Printing problems: font size, italics, and underlining

Hi,

Problems when printing:

1) Italics

When printing words in italic, it skips out parts of the letters, making it almost illegible.

2) Underlining

The underline, rather than being actually UNDER the word, goes right through the middle.

3) Font size

Despite printing on the tiniest fonts (I.e. 8 or 10) it actually prints MUCH larger - equivilent to size 18 or 20 on Word.

Please help, this is really annoying. Not to do with my printer; I don't have these problems on other programs etc. Also the same things show up on print preview! Please see attached file

Thanks

post-114525-0-20733700-1354662133_thumb.

• Level 5*

1) This is a user forum.

2) People will answer if they have solutions.

3) Have either of you opened a support request?

4) Settle down, caveatrob.

For the record, I do see a problem with the placement of the underline; seems worse with larger fonts (small sample size, though). Haven't seen the problems with italics, though. No solutions, though.

• 4 months later...

Cross posting here because it identifies a trouble ticket

Using Evernote 4.6.5.8200 (268708), but this has persisted for two years on all versions.

System: Windows 7 SP1 32-bit

Printers: FinePrint, PDF (Xchange, foxit), Brother laser, any printer

After a lot of experimenting with the note text in the attr table of the Evernote main database on my PC (Win 7 32bit), I've confirmed by creating a new note and underlining text that any sort of printing causes the underlined text to be printed as though it were strikethrough.

I've tried PDF printer drivers, multiple PC's, multiple OS's (XP, Vista, Win 7 32, Win 7 64)

Based on the analysis I did, I have to conclude it's a print rendering issue in Evernote and how it renders <u> and text-decoration:underline elements.

Analysis:

I opened up the note xml and saw the underline formatted as <u>text to be underlined</u>

I duplicated that line of text and did a <span style='text-decoration:underline'>text to be underlined</span>

Opening the note in Evernote showed underline on both lines of text; printing showed the strikethrough on both.

For fun, I tried entering a <style>U {text-decoration:none;color:#cc0000;}</style> tag just below the <en-note> element. Opening the note showed the text that was underlined with a <U> tag with no underline, and red text, which printed as red text.

However, saving that note removed the <style></style> tags. I was hoping to be able to iterate the database and add those <style> tags in each note.

The only way I see now to make it print without the strikethrough is to go through the database and search out <U> tags and add a <span style='[alternate style definition'>text to underline</span> wrap to redefine underline to show something else, like bolding. There is no way to make it underline properly with Evernote when printing

I've tried PDF printer drivers, multiple PC's, multiple OS's (XP, Vista, Win 7 32, Win 7 64)

So I have to conclude it's a print rendering issue in Evernote and how it renders <u> and text-decoration:underline elements.

My note's XML, for reference:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><!DOCTYPE en-note SYSTEM "http://xml.evernote.com/pub/enml2.dtd"><en-note style="word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;"><style>U {text-decoration:none;font-weight:bold;}</style>Rob Note Text 2013-04-18<div><u>This is underlined text</u><br/></div><div><span style='text-decoration:underline'>This is underlined text css span</span></div><div><br/></div><div><p style='text-decoration:underline'>This is underlined text css p</p></div><div><br/></div><div style='text-decoration:underline'>This is underlined text css div</div><div><br/></div><div><p class='ulfix'>This is underlined text css p with class</p></div><div><br/></div><div><b>This is bold text</b></div><div><br/></div></en-note>

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

+1. This problem is not asking for yellow highlighter or more advanced editor features (which I would welcome). This is pretty basic stuff, which I am not sure is dealt with  :(

I have to print a lot of notes for my classes and some of them look really messed up. Aside from the fact that EN windows still cannot print a selected page of a note, whatever it prints is not always decent-looking or readable. Please, please fix this bug

+1. This problem is not asking for yellow highlighter or more advanced editor features (which I would welcome). This is pretty basic stuff, which I am not sure is dealt with  :(

I have to print a lot of notes for my classes and some of them look really messed up. Aside from the fact that EN windows still cannot print a selected page of a note, whatever it prints is not always decent-looking or readable. Please, please fix this bug

...and the problem is still there in the EN5 beta.

Of course, I haven't heard anything yet. As a programmer, I made a small effort (shown above) to find a workaround or a way to reformat text for printing, but i'm pretty much cutting and pasting into Word.

I suppose I could get a reference to the note and dig into the database and render out what's there in a different program. Maybe do a pandoc or openxml conversion into Word or another form. But that starts to get very time consuming and with a new baby coming, I have to stick primarily to money-making efforts!!

