How do I hide shared notebooks and tags?

Yes! This was annoying me too. I don't even want to see those shared notes unless I actually look for them.

I ended up creating a new Evernote account specifically for sharing notebooks with friends. Not me sharing mine, but for viewing their stuff.

On a Mac with Premium Acct.

Steve J

• 2 months later...

Sorry to see no activity on this topic. Up to Mac 5.0.4 I only saw my own tags, but with 5.0.5 tags from shared notebooks appeared, drowning my own tags in noise.

Seems schizophrenic to me that 5.0.5 featured tightened search (allowing it to be restricted to only my notes) but at the same time loosened tags (now they always include shared tags). Unless this is a bug?

Seems particularly nutty that shared tags are shown even after scoping 'all notes' to 'my notes'.

Unfortunately, the release notes to version 5.0.5 hinted that the previous behaviour where tags from joined notebooks did not show up was in fact a bug. I believe this is how it works in the Windows client as well. (I do think the issue with joined tags/notes showing up in search scoped to "My notes" is a bug, though).

This is bad news, since the current implementation is a bag of hurt. If you use tags to organise stuff and join a notebook where the owner uses tags, you're both screwed.

1) You cannot add you own tags to any joined notebooks. So, there is no way of implementing them in your own workflow.

2) You have to deal with the other user's nonsensical (to you!) tags. It's particularly annoying that you have to roam trough someone else's tags when applying your own tags.

3) If you have tags that are named the same way, the joined notebook (whether relevant or not) will show up when you show a tag (I have been forced to rename my own tags, lest I got spammed with irrelevant notes from a joined notebook)

4) You can actually delete tags from the joined notebooks notes. I've done this accidentally, thereby messing things up for my colleague.

I do not think tags should be shared in any way. It would be much, much better if anyone in a joined notebook could use their own tags not visible to anyone else.

I'm having this problem as well. shared notebooks cluttering my own tags. On windows I can hide the unrelated tags but this doesn't seam posible at te moment for mac?

What really would be great is to set allowing tags to show up on or not per (shared) notebook in the notebook settings.

• 4 weeks later...

I completely agree with the points made in this thread.

My husband and I share a couple notebooks, with the goal to make it simple to mutually access certain types of information.

But ever since one of the recent Evernote updates for Mac, my husband's *different* tagging system has started showing up in my collection of tags. This is really a problem! I use tags extensively, and having similar-but-different tags mixed in together is really making things a mess.

Although I fully understand that some collaboration groups will benefit greatly from sharing tags on notes, the ONLY way this type of sharing works is if you agree up front to having some kind of COORDINATED system for naming your tags. Which currently is only possible if you hold meetings for this purpose outside of Evernote, or have some kind of structured list for people to refer to. Certainly not what my husband and I need or want in our situation.

It's not really that hard to fix, conceptually. Just two things required:

i) The capability in Evernote to distinguish between "my tags", "your tags", and "our tags".

ii) And then a setting in Evernote so people can choose to share tags at the level that is useful in their situation. If they CHOOSE to share tags, then the onus is on them to also coordinate their tag naming system. But at least they have that choice, knowing that in their situation, the effort to coordinate their tag naming system is worth the benefits. (And maybe someday Evernote could have a built-in system for helping with this coordination... but that is not the immediate problem...)

Unfortunately, since Evernote is not providing a choice on this, and with my husband and I having better use of our together time than holding meetings about how we name our Evernote tags... imagine that (!) ... now I find myself having to choose between my tag "household" and my husband's tag of "house". Or my tag of "2009 MINI" and my husband's tag of "Mini". How am I supposed to remember which one is mine and which one is his? And my tag collection is becoming a real mess (and his probably is too).

I have looked at some other posts on this topic and I understand Evernote has been under a lot of pressure to allow tag sharing. But, again, it creates a huge problem if this tag naming/sharing is not coordinated somehow.

PLEASE give us the option to NOT share tags unless we want to! And then segregate those tags as suggested above, into individual vs. shared tags.

Thanks for listening... I love Evernote and use it intensively, so I would really like it to remain the highly functional system that it has been in the past.

• 2 months later...

This is definitely needed. I share folders with my wife, co-workers, and my business partner. Having so many people with different tagging methods makes Evernote's tag system almost unusable. We really need to be able to either: a) hide tags from shared notebooks entirely; B) group tags by "shared" and "mine"; or c) group tags by "mine", "John's", "Amy's", etc.

