Windows App - Password protect (lock it) without logging out

It would be extremely nice to be able to lock the Windows app for Evernote.

Many of us use our personal Evernote accounts on our work machines. I would like to have the option to require a password/pin when attempting to restore Evernote from the taskbar.

Currently, I have to sign out every time I leave. We keep personal information in our Evernote accounts and I am always leary about somebody remoting in to do maintenance at night, getting nosy, and checking out what notes I have.

I know the Android version has the option to require a PIN#, but I don't think that would carry over to the PC app. Either way, I don't want to pay extra for account security.

Thank you!

Ixath

It would be extremely nice to be able to lock the Windows app for Evernote.

Many of us use our personal Evernote accounts on our work machines. I would like to have the option to require a password/pin when attempting to restore Evernote from the taskbar.

Currently, I have to sign out every time I leave. We keep personal information in our Evernote accounts and I am always leary about somebody remoting in to do maintenance at night, getting nosy, and checking out what notes I have.

I know the Android version has the option to require a PIN#, but I don't think that would carry over to the PC app. Either way, I don't want to pay extra for account security.

Thank you!

Ixath

There are a few options.

1. Don't put personal information on a work computer.

2. Use the web version.

3. Put your Evernote database in a Truecrypt container & dismount the container when you leave.

This response is far from satisfactory!

This is either the casual or the irony ...

Such a - basic - function is it so complicated to develop?

Thanks for the response BurgersNFries, but I agree with JYB72. I'm aware that I could use an external solution but the whole point of my posting is that I'd like the feature to be built into Evernote.

Your Evernote database is not encrypted unless you put it into something like a Truecrypt container - please search the board for more info, should you need it. A PIN will only keep the casual user out. All options I presented are viable/satisfactory. Just because you do not like them doesn't mean they are not satisfactory. You say it shouldn't be hard for the devs to put a PIN on it. But its not hard at all for you to use your own PIN software such as Game Protector... (shrug)

I guess this becomes even more of an issue with the business edition. As we are encouraged to link our personal account with the business acc.

Some of these issues come about because the Windows client will download all your notes, it can't work in online mode like iOS.

I think this needs thinking through more thoroughly now EN is officially being promoted to the business community!

This info is from the new EN Business FAQ

"Do I need to create a new account or can I keep my existing Evernote account?

While you may create a second Evernote account, we strongly recommend that users with an existing Evernote account use it to join their company's Evernote Business account. Doing so will ensure that you receive all the benefits of Evernote Business Premium, which includes an increased monthly upload allowance, access to Offline Notebooks, PDF search and more. All of your Personal Notebooks and Personal Notes will remain completely separate from your Business Notebooks and Business Notes. No one, not even your company's Evernote Business Admin, will have access to or control over any of your Personal Notebooks and notes, and you can keep them even if you later leave the business. Using your existing Evernote account is also more convenient, as you will not need to manually switch between two separate accounts."

Not sure this bit is entirely true? 'No one, not even your company's Evernote Business Admin, will have access to or control over any of your Personal Notebooks and notes'

• 2 years later...

This response is far from satisfactory!

This is either the casual or the irony ...

Such a - basic - function is it so complicated to develop?

Thanks for the response BurgersNFries, but I agree with JYB72. I'm aware that I could use an external solution but the whole point of my posting is that I'd like the feature to be built into Evernote.

Your Evernote database is not encrypted unless you put it into something like a Truecrypt container - please search the board for more info, should you need it. A PIN will only keep the casual user out. All options I presented are viable/satisfactory. Just because you do not like them doesn't mean they are not satisfactory. You say it shouldn't be hard for the devs to put a PIN on it. But its not hard at all for you to use your own PIN software such as Game Protector... (shrug)

As a moderator, I would think you would not show an attitude like a common troll.  This setting was on the original desktop version I installed.  So what if it only keeps the casual user out - that's better than nothing.  As it is I live in fear of my computer being stolen.  Even on a reboot, Evernote opens without a password.  All we are asking is to put back what you once had. As far as the web version, it does the same.  Once I log in, even if I close the browser, it still opens without a password.  So what have you gained with the web version?

• Level 5*

As a moderator, I would think you would not show an attitude like a common troll.  This setting was on the original desktop version I installed.  So what if it only keeps the casual user out - that's better than nothing.  As it is I live in fear of my computer being stolen.  Even on a reboot, Evernote opens without a password.  All we are asking is to put back what you once had. As far as the web version, it does the same.  Once I log in, even if I close the browser, it still opens without a password.  So what have you gained with the web version?

BurgersNFries gave out good information, particularly considering that she's responding as a fellow user and not an Evernote employee (i.e., someone who can't change Evernote's policy, design or implementation). That's in no way troll-like behavior.

What you've asked for seems somewhat different than what the original poster asked for. You can log out of the Windows Evernote client, and it will require you to log back in with your password before you can access your notes again.

BurgersNFries gave out good information, particularly considering that she's responding as a fellow user and not an Evernote employee (i.e., someone who can't change Evernote's policy, design or implementation). That's in no way troll-like behavior.