• 1 month later...

Still an issue with version 5.0.2 - this is getting laughable...

Printing is basically a joke - here are the steps I have to do to print out a note from evernote:

1. Edit - Select All
  2. Edit - Copy
  3. Open Word
  4. Paste
  5. Edit - Select All
  6. Change font size from 13.5 to 10pt
  7. Fix up other formatting errors
  8. Finally print from Word
  • 3 months later...

Same problem with underlines printing as strikethroughs - makes it illegible.

This is the single problem I have with Evernote - love Evernote in every other way!

The problem is an ongoing frustration bc it seems like an easy fix and is a daily annoyance.

I just recently adopted Evernote, slick idea.  But I noticed this problem (truncated chars in italics, underline as strike-thru) in printing to both paper and PDF Creator.   Seems pretty weird that this app is the only one that does this, and for such basic formatting attributes.  Good thing I haven't paid Premium.   Seriously, what's the ETA on a fix, since there doesn't appear to be a user-based workaround (other than just using plain unformatted text).

P.S.  I noticed one of my notes, the last italicized paragraph printed fine, but those appearing elsewhere in the note got that choppy character appearance.

version 5.1.0.2217 on Win7

Let's think about this.  It is a definite frustration for users, but only for those who print their documents.  Perhaps Evernote has made a strategic decision to protect their niche of document storage and management and does not want to revert to merely an old obsolete word processor-printer program.

Just fascinating to me it can't be fixed... or they have decided fixing it would hurt their long-term business goals.

I could understand it if it were strategic planning rather than just poor customer service or incompetent programmers.  My experience is that Evernote is strong on Customer service and likely has geniuses running their programs behind the scenes.  So maybe it's long-term business plan, and most successful companies do well in that arena.

LJH

Let's think about this.  It is a definite frustration for users, but only for those who print their documents.  Perhaps Evernote has made a strategic decision to protect their niche of document storage and management and does not want to revert to merely an old obsolete word processor-printer program.

Just fascinating to me it can't be fixed... or they have decided fixing it would hurt their long-term business goals.

I reckon it's more likely that for the development teams, fixing bugs is not very sexy compared to redesigning the UI or adding new features that nobody has asked for.

I rarely print any EN notes on paper, but I very often print to PDF to send to colleagues, and the poor rendering of text is really frustrating.

I rarely print any EN notes on paper, but I very often print to PDF to send to colleagues, and the poor rendering of text is really frustrating.

Not only that, your colleagues are probably rather unimpressed with Evernote's crappy print rendering...

Not really good PR, or a great way to gain users/customers by word-of-mouth.

Unbelievable they let this stand (but as you said, bug-fixing isn't fun or sexy).

P.S.  Yeah, it was I who posted a link to this thread on their FB feed. :D

"I reckon it's more likely that for the development teams, fixing bugs is not very sexy compared to redesigning the UI or adding new features that nobody has asked for."

I agree. The boss at the top should make fixing this bug super sexy by tagging a bonus to it that slowly tapers down to zero as time passes, then should start taking away perks until it's solved. Maybe no more Starbucks until it's solved! (Just joking of course but makes one wonder). That would work in my office!! =)

• 5 months later...

FYI, printing from the web version seems to work fine.  I know that's not a perfect solution, and that printing from the Windows application needs to be fixed.  But it may provide a better solution than emailing it to yourself and then printing, as others have suggested.

• 4 weeks later...

That this is still a bug is super annoying.

Get this fixed!

It's not that I print a lot but there are occasions when going into meetings when I want to share my notes....and going to the website just to print...sucks!

• 3 weeks later...

If the sheer volume of postings helps to move Development, then I'll be glad to add my voice to the frustration. I just printed a note that is a "masterlist" of links to other notes (which means all of the links are underlined). I needed the list printed as a reference. The result is the same frustrating printout that everyone is complaining about: strike-throughs and large fonts. Please fix.

Problems with printing a note to PDF remain
version 5.5.2.4187 GA

At least three things:

• All underlining fails
  • Bottom line of table is incomplete if there is text in the bottom cell
  • Funny blocking effect on line spacing

Lousy formatting document attached

-Derek

Talk Notes.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

I remain surprised at this.  No response to my question in 2 weeks.  (yes I know we are all volunteers here, and that this thread is over a year old, and the one person's critical needs are another persons irrelevant)  

I wonder what the issues are preventing the 150+ Evernote engineers from making a fix?