• Level 5

There should be some relief for tag overload in our next release. As far as notes that don't belong to you showing up in your note list, select the view options button at the top of your note list and click "my notes" instead of "all notes".

@Jackolicious... glad to hear that an update for better tag management is on the way. FYI the "note view" really isn't an issue (for me, anyway), it is the tags that are at the root of the problem. Either way, thanks for the reply, nice to know you guys are following this, hoping the update helps!

• 3 months later...
  • Level 5

Has there been any update to this?  I just installed Evernote 5 and have 6 shared notebooks worth of tags :(

Any way to view tags just in your own notebook?

Yes. In the Tags window, click on the popup menu in the upper right and select 'My Tags'.

Has there been any update to this?  I just installed Evernote 5 and have 6 shared notebooks worth of tags :(

Yes. In the Tags window, click on the popup menu in the upper right and select 'My Tags'.

Where, again? I can't find any such menu in 5.3.0 Beta 3.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I just updated to Evernote 5 and I'm inundated with shared tags in my lefthand navigation pane.  This is wrecking the usefullness of evernote.

When I go to the tag pane and select "my tags" this does not change what is shown in the lefthand nav pane.

The only reason I pay for evernote is for shared notebooks.  But with this tag problem I won't use shared notebooks and therefore I won't pay for evernote.  Let's get this fixed people.  It's hard to believe this got through UAT but it did.  Please fix.

• 4 weeks later...

This work for the Tags view, but not for the tag's tree hierarchy at the left side. Any plan to fix this?

• 4 weeks later...

This work for the Tags view, but not for the tag's tree hierarchy at the left side. Any plan to fix this?

Seconded. It's well and good to be able to view only my tags on the tag page, but since I (and others, I would wager) use the tag list in the sidebar FAR more than the tag page, this of little help. Can we get filtering for the tags in the left column?

• 3 months later...

I would just like to bump this thread again as this feature (which is surely very simple to implement) really would solve tag related issues for myself and, clearly, many other users.

It is the list on the left panel that still remains very cluttered - very 'un-Evernote' :)

This being solved, as well as the ability to chose whether to 'share' tags or not, per notebook, would (as far as i can tell) clear up any real tag 'issues' altogether.

On a positive note..... well done on an overall brilliant piece of software and it's integration over multiples devices.

Ditto on the bump.  If you read back through the thread, Jackolicious told us in Feb 2013 'expect some help in the near-term future', then again in May 2013 'some relief in our next release' then Browncoat in Sept 2013 'coming soon'

I'd say it's about time 'the near term future' and 'soon' arrived on the Mac.

• Level 5

Ditto on the bump.  If you read back through the thread, Jackolicious told us in Feb 2013 'expect some help in the near-term future', then again in May 2013 'some relief in our next release' then Browncoat in Sept 2013 'coming soon'

Yes, we were referring to the filtering of tags (All tags, My tags, Business tags) which has been in for a while now.

Yes, we were referring to the filtering of tags (All tags, My tags, Business tags) which has been in for a while now.

Where does one find the command for "filtering of tags"? For the Mac??? And where is the command for defining tag categories ("All", "My", "Business")? These sound like great features... but... I have scoured the app and also just spent several minutes looking through your help files. I cannot find anything that seems to apply to the Evernote 5.5 application I am running on my MacBook Pro. Confused. Hoping the solution is obvious once explained.

• Level 5

How does one activate said "popup menu"? In the Tags window on my Evernote 5.5, there is no such thing. ???

Here is what I see:

i) A drop-down menu for my account sign on

ii) An icon to sync Evernote with the cloud

iii) A satellite dish icon for shared notebooks

iv) A button for "+New Tag"

v) A drop-down menu for "+New Note in <Notebook>"

vi) A button to organize by "Name" or "Note Count"

vii) Plus all my tags and the stuff in the sidebar

I have left- and right-clicked all over the screen and nowhere does a popup menu like you describe appear.

????

No, no, no.  C'mon, Evernote.  Think like a user.  The tags window functionality does NOT solve the problem.  The problem is in the navigation pane (I think the creative evernote name is the "left panel") there is no way to filter tags from other users.  I use this pane (as most users probably do) on a constant basis to quickly navigate.  The tags portion is completely useless b/c of the lack of a simple filter feature.

• Level 5

How does one activate said "popup menu"? In the Tags window on my Evernote 5.5, there is no such thing. ???

I have left- and right-clicked all over the screen and nowhere does a popup menu like you describe appear.

