How to remove the evernote Outlook add in completely

Hello developers,

I'm running Evernote 4.5 under windows 7 with outlook 2010.

I'm really trying to be nice here, but how to completely remove the f**king outlook add-in of Evernote?

I understand you guys want your software prevail everywhere but please this is just a notebook app.

If there's no way to do it, I'll have to uninstall it.

Thank you.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Also trying to be nice, and will desist from usage of asterisked out expletives, but the suggested solution doesn't work, next time you start Outlook the bloody (not an expletive) add-on is back to ticked! I concur with RioREN, computers would be better devices if software could just stick to its primary purpose and not slide its tentacles into everything it can get hold of!! Especially without giving the user a choice (e.g., uninstall module can only remove Evernote completely, not modify)

• Like 1

Office 2010 and EN 4.6.1 here, on Win7 x64. The EvernoteOL add-in is indeed in the add-ins list - but in Manage COM add-ins popup dialog it is _not_checked.

More over, I've deleted the DLL, all the same. Not sure it's worth an expletive... maybe, a bug in Outlook?

-- dd

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

dddbug, thanks for your posts. I strongly suspect it's Evernote being ever so persistent, not an Outlook bug. If you untick and remove the OneNote plugin, it's gone for good, if you do the same with the Evernote plugin, it comes back when re-starting Outlook. Your trick with removing the dll (EvernoteOL.dll) works, but the user clearly shouldn't have to resort to such measures. Evernote is a fantastic note-taking tool, but a little consideration for all of us who aren't able to fork out for new powerful laptops and have to manage application sprawl would be very decent. 

• Like 1

Hi Mathi80 and welcome to the forum,

Nothing at all about 'Evernote being ever so persistent...'

This is a superb feature of Evernote that I and others use all the time.

Glad you got your problem sorted.

Best regards

Chris

I'm glad you find the Outlook plugin useful, I'm sure many do. Evernote clearly agree that this is such a great feature that it should be force-fed to all Evernote users, alongside the clipper, browser plugins and what have you. All I'm saying is that some of us may want to use Evernote purely as a note-taking facility, and need to keep background services to a minimum to keep our old laptops runnning reasonably smoothly. Thoughtful software developers tend to give you a choice on what extra features to install alongside the core application.

• Like 1

Hi Mathio80,

I have the choice to turn any of these feature off without any difficulty. So not sure why you think that Evernote is causing you a problem or are not thoughtful? 

Best regards

Chris

• 8 months later...

using outlook 2007, it was almost impossible to find the Manage COM Add-ins (it's under the TOOLS \ Trust Center \ Add-Ins \ Manage COM Add-Ins (GO), then select the evernote add-in, and finally click on REMOVE ).  oh, you also have to restart outlook after making this change.

having said this, starting outlook on a reasonably high-powered PC took upwards of 90 seconds when evernote's outlook clipper/add-in was installed.  once it was removed, outlook took less than 2 seconds to load.

methinks evernote needs to do more testing to find out why its add-in (1) is so difficult to remove (i literally had to wander through damned-near EVERY setting possible), and (2) why having it installed would cause outlook to choke on itself on startup...

as others here have stated, evernote is cool for note-taking, and the ability to "clip" from numerous places can be handy.  HOWEVER, it should be easy to tell the product where and when.

currently, it sucks in that regard.

for what that's worth.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I have to agree with the original poster.

I can understand how some users might find benefit from the Evernote add-in in Outlook, but frankly I never use it. I'm sure I am the lesser for not recognizing and utilizing the magic of Evernote integrated in outlook. 

Don't get me wrong, I love Evernote - I just don't use it in that way.

I probably wouldn't mind it being there except that every time an Evernote update comes in, and this is pretty frequently, (and I'm happy the support is there) I have to shut down whatever I'm doing in Outlook.

I successfully removed the add-in, only to have it reinstated the next day when an Evernote update came in.

Just sayin' - Evernote should not make mandatory changes in Outlook. Let the users make a choice.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I agree with the original poster.

If Evernote wants to make changes / add "features" to any other applications it should be an option during install.

I am in a business environment where Evernote is not allowed for business purposes (IP, security, etc.). I use it for personal notes (and love it, paying for premium), but Outlook is strictly for business - i do not want them mixed up. Besides being a bit difficult to remove, removing the add0in after each update to Evernote is quite annoying.

It is the wrong approach to force the install of add-ins without the user having an option.

Just my 2 cents.

• 1 year later...

Here it is over two years later and the add-ins are still a required part of the installation. I don't want them and I won't use them. I want nothing showing up in the Outlook ribbon except what I explicitly choose. Please make the add-ins optional.

• 2 months later...

I have not had this issue before, but my latest Windows updates (corporate Exchange server environment) and latest Evernote update brought me here. I don't know what the Evernote add-in for Outlook does, nor do I want to take the time to find out. My Outlook environment should be completely separate from Evernote, which is my note-taking tool and personal life organizer ONLY. 

