(Archived) Firefox clips unformatted; Chrome clips formatted

e1ven

I a Mac OSX user, and I switch browsers quite frequently, but one thing that's keeping me in Chrome lately is that Evernote Web Clipper doesn't allow me to preserve full-formatted pages, but the Chrome extension will.

Even when I select Full Article under the section menu, I receive a page that looks like it has no CSS.

Chrome pulls the page properly, allowing me a screen-accurate recording into Evernote.

I see the same result if a drag-and-drop the page from my URL bar into the Desktop application's icon.

It does not seem to matter if I tell the Extension to save directly to the Desktop app, or to the web version, I see the same result either way.

I primarily use Evernote as a Pocket/Read-it-later style story saving service, so this is a very useful feature to me.

Currently using FF 18.0 (Plugin version 5.4) Chrome 25.0.1349.2 (Plugin 5.9.3) , OSX 10.8.2, Evernote 5.0.0.

Thank you for any ideas.

-CPD

I'm experiencing the same problem with Firefox 17.0.1, also a Mac OSX user. I was previously using FF 16.0.2 and had no problems with the web clipper. It wasn't until my FF updated to 17 that the issues began. It's happening pretty much with every site.

EDIT: Just upgraded to Firefox 18 and the issue persists. I used the clipper to clip the Evernote.com home page and here's a screenshot attached of how the note appears...

post-113813-0-57260300-1355420741_thumb.

I am using Firefox 17.0.1 and Evernote 4.6.0.7670 (268178) Public. Evernote web clips used to work quite well - not always perfect, but usually highly acceptable. I believe about Firefox 16.something, clipping quality deteriorated significantly. See attached for clip of google.com - that is representative of results on most sites. No site clips accecptably well relative to past performance of Evernote.

post-114999-0-68506200-1355520254_thumb.

Having the same problem since upgrading to Firefox 17.0.1 for Mac using Web Clipper 4.

Tried to upgrade to Evernote Web Clipper 5.4, the problem persists.

Updated to Evernote Version 5.0.3 (400675), and the the problem grows. Web clipper clips something but it's nowhere in my Evernote app.

Upgraded to Evernote Version 5.0.4 (400704), web clipper takes so slow and still unformatted.

UPDATE December 18, 2012

Downgraded to Firefox 16.0.2 with Evernote Web Clipper 5.4 and Evernote Version 5.0.4 (400704), web clipped correctly with format.

Possibly problem with Firefox 17.0.1?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

If you can post a few URL's where this happen that would be extremely helpful.

In general we are able to keep the styling better when you are clipping with the setting 'Send clips to Evernote Web'.

jbignert, you guys have been given a number of examples, and it has been a month. Are you making any progress on resolving this critical issue? Can we expect an update to the EN Web clipper that works with FF18, all running on Mac Lion and Mt. Lion?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

As far as I can tell, this is an Evernote Clipper problem, not FF. I made the mistake of updating the Clipper addon and now no longer have the handy "Paste to Evernote" option. Additionally, whatever I do paste gets converted to plain text. The Paste and Match style option doesn't work either. It's really disappointing. I'm a premium member but this change will be a deal breaker for me as it makes Evernote useless for my primary purpose.

I knew the updates to the iPhone app were pretty kludgy. Not sure why I thought the update to the Clipper addon would be any different. Guess hope springs eternal. :-(

@jbignert: There used to be such a feature; that is my entire point. The latest version of Evernote is really bad in comparison to v3something. It had been awhile since I updated. Wish I still hadn't done so.

You could select something from a doc, web page, etc, choose copy, then click the Clipper icon in the task bar and choose "Paste to Evernote". It would do an elegant paste with all formatting preserved. Now it enters it in plain text. Another change I noticed is that editing is now a huge hassle compared to older versions.

Maybe the original geniuses behind Evernote have been promoted / moved on, and now it's being managed by random PMs that are just trying to do their 8-5. The newest iPhone app, the FF Clipper, and the installed Evernote for Mac are all very bad compared to how Evernote worked in the past. I guess if you haven't been a longtime user, you wouldn't have that comparison and perhaps the current versions all seem fine in that case.

I'm a longtime Evernote user and for me the recent versions are woefully inferior to how it functioned (and even looked) in the past.

Archived