I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to mislead anyone. The tag filtering is only available for business accounts and only distinguishes Business tags from Personal tags. (Tags from shared notebooks are included in the personal section). 

I apologize again for any confusion.

• Level 5

No, no, no.  C'mon, Evernote.  Think like a user.  The tags window functionality does NOT solve the problem.  The problem is in the navigation pane (I think the creative evernote name is the "left panel") there is no way to filter tags from other users.  I use this pane (as most users probably do) on a constant basis to quickly navigate.  The tags portion is completely useless b/c of the lack of a simple filter feature.

I know this isn’t exactly what you want, but the tags listed in the sidebar (what you call the navigation pane) are filtered based on what is currently displayed in the note list; So if you’re looking at one of your notebooks, you should not see any tags from other users.

After Adjusting's last post I see our conflict more clearly:

When I use the filter (under the view-changing icon) to scope my interest to 'My Notes' I want that to mean "scope everything I do to only my notes until I change this setting".

Unfortunately,  I have to separately scope the query text entry box - but once I do that, it stays scoped.  

Not so with tags.

As soon as I select one of my tags in the navigation pane, a raft of tags from shared notebooks appear, and the scope of tag selection changes under me. (n.b. if I had entered "tag:x" as query text instead, things would have stayed scoped to 'My Notes')

Evernote must have seen the difficulty - since business users can scope to only private notes - now to just extend that privilege to personal/shared scoping. Me, I'd like to see one toggle somewhere that scopes note display, tags, notebooks, and text entry all at once.

I know this isn’t exactly what you want, but the tags listed in the sidebar (what you call the navigation pane) are filtered based on what is currently displayed in the note list; So if you’re looking at one of your notebooks, you should not see any tags from other users.

No, that doesn't work.  I tried creating a new notebook with one note in it and no tags and then selecting that notebook so only that note shows up on the note list.  Despite this ALL the tags (including shared tags) are still showing up.

The functionality you describe is good enough - if it worked.

• Level 5

No, that doesn't work.  I tried creating a new notebook with one note in it and no tags and then selecting that notebook so only that note shows up on the note list.  Despite this ALL the tags (including shared tags) are still showing up.

Ok. Let’s try this one more time:

1. If your note list is showing All Notes, you should see all tags in the sidebar

2. If your note list is showing All My Notes (select from the view menu at the top right of the note list), you should only see your own tags (no tags from joined notebooks)

3. If your note list is showing a joined notebook, you should only see tags used in that notebook

4. If your note list is showing a personal notebook, you should see the same tags as All My Notes, (no tags from joined notebooks)

I can confirm that what Adjusting is saying is, in fact, true. 

Tags listed in sidebar. 

If I am in any notebook I OWN, (shared or not), ALL my tags appear. 

When I switch to a notebook owned by someone else, ONLY the tags used in that notebook appear. 

Ok. Let’s try this one more time:

1. If your note list is showing All Notes, you should see all tags in the sidebar

2. If your note list is showing All My Notes (select from the view menu at the top right of the note list), you should only see your own tags (no tags from joined notebooks)

3. If your note list is showing a joined notebook, you should only see tags used in that notebook

4. If your note list is showing a personal notebook, you should see the same tags as All My Notes, (no tags from joined notebooks)

This does not address some of the real issues with shared tags, though. Still no way to filter out tags from joined notebooks in the Tags view ( ⌘⌥3). Also, you have to go trough a joined notebook's tags while tagging your own, unshared notes. This gets frustrating quickly if you use similar naming conventions (like separating tags with prefixes like . or ! or #) not to mention if they're the 

exact same name which is a problem since it will group with your existing tag making it impossible to distinguish shared notes from unshared notes if you go the tag route. Another problem is, that there's no way to protect my tags in a joined notebook from getting removed from its notes (if I delete a tag from a shared notebook, the tag will still exist in the owners tag, but will be removed from their shared notes (I can't add my own tags to shared notes, why should I be able to remove tags?).

tl;dr: Tags from joined notebooks are still a mess.

• 2 months later...

I so badly want this fixed and it is a shame that Evernote seems to ignore the desperate calls over the years. Especially since users pay for the sharing features.

I've got an extensive tag tree which means the poor people I want to share my notebooks with have to put up with a convoluted mess of tags and sift through tags they never use and aren't theirs when they are adding their own notes to their notebooks. 

How can that pass as an acceptable system?