What you've asked for seems somewhat different than what the original poster asked for. You can log out of the Windows Evernote client, and it will require you to log back in with your password before you can access your notes again.

The point is, the old version had a setting so that I did not have to log out for Evernote to ask for a password when the program was restarted.  In my normal day of computing at home, I refer to Evernote about 25 times per day.  If I have to log out every time I leave the house, in case my computer is stolen while I am away from home, it becomes tedious and prone to not getting done.  If someone steals my computer, they would have to pull the power cord.  So when they booted it up later, Evernote would require a password on start up with the old version even if I had not logged out.  With the new version it does not require a password.  That's the whole point.  If there is some lofty reason for pulling this setting from the new versions - what is it.  I suspect it is just sloppy programming...

The point is, the old version had a setting so that I did not have to log out for Evernote to ask for a password when the program was restarted.  In my normal day of computing at home, I refer to Evernote about 25 times per day.  If I have to log out every time I leave the house, in case my computer is stolen while I am away from home, it becomes tedious and prone to not getting done.  If someone steals my computer, they would have to pull the power cord.  So when they booted it up later, Evernote would require a password on start up with the old version even if I had not logged out.  With the new version it does not require a password.  That's the whole point.  If there is some lofty reason for pulling this setting from the new versions - what is it.  I suspect it is just sloppy programming...

Concern about someone stealing your computer is not the same as a "casual user" who is more like a guest in your home.

Your options have already been pointed out or linked to in this thread for both keeping a casual user out as well as concern about theft. The fact that you dislike the answers you get is unfortunate but not any of my concern. If you find it too tedious to secure your computer, in the event of theft would indicate it's not really that important to you. Or else simply don't keep important stuff on your computer. (shrug)

Concern about someone stealing your computer is not the same as a "casual user" who is more like a guest in your home.

Your options have already been pointed out or linked to in this thread for both keeping a casual user out as well as concern about theft. The fact that you dislike the answers you get is unfortunate but not any of my concern. If you find it too tedious to secure your computer, in the event of theft would indicate it's not really that important to you. Or else simply don't keep important stuff on your computer. (shrug)

Your shoulders must be be really sore from all the shrugging. 

"If you find it too tedious to secure your computer, in the event of theft would indicate it's not really that important to you."  Oh really.  The reason I am concerned about physical theft is that everything in Evernote is EXTREMELY important to me.  I have all my passwords, account numbers, credit account numbers, social security numbers, and on and on.

1. Don't put personal information on a work computer.---It is NOT my work computer

2. Use the web version.---The option I will use, but it is slow and clunky. 

3. Put your Evernote database in a Truecrypt container & dismount the container when you leave.-- You must be kidding.  So this is easier than just closing the Program.

Your options have already been pointed out or linked to in this thread for both keeping a casual user out as well as concern about theft. The fact that you dislike the answers you get is unfortunate but not any of my concern.  I don't need your concern. I need someone at this company to tell me why you took this option out of the desktop software. And can the attitude please.  I PAY for this service.

I need someone at this company to tell me why you took this option out of the desktop software. And can the attitude please.  I PAY for this service.

I didn't do anything.  As Jeff already pointed out to you, I do not work for Evernote & never have.  I used to be a user, just like you (I have since abandoned EN in favor of Onenote.)  And yes, IMO, if it's not important enough for you to learn how to secure your computer against a thief getting to your data, then yes, I feel it's either not really all that important to you or else you should not have the information on your computer b/c simply having a PIN on the Evernote app does not prevent anyone with a leeeeetle bit of computer knowledge from opening the MySql file on your hard drive that is your Evernote database. 

Good luck.

I need someone at this company to tell me why you took this option out of the desktop software. And can the attitude please.  I PAY for this service.

I didn't do anything.  As Jeff already pointed out to you, I do not work for Evernote & never have.  I used to be a user, just like you (I have since abandoned EN in favor of Onenote.)  And yes, IMO, if it's not important enough for you to learn how to secure your computer against a thief getting to your data, then yes, I feel it's either not really all that important to you or else you should not have the information on your computer b/c simply having a PIN on the Evernote app does not prevent anyone with a leeeeetle bit of computer knowledge from opening the MySql file on your hard drive that is your Evernote database. 

Good luck.

What YOU did was display attitude and disrespect.  I was just trying to get a simple answer to a simple question -  why was the feature pulled from the software.  That's all.  I don't need a psychoanalysis.

Good Night.

• 1 year later...

Fully with you on this hpilot.

This is a basic feature which should naturally be a part of Evernote's featureset. I am a software engineer, so I have no problems using one of the suggested solutions, but it should be unnecessary.

Evernote has allready provided the possibility to encrypt text passages, so it's clear that the need for protecting data i allready on the radar.

For me, as a consultant, I often work on equipment owned by my employers. Oftentimes, I'm not even allowed to install something like disk encryption. The web version is an option of course, but the experience is not comparable.

I cannot understand why a friendly request for highly relevant functionality cannot be answered in a friendly manner.

Archived