"Today, there are 164 engineers and designers working at Evernote. About 150 of them are currently assigned to our core software products. The total number will increase quite a bit in 2014, but the proportion will stay the same: over 90% of our resources will go towards improving our core experiences." (from http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2014/01/04/on-software-quality/)

Does Evernote just think we should not ever be printing?  Do they have a problem coding this?  Are they more interested in getting the other sophisticated things working right first?  Is it a windows thing?

I thought I had found the answer to my basic wish in presentations:

1. type/create a nice document
  2. use presentation mode to show it
  3. print it out as my notes.  

4. Benefits
    1. Takes 1/4 the time of other presentations (PowerPoint, Keynote, Prezi)  !!
    2. One click to 'show'
    3. Don't have to use PowerPoint

Not yet.

I am interested in this post: http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2014/07/29/publish-books-instantly-evernote/  Why fix printing when you have partners helping sort it out?

And this: http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2014/08/01/evernote-digest-publishing-matters/

Or is there a hack to fix this?  Or is there something wrong that we all are doing to doom any printing efforts?

With regards,

-Derek

I wouldn't say no-one is interested. Just that it's likely as there are so many other threads already discussing feature requests and bugs for both the Presentation mode and printing, that no-one has felt the need to comment on your post. The issues you bring up are also noted by other other users in other threads and since Evernote does read all the forum posts - though seldom participate - it's safe to assume they are aware of these issues.

Now when, or if, EN will address them, is anyone's guess.

I remain surprised at this. No response to my question in 2 weeks. (yes I know we are all volunteers here, and that this thread is over a year old, and the one person's critical needs are another persons irrelevant)

I wonder what the issues are preventing the 150+ Evernote engineers from making a fix?

"Today, there are 164 engineers and designers working at Evernote. About 150 of them are currently assigned to our core software products. The total number will increase quite a bit in 2014, but the proportion will stay the same: over 90% of our resources will go towards improving our core experiences." (from http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2014/01/04/on-software-quality/)

Does Evernote just think we should not ever be printing? Do they have a problem coding this? Are they more interested in getting the other sophisticated things working right first? Is it a windows thing?

I thought I had found the answer to my basic wish in presentations:

• type/create a nice document
  • use presentation mode to show it
  • print it out as my notes.

• Benefits
  • Takes 1/4 the time of other presentations (PowerPoint, Keynote, Prezi) !!
  • One click to 'show'
  • Don't have to use PowerPoint
Not yet.

I am interested in this post: http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2014/07/29/publish-books-instantly-evernote/ Why fix printing when you have partners helping sort it out?

And this: http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2014/08/01/evernote-digest-publishing-matters/

Or is there a hack to fix this? Or is there something wrong that we all are doing to doom any printing efforts?

With regards,

-Derek

Thanks WordsGood.  What's an Illustrious?

Re EN response, yes I get the message.

You are right of course: there are a lot of threads, including this one:

1. https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/32377-printing-problems-font-size-italics-and-underlining/  - printing-problems-font-size-italics-and-underlining
  2. https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/43795-evernote-printing/  - evernote-printing
  3. https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/30680-underlined-text-prints-with-line-going-through-text/  - underlined-text-prints-with-line-going-through-text
  4. https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/37648-print-font-problems-evernote-for-windows-7/  - print-font-problems-evernote-for-windows-7
  5. https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/25799-do-you-ever-print-your-notes/  - do-you-ever-print-your-notes
  6. https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/14418-print-features-still-lacking-in-latest-41-build/  - print-features-still-lacking-in-latest-41-build

These are just the windows ones I found with a few quick search, ignoring any android and Mac.

I was originally looking for a hack, something I was doing wrong etc, but it seems that this is true:

Printing does not work well in EN.  The only solution is cut and paste into your favourite wordprocessor.

-Derek

Your welcome, Derek.

If it's any comfort, there are a whole lot of us that badly want a much better and consistent across clients, text editor. I'm also one of those who would love to be able to properly print directly from Evernote. Sigh. Maybe one day...

Oh, and no, nothing really illustrious involved in my username. I love language. I suck at parsing my words and being consice was never my forte. My house looks like a bookstore. (Well, if you ignore the mess and my husband's Star Wars collection that keeps overflowing his man cave, it does...

The clipping problem, where italic text is clipped, or a table border or image close to some text is clipped is due to EN putting a white box behind every single character, and each of these boxes is higher in the stack than the preceding character and therefore displayed over it.

I'd illustrate this with an image but I can't work out how I'm supposed to add image files in forum posts.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I ought to report the clipped character printing bug, so I opened a ticket with Evernote.

