Rotate a scanned image.

Hi I just want to rotate a scanned image and can't do it.

I read the how to and it does note work with this file.

The image was scanned with an scansnap and converted into a two page .pdf

I tried opening the scanned file in Preview like the how to says but when you rotate the image the second page that was the right way up also rotates at the same time completely defeating the point of the exercise.

I then tried opening the file in it's default program Adobe Acrobat and you can then rotate either page as much as you like independently of each other "Great" but then the file does not recognise that it's been changed and therefore does not offer an option to save???

Therefore when I close the file and go back to evernote the pages are exactly the same way up "Different and wrong" as when I started.

This is such a basic need as approximately 30% of the scans that ScanSnap scan "even with the preferences set to rotate the right way up selected" come into Evernote the wrong way up.

Could some one tell me first of all an easy way to select a single page in series scanned images, as this is the first problem because evernote insists on treating scans as giant bits of text instead of images therefore making them extremely hard to select"

and secondly how to rotate said page quickly and easily, possibly with a keyboards shortcut that I don't know.

I have dozens of images brought into Evernote the wrong why up by ScanSnap or just simply put under the scanner the wrong way up.

This should be a simple one click operation but I can't find it.

Thank for your help.

Regards

Bill

• Level 5*

You should be able to correct page orientation in a PDF editor - you can't do it in the Evernote reader. I save my scans to folder and make this sort of change before syncing, otherwise you're using double the file size in uploads. I have Adobe Acrobat 9 (bundled with my ScanSnap) which allows me to select a page/ pages and rotate or crop as required.

Hi I can rotate any pages of course but not in a good usable workflow when you've got lots of work to do.

I can rotate any individual pages in Adobe Acrobat of course but that totally gets rid of the convenience of using Evernote.

Instead of just using scansnap the way it's used to work one trip job done I would have to:

Scan to a folder open the file in Adobe Acrobat find the page/pages I need to rotate, rotate them save the file, close the file, put the file by hand into Evernote.

That's approximately 6 steps every time I need to get scanned images into Evernote instead of 2 if this correction were implicated in Evernote:

1. Discover a scan the wrong way around in Evernote, it does happen.

2. Rotate it the right way.

3. Go to the next job and get more work done.

• Level 5*

My ScanSnap's pretty good at picking up page orientation - except for handwritten stuff; don;t know whether it's my handwriting or handwriting in general, but even pages that go in the right way up sometimes come out sideways. I do spot errors - when you're scanning to folder there's a small monitor window with a thumbnail of the page being processed - no error, no problem; I just add a detailed title and save the file for a batch move to my Import Folder later (I OCR in batch too..). If there is an error I can usually correct it quickly - while the next document is scanning I can be fixing this one. There is an overhead, obviously - but it's the only option currently available.

I'm not sure that Evernote will want to offer any more functionality in the PDF reader - apart from any technical considerations, what about other users who'd like editing or highlighting available? Once you start adding options it just gets more and more complex...

• 2 years later...

Never mind! Thanks, I got it.  You can also remove blank pages with bleed through that were scanned by the Duplex option.

Right click on document in Evernote and select "open with"  and then select "Preview".  Scroll to the page you want to edit.  Command L for turning left; Command R for turning right. Then just "Save" and it's fixed in Evernote.  wow!

Let me provide a little more clarity...

You have to make sure you have Adobe Acrobat installed (I have not tried the Adobe Reader). As Cack said, you can use the Open With and then chose Adobe Acrobat. Once in Adobe, the strange thing I noticed as that using the right mouse click, rotate would sometimes not work. However, I directly used THE KEYSTROKE Ctrl-Shift-R, the pop up would appear and I could choose the rotation there. The way you know it is going to permanently change the file rotation is that the Save icon in the menu bar will change from gray (not selectable) to multicolor (activated/selectable). Just select the Save icon and it will hold.

BTW, you can also use the add text feature if the scan has text that is not legible enough to be picked up by EN search feature. 

• 4 months later...

I'd like to give a +1 for the idea of being able to rotate images in evernote.  For some reason, my device (vzw gs4) can't use the document camera, and I need to use the native Android camera for images, and it sometimes rotates them when they upload.  It would be great to be able to correct the rotation within evernote, rather than downloading or retaking the picture to fix the rotation.

• Level 5*

There is a way to do this right in EN without all the gymnastics:

"Right click and open in Preview - rotate and then save. Close Preview, voila". - Kudo's Metrodon; from another post.

Works great

Just to clarify, Preview is a Mac app.  I don't know of any Windows equivalent.

But there are a number of PDF tools available for both Windows and Mac that will rotate pages as well as other tasks like annotations.

• 1 year later...

Hey Folks, 

Does anyone have an answer for PC users.  My "preview" is adobe reader.  Like Bsoan (below) you can open in Acrobat, but that defeats the purpose of Evernote ("all in one place.."  I can't believe we have to go out of evernote to edit the documents and then save as pdf in a windows file.  Seems like a severe oversite on Evernote's part.  

Is there an response directly from Evernote on this topic?

On 12/3/2012 at 6:30 AM, Bsoan said:

Hi I can rotate any pages of course but not in a good usable workflow when you've got lots of work to do.

I can rotate any individual pages in Adobe Acrobat of course but that totally gets rid of the convenience of using Evernote.

Instead of just using scansnap the way it's used to work one trip job done I would have to:

Scan to a folder open the file in Adobe Acrobat find the page/pages I need to rotate, rotate them save the file, close the file, put the file by hand into Evernote.

That's approximately 6 steps every time I need to get scanned images into Evernote instead of 2 if this correction were implicated in Evernote:

1. Discover a scan the wrong way around in Evernote, it does happen.

2. Rotate it the right way.

3. Go to the next job and get more work done.

• Level 5*

Hi. 

7 hours ago, talktotrey@gmail.com said:

Is there an response directly from Evernote on this topic?

I think the 'response' is the fact that exactly what you ask for is not possible (yet) in Evernote.  To what exactly would you like a response anyway?

My workflow is to scan to folder.  My Scansnap is set to automatically rotate pages,  so they're not exactly a frequent occurrence.  The results of my scan pop up in a Scansnap progress box to allow me to rename my scan from the auto-number that the SS provides.  Since I don't always scan on the day a document has been received I have a Phrase Express 'auto date' set up in my preferred format so I can re-title to the correct date with one keystroke combo and a bit of editing,  and add keywords as necessary.   I like having the auto-date provided by the scansnap as an extra,  and frequently different date from the source date of the document.

While doing all this I'll see if the document has been scanned in the wrong orientation.  I'll also have the 'scan to' folder open on my desktop,  so as soon as the Scansnap has finished with the file I can open it again in Adobe,  remove or rotate any incorrect pages,  and re-save.  Then on to the next document.

When I've finished all the documents in my queue,  I'll open Adobe again,  batch OCR the whole folder (scans go much quicker if that's all they are) and then put all the files into my Evernote import folder to 'drop' into Evernote while I do something else.

Sounds a lot more complicated than it is,  and it's a reasonably smooth process.  Since Evernote don't get to see the file until after it has been scanned I don't quite see how being able to rotate a page in an image in the app itself would help me.

On the bright side,  Evernote itself now has the ability to rotate images. - Hover over the image,  look for the 'rotation' arrow and knock yourself out.  :)

Archived