(Archived) I don't get the search results the clipper shows in Chrome

EdH

• Level 5*

I guess I have the new clipper. WHen I search, it shows me 3 notes. In testing it with the term "microsoft" it showed the following:

• A note from Dec 1, 2012
  • A note from Nov 18, 2012
  • A note from June 7, 2010. Yes, 2010.

If I go into Evernote and search for "microsoft" I get 342 notes and the latest notes were Dec 13, 14 and 15 (one each) of 2012.

what are the clipper notes supposed to represent? A random collection of notes?

Pretty sure the trio of notes you're seeing are the new "Related Notes" feature that's being rolled out across the platforms. It's a feature that's introducing serendipitous moments of recall, showing you items in your notes that might be a little dusty but "related" to your recent clipping.

When paired with something like Evernote Business or shared notebooks, it gets a little more impressive, because you're seeing related ideas coalescing from other sources besides yourself. (below is from Mac)

12%207:17%20PM.jpg

• Level 5*

Hrm... ok. I'd be interested to see how that works, but I can also guarantee you the logic and math involved would be above my head. :D

It would be nice if there was a URL in the clipper results that would take you to your EN client on the desktop with the same search query and perform it there.

As it stands now, I just use to know there is something there to go look at and manually check myself.

You may have to rephrase that last sentence for me :)

A link to a broader related search could be interesting--though you're sort of getting that with Related Notes on Mac, since every note pulled comes with its own set of Related Notes. I'm not sure of the math/logic involved either, but it's going to be similar to a lot of the "augmented intelligence" work you're starting to see enacted within your notebook--stuff like Auto titling. Though to confirm, I'm guessing this is what you're seeing (minus the manatee)

12%208:01%20PM.jpg

• Level 5*

No. this is what I get - http://www.evernote.com/shard/s1/sh/03122c92-1ac5-4eea-acce-a8b908a64587/be229d179f923fcdc81ebe8baea3d492

and the notes changes. The December note is gone from the search and a June 2012 note shows up.

No links at all. I can click on the note thumbnail and it opens in evernote Web. I guess you are on the Mac? That search result seems a bit more rich than what I see on WIndows, and by saying "3 related notes" it gives the impression that there are only 3 notes that might match. For me, I know that is wrong for the term "microsoft" but if I keyed in something different, like "calming manatee" if it showed 3 I'd believe it even though I might have 4-5. That would be bad as I'd miss something.

No. this is what I get - http://www.evernote....81ebe8baea3d492

and the notes changes. The December note is gone from the search and a June 2012 note shows up.

No links at all. I can click on the note thumbnail and it opens in evernote Web. I guess you are on the Mac? That search result seems a bit more rich than what I see on WIndows, and by saying "3 related notes" it gives the impression that there are only 3 notes that might match. For me, I know that is wrong for the term "microsoft" but if I keyed in something different, like "calming manatee" if it showed 3 I'd believe it even though I might have 4-5. That would be bad as I'd miss something.

Ah. Those are related notes we're showing that coincide with Google Search results. My snapshot above is actually related notes in the Clipper itself, after you've clipped something. They're all operating on the same basic principle--an assortment of possible relations. Related Notes aren't really meant to replace traditional searching.

• 3 weeks later...

i have observed a similar "problem/issue."

my coworkers and I would like to use the business premium and the evernote related results to allow up to speed up our work. we search for data on google and also have folders of content (pdfs and htm files saved over the past several years - our own database if you will). currently we either search both in 2 steps or we just search google and forget to search our database. the evernote related results would solve/improve this for us allowing us to search google and our database once we have imported it into evernote premium in a shared business notebook.

however, the evernote related results does not shows very little of what we actually have in our evernote business notebooks. i have several OCRed/indexed pdfs in evernote. when running the the evernote webapp or the desktop app, i find what i am looking for in the evernote search. but when i search google in chrome or safari, the related results do not show what i am looking for or only show a fraction of what i would expect to see.

i know you said "related notes arent really meant to replace traditional searching." but if this can be improved (make related results show the same of what the built in evernote search shows), then we would add all of our employees to evernote premium. currently we are only paying for one user.

does evernote plan on improving the related results? this seems like this can be done. if i have the desktop client installed and running....the webclipper/chrome extension should be able to use the search database and show all of the results of the desktop app search.

evernote employee: please either send me a response on this forum or send me an email. thanks!

i have observed a similar "problem/issue."

my coworkers and I would like to use the business premium and the evernote related results to allow up to speed up our work. we search for data on google and also have folders of content (pdfs and htm files saved over the past several years - our own database if you will). currently we either search both in 2 steps or we just search google and forget to search our database. the evernote related results would solve/improve this for us allowing us to search google and our database once we have imported it into evernote premium in a shared business notebook.

however, the evernote related results does not shows very little of what we actually have in our evernote business notebooks. i have several OCRed/indexed pdfs in evernote. when running the the evernote webapp or the desktop app, i find what i am looking for in the evernote search. but when i search google in chrome or safari, the related results do not show what i am looking for or only show a fraction of what i would expect to see.

i know you said "related notes arent really meant to replace traditional searching." but if this can be improved (make related results show the same of what the built in evernote search shows), then we would add all of our employees to evernote premium. currently we are only paying for one user.

does evernote plan on improving the related results? this seems like this can be done. if i have the desktop client installed and running....the webclipper/chrome extension should be able to use the search database and show all of the results of the desktop app search.

evernote employee: please either send me a response on this forum or send me an email. thanks!

It's a good idea, buffing up the results of Related Notes to something more extensive. I'll relay this to our web clipper product manager and we'll look into expanding results for Related Notes.

Archived