The support person was able to reproduce it and has logged it as a bug. He wouldn't provide me with a bug ID but I got the impression it was news to EN even though it's been reported via the ticketing system several times before.

As it hasn't had any attention in at least two years I don't suppose much will happen now, but you never know.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

+1

I've been using Evernote for quite awhile now.  I am in it all day every day.  I've decided to start putting some client deliverables in Evernote, but, printing is going to be an issue.  Hoping for a fix soon.  :-)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Level 5

I just printed a Note from the Windows Desktop (Ver 5.8.4.6870) and the lines are finally gone and the Note looks much better - Except: The Title is not printing!

Note titles should still print fine, as long as you haven't disabled printing them. You can check this by bringing up the Evernote print dialog, clicking the "Options..." button, and verifying that the "Note title" option is checked.

It's also possible that there could be something off with the note HTML if this is a clipped note, in which case Ctrl+Space to simplify the note content could help. But if this is happening with all of your notes, I think maybe the "Note title" option above somehow got toggled.

Yes, the "Options" were changed to not print the title. I am happy to inform all that have been following this thread for years that the printing issue of underlines has been corrected!

Thank you Evernote.

Sorry to disagree, but I just tried it on Windows Desktop (Ver 5.8.4.6870) ....

Underline does not render the underline, italics truncate individual characters, and strikeout is too high.

Attached is a PDF, which looks exactly the same as it renders on paper.

Evernote.pdf

As a test, try copying and pasting a note that doesn't print properly into the online TinyMCE editor: http://www.tinymce.com/tryit/full.php. If you can print it properly from there, then the problem is in Evernote's implmentation of TinyMCE (the source of its editor); if not, then the problem is with TinyMCE itself.

(Updated to add:  I believe it's only the Web version of Evernote that actually uses TinyMCE; the Windows version seems to have their own editor, apparently made in-house, and deficient in numerous ways.)

As a test, try copying and pasting a note that doesn't print properly into the online TinyMCE editor: http://www.tinymce.com/tryit/full.php. If you can print it properly from there, then the problem is in Evernote's implmentation of TinyMCE (the source of its editor); if not, then the problem is with TinyMCE itself.

Thanks for the tip.... it renders perfectly on TinyMCE editor demo. 

full.pdf

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Even now in Evernote version 6 (v6.0..6.1769(301769 public)) on Windows the printing issue exists. I especially am irritated about the italics that prints truncated. I used Tahoma or TimesNewRoman but doesn't make any difference. Only mono spaced fonts look ok.

1. Bold and normal face are NOT correctly aligned vertically for some fonts (times new roman)
  2. I also noticed some font truncation in REGULAR styling (see the m's in genome and assembler) (tahoma font) (capital T in TimesNewRoman)

This is irrespective of printing to a pdf printer or our department printer. See example attached.

ENprinting error 2016-05-26_9-39-12.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5

I don't do much printing of notes, but I just checked this, printing to PDF via a program called pdfFactory, and I can confirm the problem. Italics are awful, and capital B and D as well as some small o's are truncated on the right. This is with EN Windows v. 6.1.2.2292 using Tahoma 10-point.

On 6/10/2016 at 5:08 PM, WeCanLearnAnything said:

Someone ought to time the gap between a bugs being reported and bugs being fixed.

This one clocks in at around 3.5 years now.  :(

There is no excuse for this. Not one new feature in the next update if a single bug older than two years has not been fixed!

Are you hearing me, Devs?

• 1 month later...

I just paid for two premium subscriptions for myself and my husband - not because I wanted to, mind you, but because I virtually had no choice, as most of our household and volunteer organization documents are in our EN accounts. I already had a few issues with EN, but decided to go all in.

Imagine my frustration and bitter disappointment when I tried to print out two notes this morning for a board meeting I have tonight. I was shocked at the absolutely dismal quality of the printout. Font so small it can't be read (despite being perfectly legible on-screen), text cut off at the bottom on the list of tags at the beginning of the note, wildly distorted printing of italics, and code quotes boxes don't actually print - just the code.

I paid for two Premium subscriptions and I am just aghast. Now I have to spend another 20 minutes or more to find a way to print this information for my board meeting - not everyone has a smartphone or tablet to share digital notes with! That's supposed to help me be more productive? I'm glad I decided to print them out this morning instead of ten minutes before the meeting.

What really burns me is that I've had to put my two toddlers off all morning in order to deal with this. THEY are the reason I was willing to shell out money we can ill afford... to increase my productivity and have more time for my family.

