(Archived) Using Evernote as a classroom portfolio

Hi,

I have 350+ students, grades K-5. I'd like to create an Evernote notebook for each student that will be used as a portfolio and will be added to until they leave elementary school. The problem I'm having is with the 250 shared notebook limit. What is the best way to make this work?

I tried to create a new Evernote account for each grade level, but that seems to require a unique email address per account, and I'd prefer not to have all of those email accounts to manage.

Will upgrading to the premium level allow me to create more than 250 shared notebooks?

Bruce

• Level 5

250 is the current max for standard notebooks.

"250 Synchronized
Notebooks
(including Notebook Stacks). All 250 notebooks can be shared. There is no limit to the number of Local Notebooks (which aren't synced) you can have."

Why not just throw everyone into a single notebook and let unique tags (name and student ID #) do the heavy lifting for searches?

• Level 5*

But beware how you share. Some of your options include providing 'open' notes with potentially personal details which will be accessible from the internet by anyone with the relevant URL. Think about your students' privacy before you commit to one strategy or another..

• Level 5

That's a good point Gaz. My suggestion would not work if the students are going to access the information. And it brings up the bigger question about privacy and security. Before setting up Evernote, it would be a good idea to run the entire concept past the school administrators and possibly legal staff as well.

In my experience, a notebook per child is overkill. I've been honing my strategy over the past couple of years and I now use tags for students. I export all the "student notes" at the end of the year and archive them. If (or when) their future teachers want to continue using Evernote to document student learning, I can just send them the notes they need. I wrote a post about it a couple of years ago. My thoughts there are, obviously, two years old, but still something to get you thinking.

Thank you for your thoughtful replies. I guess I'll have to look further into keeping my student's portfolios private. I intend to share the info. with parents at conferences, or to throw their stuff on a disk when they leave the school, and haven't thought about the kids themselves accessing the files. Also, I'll read mrgoerend's post mentioned above in a little while.

Archived