(Archived) Can't get Evernote to search OCR'd PDF

audiologic

Idea

I imported 3 pdfs that were scanned and OCR'd by Adobe Acrobat Pro.

when I search for text in evernote, it does not search the pdf's.

However, from inside of evernote, if a highlight the text in the pdf, i can copy and paste it to another app.

So i know for sure that the text is embedded in the PDF, and that the words I am searching for are present.

What's going on with this? I understand that evernote can't currently anylize characters in a pdf, but one that has already been OCR'd and embedded with text has GOT to be searchable.... what am i doing wrong?

8 replies to this idea

However, from inside of evernote, if a highlight the text in the pdf, i can copy and paste it to another app.

So i know for sure that the text is embedded in the PDF, and that the words I am searching for are present.

What's going on with this? I understand that evernote can't currently anylize characters in a pdf, but one that has already been OCR'd and embedded with text has GOT to be searchable.... what am i doing wrong?

Sounds like you're not doing anything wrong, but may be a bug in the Evernote Mac client. If you have a sample of one of these PDFs that you wouldn't mind sharing with us privately so we can try to reproduce the problem that would be great!

Sounds like you're not doing anything wrong, but may be a bug in the Evernote Mac client. If you have a sample of one of these PDFs that you wouldn't mind sharing with us privately so we can try to reproduce the problem that would be great!

Thanks,

Which email address should I email the pdf to?

Also, the only copy I currently have is inside of evernote. Should I export the whole note and send to you, or just a copy of the pdf?

Thanks again.

Ted -

Evernote does not process images that are contained within PDF documents. If your PDF also contains the text form of the image (e.g. if your scanner did its own OCR), we will search that text, but we won't do our own image processing on images within PDFs.

Thanks

We would like to implement this, but we've found it's a bit more work than we initially expected. The PDF format can contain a wide variety of different image formats, including ones we don't currently support, and we've found PDF documents in Evernote that contain hundreds of different images (e.g. textbooks uploaded). This makes it a little more complicated than just processing a single JPEG file.

Again, this is definitely something we'd like to do, but there's more work involved than we expected.

Thanks

I know this is an old thread, but I too cannot search inside of a PDF that has already had OCR done.

In this case I downloaded Evernote's User Guide PDF and put it into Evernote. I clicked Sync (just in case) and the PDF is not searchable, even though I can highlight and copy text from the PDF. I have also OCR'd my own scans and they too are not searchable in Evernote.

Archived