On 7/26/2016 at 11:01 AM, Seraphym said:

I just paid for two premium subscriptions for myself and my husband - not because I wanted to, mind you, but because I virtually had no choice, as most of our household and volunteer organization documents are in our EN accounts. I already had a few issues with EN, but decided to go all in.

Imagine my frustration and bitter disappointment when I tried to print out two notes this morning for a board meeting I have tonight. I was shocked at the absolutely dismal quality of the printout. Font so small it can't be read (despite being perfectly legible on-screen), text cut off at the bottom on the list of tags at the beginning of the note, wildly distorted printing of italics, and code quotes boxes don't actually print - just the code.

I paid for two Premium subscriptions and I am just aghast. Now I have to spend another 20 minutes or more to find a way to print this information for my board meeting - not everyone has a smartphone or tablet to share digital notes with! That's supposed to help me be more productive? I'm glad I decided to print them out this morning instead of ten minutes before the meeting.

What really burns me is that I've had to put my two toddlers off all morning in order to deal with this. THEY are the reason I was willing to shell out money we can ill afford... to increase my productivity and have more time for my family.

Sorry to hear about these absurd struggles.

Have you tried copy-pasting all the Evernote content into Google Docs, MS Word, Libre Office, etc and printing from there? That's the only way I know of to print Evernote content decently.

Also, given the age of this thread - and all the other complaints about Evernote's broken printing - I think we all, Evernote employees included, ought to assume that broken printing is a permanent aspect of Evernote and plan accordingly. That is, if you need to print a lot, choose MS One Note, Apple Notes, Google Drive, or just good old MS Word files and folders.

@WeCanLearnAnything, thanks so much for responding to this post!

For the board meeting the day I wrote that post, I did eventually have to just use MS Word. The whole note had to be reformatted as Evernote's tables apparently don't play well with MS Word tables, and the bulleting didn't port well, either.

These are probably very minor annoyances for most people. They were minor issues for me before I got as busy as I am today. Nowadays, using MS Word to design and write my notes and Evernote to archive them is a little redundant to me, so I will definitely need to find a workaround. I don't need to print often, and when I do they are relatively small documents. The rub is that when I do need to print something, it's time-sensitive.

Usually I would not have bothered to post on a dead thread. :) I agree with you that one should simply proceed to use EN as though it essentially has no print function. I think they should own up to it and disable the function altogether, but that's just my opinion. The reason I did post is that one, I wanted to gripe and two, I think that as long as EN insists this is a feature they support, they should have to hear about its shortcomings. :3333 :P

Thanks again for your reply, I appreciated it!

• 4 months later...

As of Version 6.4.2. (Win 10) this problem still persists. I tried to print a document to use for my sociology class. It's unusable. Considering that it's (a) basic functionality and (b) simply ignored, this sheds a pretty abysmal light on this product. I mean, it's marketed as a productivity tool. A productivity tool that can't print to PDF!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just bumping this up. Not really expecting anything to happen, or Evernote to care. 

I use Evernote for everything, and not being to print my notes without them looking like my printer had a stroke is really sad. I don't know what needs to happen for them to finally take this issue seriously. 

As a business/group admin bumped this post up at support again....

Since recently the images stopped printing as well :-( (windows7)

A workaround for printing seems to be to print from the webinterface (Chrome-windows) which renders at least the underline and images correctly. However italics does not show up at all...

1 hour ago, ALchEmiXt said:

As a business/group admin bumped this post up at support again....

Since recently the images stopped printing as well :-( (windows7)

A workaround for printing seems to be to print from the webinterface (Chrome-windows) which renders at least the underline and images correctly. However italics does not show up at all...

Might I suggest trying to print from your smartphone? Don't know about Android, but iPhone seems to print everything perfectly, so does macOS. It seems to be a Windows-specific issue. 

1 hour ago, SiGamma said:

Might I suggest trying to print from your smartphone? Don't know about Android, but iPhone seems to print everything perfectly, so does macOS. It seems to be a Windows-specific issue. 

Thanks. Didn't think about that... unfortunate the Android app has no printing or share to printer capabilities...

• Level 5
On 12/29/2016 at 5:50 AM, ALchEmiXt said:

Thanks. Didn't think about that... unfortunate the Android app has no printing or share to printer capabilities...

A problem often noted. In a recent thread, someone recommended this: https://pdfconvert.me/. I tried it, and while it's a kludge, it does create a PDF from an Evernote note and email it to you.

Archived