(Archived) Edit photos in Evernote desktop?

houstonspace

I seem to have a lot of trouble with editing photos in Evernote. I want to open a photo, crop it, and resize it. I have Irfanview, which I can open the picture with, but when I go to save it, it wants me to put it into a folder. Is there a free program that will edit Evernote photos, then save back to the note itself?

As an aside, I think it would be nice for EN to have a more robust photo editor built in to the desktop version of Evernote - maybe Skitch for PC or something.

• Level 5*

Most image editors should work with Evernote; I've used Paint.Net and a couple of others. The image is written out to a temporary location, and that's handed off to the image editor. When you're done editing, you should be able to save, and Evernote will notice and pick it up.

Skitch for Windows is already available: http://blog.evernote.com/2012/10/25/evernote-for-windows-desktop-updated-with-skitch-integration-and-improved-sharing/. Also check the Skitch forum.

• 4 months later...

Does this method work for you for cropping an image with the Windows Desktop version? Whenever I crop an image (either using another Windows program or in the Android client using Skitch), the result displays correctly in iOS and Android, but both the Web version and the Windows Desktop version (frequently, but not always) seem to preserve the original aspect ratio of the image. So if I take an image that's 1,000 pixels long and crop it down to 500 pixels long, what I get on the screen is the newly cropped image stretched out to its old height proportion. Has anyone had this problem or found a workaround for it? (Note: when I *open* the new image in a program, it is displayed correctly; it is only in Evernote that the display is wrong.)

Does this method work for you for cropping an image with the Windows Desktop version? Whenever I crop an image (either using another Windows program or in the Android client using Skitch), the result displays correctly in iOS and Android, but both the Web version and the Windows Desktop version (frequently, but not always) seem to preserve the original aspect ratio of the image. So if I take an image that's 1,000 pixels long and crop it down to 500 pixels long, what I get on the screen is the newly cropped image stretched out to its old height proportion. Has anyone had this problem or found a workaround for it? (Note: when I *open* the new image in a program, it is displayed correctly; it is only in Evernote that the display is wrong.)

Rotating (unless you're talking a square image) & cropping do this.   Evernote uses enml, which is similar to html.  So the display info for an image in the enml remains the same.  You can either change this info using a third party enml editor or save the modified file to your hard drive, delete the original from the note & add in the newly modified file from the hard drive. 

WRT rotating non square images...just use the rotate command from within Evernote.

• Level 5*

I think that what may be going on is that the image is getting cropped correctly, but the ENML tags describing the attributes of the dimensions (i,e,. "en-media" which has "width" and "height" attributes) are not modified, so that the images is displayed stretched. I was able to reproduce the effect, with a little effort. I would open a support request for this.

Thank you both! I was afraid it was a software limitation that would require a workaround as suggested. But also glad to hear it may be a worthwhile request to see if those tags couldn't be automatically updated. It has become such a simple process otherwise, especially with Skitch integration. Thanks again.

• 10 months later...

Well, some years after the first request we now have: Still the same problems + an additional software named skitch. Problem is: It is already quite painful to get evernote to open skitch upon double click of the picture. Once you manage to do so, skitch will open an you can edit the photo. However, there is no way apparently to get the edited photo back into the note it came from. Instead, everytime I save the pic in skitch, a new note is created. Simple things like crop and resize of a pic are still impossible within the app or in the web interface of evernote. Somehow sucks for a software that wanted to "remember everything" - just not the size I would like to remember it... too bad I paid premium for this.

Archived