(Archived) Does Evernote recopy files from an external hard drive?

Broadcasting Sunny

I am new to Evernote. A friend of mine convinced me of its power :)

One way I would very much like to use Evernote is to tag the photos I have on an external hard drive. When I click and drag a photo from my external hard drive to Evernote, it says + copy under the file I'm moving to a notebook (I've tried tag as well). The reason I got an external hard drive is because I take lots of photos and they have very high file size. I am trying to save space on my internal hard drive.

So is evernote saving it again or just the shortcut link to the file?

• Level 5*

Yes. When you pull an image (or any attachment) into Evernote, it stores a copy of that image inside its database, and also syncs it to the cloud. So unless you want to store images only in Evernote (and remove them from your hard drive), you will be storing duplicates.

• Level 5*

Sure,just copy the file path into the note (e.g. "C:\Users\Jeff\Music\"). It should paste in as a link. Unfortunately, it won't work on other computers if you access the containing note from somewhere else. So yeah, you can do it, but it may not be all that useful. Evernote is built to access your notes from anywhere that you can connect to the cloud from.

Archived