometime in the first half of 2013.

With the big push by Evernote into the business world (appointments, lauch dates, conferences, sales calls, flight times, etc.) I would expect that Time as well as Date will be part of the improvement. I doubt an alarm will be included, but we will see next year.

Search Code 47ER92

I would prefer to focus on my work and my data stored in EN, and not use valuable time deciding how to make OEM to-do's work best with EN.

I am referring to the many comments, suggestions, wish-lists (scattered throughout various websites) that note that many EN users, including myself, use EN as a to-do app, because we can directly link the large amount of data we have in EN to a todo note. I have read in the EN Forum that EN is exploring providing links to some cross-platform ToDo apps; Things was specifically named. Since so many EN users use GTD-type set-ups, there are (IMHO) three logical additions for GTD: due date, due time, and an alarm. This allows EN users to apply these new functions to our existing set-up, and not have to alter our set-ups to fit into the requirements of an outside ToDo app.

I am not ignoring the underlying programming challenges that these extensions might present to EN. However, by EN NOT addressing these functions, you are passing these challenges on to your customers, requiring many (millions?) of your customers who need decent links to to-do functions to essentially deal with these challenges on their own. That means time spent that I'd rather not spend.

At the least, I hope EN is open to having some Trunk partners address this situation with a standalone app.

• Level 5*
I am not ignoring the underlying programming challenges that these extensions might present to EN. However, by EN NOT addressing these functions, you are passing these challenges on to your customers, requiring many (millions?) of your customers who need decent links to to-do functions to essentially deal with these challenges on their own. That means time spent that I'd rather not spend.

Actually, they're passing their development choices off to third-party developers who wish to focus on more narrow areas of application, like to-dos, GTD, etc.

You can use EN for your to-do and calendar but only on iOS phone pad.

I'm loving it.

Awesome Note milks data from your EN account and displays it in beautiful interface + ads great new features.

all the due and calendar info appears at the bottom of the note in small font and its very logical so once you get your head around how to do and calendar text tags work you can put them directly inside EN and they will display in Awesome note.

Its still beyond me why EN can not use the same system and integrate this into EN. This guys did it. And they are not even part of the Elephant Trunk.

http://bridworks.com/anote/en/main/index.php

• Level 5*
Its still beyond me why EN can not use the same system and integrate this into EN. This guys did it. And they are not even part of the Elephant Trunk.

Is it beyond you to try to understand that Evernote is not interested in being just another to-do application?

davortesting,

There's a bigger world out there then iPhones and iPads. Awesome Note doesn't appear to work on Macs, the Internet, Windows, or Android phones. A Bluetooth sync is also limiting.

I like what I'm hearing about EN and some to-do functions.

Archived