Can we have notebook specific tags please that only show (in the sidebar and when creating notes) when the user is actually viewing/editing that notebook?

Can we have notebook specific tags please that only show (in the sidebar and when creating notes) when the user is actually viewing/editing that notebook?

This already exists (in an admittedly limited form). In any notebook you can select the little tag icon to list all the tags used in that notebook, and you can select one or more tags to drill down to notes in that notebook tagged with one or more of them. 

See the following screenshot:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s25/sh/c9c06baf-e5c6-4e12-9786-295944968ebb/4ef9b1414e0c2f92d569e017b19c0157

With respect to the other concerns:

Only the tags YOU have used in the notebook you share should get transported to the person you shared it with. If you have tags that are used in other notebooks than this shared one, those tags don't come along for the ride. One of the main reasons for this is that you might set up (and impose) a tagging structure on your collaborator. It is worth noting that anyone you share with cannot add a tag that isn't already used somewhere in that shared notebook. So the person you share it with can only ever use the tags that you've already used. If your tags didn't come along for the ride, the user wouldn't be able to apply any tags to notes in that shared notebook! (this is, of course, to protect you from an influx of crazy nonsense tags from the person or people you shared with, the corollary consequence being that the person or people you share with get your mess, but I think the idea is that the sharer [you] are technically an administrator and this is to give you control over how tagging is done and what tags are used). 

That being said, I think how tags get handled with sharing notebooks is a bit clumsy. I really do hope that Evernote is working to refine how this works. Indeed, I think the actual magnitude of the problem has really emerged with the release of Evernote Business. If you look in that community forum they struggle with tags in much the same way that other users do (except, perhaps, on a much larger scale).

I hope (and suspect) that these growing issues, especially as Business has made apparent, will spur some polishing (or outright fixing, depending on how you see it) of tags and shared notebooks.  

• Level 5*

I so badly want this fixed and it is a shame that Evernote seems to ignore the desperate calls over the years. Especially since users pay for the sharing features.

Just a small nitpick here (I don't think that it invalidates the topic, though): even free users can share notebooks, and one of them can be writeable. Free users can of course have read/write notebooks shared to them by anyone else.
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello all - great topic and we definitely need help here. Scott Lougheed, i can confirm that indeed it does NOT work per the requests of posters here.  When I filter the notes down to "All My Notes" (windows version 5.4.1.3874) and i go to the "left nav bar", i see tags from ALL notebooks i can access, including shared ones.  

if the filter at the top worked for all of the things you can see (including tags) it would be a good solution, but it does not.

hope this helps

doug

• Level 5*

Hello all - great topic and we definitely need help here. Scott Lougheed, i can confirm that indeed it does NOT work per the requests of posters here.  When I filter the notes down to "All My Notes" (windows version 5.4.1.3874) and i go to the "left nav bar", i see tags from ALL notebooks i can access, including shared ones.  

You should be aware that while you are referring to Evernote for Windows-specific behavior, this topic is tagged as Mac. The two clients do not always operate the same.

if the filter at the top worked for all of the things you can see (including tags) it would be a good solution, but it does not.

hope this helps

doug

Doug, you'll notice my reply pertains specifically to Katrin's query, which I quoted, and which DOES work. The other complaints in this thread, I did not address when I said "it works".
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I am the same.  Business user and each of us use a different type of system to tag,  I would love the ability to even put all the shared Tags in a "folder" called shared tags so i can minimize them on my list of tags and not see the 150+ tags that everyone else is useing and i know they would like the same.

• 5 months later...

Has there been any progress on this?

Family members have shared a couple of notebooks with me, and they have a huge number of tags. I do not want to see or use those tags unless I am specifically looking in those notebooks. In this case, the notebooks are recipes, so, for example, there is a "bulgur" tag. As a result, "bulgur" is automatically suggested anytime I start to type a tag name beginning with "b".

This seems like such a simple feature, to enable showing or hiding of particular notebooks and/or other people's tags. Please resolve this ASAP.

• 8 months later...

I still seem to have problems with this. I have two colleagues who have access to a notebook I've shared with them. They don't just see the tags that have been used in that notebook, they see all of my tags including ones they really shouldn't. Based on the descriptions here that say that isn't how it works, I think a glitch has happened here. I tested out Scott's May 2014 post about selecting a notebook and then clicking on the 'Tag' icon to just see what's associated with that workbook. Again, mine hasn't worked that way. There's reams of tags with 0 associated items (because they're pegged to my personal workbook).

• 1 year later...

Archived