So yeah, I'm in the "stop pushing the add-in into Outlook every release" camp.  You just took 15 minutes of my life, and I don't think you've sent me a check in the mail or a credit on my premium account for that matter.  

Knock it off. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Agreed, woke up to this screen this morning and NEED to check my email right now...

[screen shot with Outlook 2010 Loading Outlook Evernote Contact Connector]  hung on this screen.

Ugh tried to add a screenshot to this post, and am getting "you cannot use that image extension on this community" tried both jpg and png....

Seriously guys get  your stuff together

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi all,

im a bit late to this, i agree totally with the original post and i found this forum probably the same as most here by looking for a way to remove the add in. and again ill ask why is evernote so persistent in pushing this function? i cant have this on my work pc and im afraid it will push me to stop using it and go to one note, And also im ok with PCs and tech and can carry out most stuff myself but why should a user have to find and delete dll files ? it should be my choice for software to interact, and of course when it updates you have to once again delete dll files. really our IT guys get really annoyed at this stuff, its a shame cause i love evernote

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi folks, 

Also getting irritated by this. I used evernote for personal stuff and have it installed on my professional machine where I use outlook, there is no business reason for evernote to be hooked up to Outlook in my case, and the fact that I can't disable it for good is a good enough reason for our security team to force me to remove Evernote.

Please give an option to disable Outlook integration. 

Thanks

Thomas

• 4 weeks later...

Outlook 2013 and WIndows 10.

I have uninstalled evernote long time ago, when the 2 devices limit came to force.

I still see the evernote icon on outlook, but there is no entry about evernote in the add-ins.

I could not even find the evernote EvernoteOL.dll

Any ideas?

Capture.PNG

Hi mioan, it's a COM Add-in which I think means that it shows up in the command bar as a button. You need to click on the "Go..." button at the bottom next to Manage: COM Add-ins. These days I leave it unchecked but don't remove, as otherwise it'll sneakily come back and be checked again. 

• 1 year later...

Hi AchillesThunder,

Looks like Outlook 2016? Try right-clicking around the ribbon area until you can get a pop-up with "Customise the Ribbon". Then look for the Evernote in the right hand side. It is probably going to be under Home (something). May have to expand some of the items until you locate it. But it certainly should be in there somewhere. Once you find it, Remove will solve this.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have recently had Office 2016 pushed to my laptop, and I'm also in the "I don't want the Evernote add-in" camp.

I have unchecked the COM add-in and closed / rebooted / opened Outlook again.  There it is, slowing things down because it's disabled but not GONE.

(I will also say that there is another phantom add-in I cannot get rid of for good, so Evernote has company.)

If there is a DLL I can delete to make this problem go away forever, can someone please tell me what it is?  Thanks.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

For those of us who do not want Evernote connected to Outlook, Evernote needs to provide an option to disable this feature and persist it through Evernote updates so the two Evernote add-ins are not installed in Outlook.  It is very frustrating to remove the two add-ins from Outlook only to have them return after an Evernote update.  And I agree that one reason to remove them is they slow down Outlook when it is launched.

• 6 months later...
Em 10/12/2012 at 07:11, RioREN disse:

Hello developers,

I'm running Evernote 4.5 under windows 7 with outlook 2010.

I'm really trying to be nice here, but how to completely remove the f**king outlook add-in of Evernote?

I understand you guys want your software prevail everywhere but please this is just a notebook app.

If there's no way to do it, I'll have to uninstall it.

Thank you.

I hate this, I dont need this, I never will use it and ever have to disable, in all update of evenote

To follow up on my frustration level:  I have deleted Evernote for Windows and will not re-install it until this issue is resolved. 

IF I need to reference something while on my work system, I pop up the web version, find the thing, and close it again.  SO VERY LITTLE EYEBALL TIME ON EVERNOTE WHILE WORKING.  

This has made my work life happier, because Outlook does not piss me off as much; it is also a shame, because I used Evernote for work things more often when it was presented as a reasonable and reliable app.   

Evernote has been relegated to personal use almost exclusively now.  It's great for recipes, but I'm pretty sure the product team had loftier goals.  

Feeling bitter and unhelped.  

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

@njlane Any news about your support ticket ?

I should have come back here a few months ago.  After uninstalling it from my Windows 10 machine and living with the Web version, on a whim I tried reinstalling it.   It did not automatically shove in the Outlook add-in!  and it's behaved quite well. 

It's a corporate machine with automatic security updates pushed from a central manager, so it's likely a quite up to date Windows version.  If you want to know exactly what releases I'm on now, let me know.  (This reply from a personal Mac where of course Evernote has worked without incident the whole time.   Sigh.)  

Your mileage may vary, but a complete uninstall and reinstall - perhaps when Outlook is not running - could work for you too. 

• Level 5

Thanks for reporting this back.

Hope the trouble got sorted out meanwhile. Since I am on a Mac as well, running Spark as my mail client, no trouble either.

The corporate guys running Exchange servers probably have more urgent business at hand currently; seeing to get the holes plugged and the black hats eliminated from the networks.