(Archived) Replacing rather than duplicating a monitored file?

OK here's one for you all...

My Evernote is set to sync with one of my Dropbox folders, so every time I update or add a file to that Dropbox folder, Evernote accordingly creates a new note.

I have one file in that Dropbox folder which I update very often (it's a PDF that I hand-annotate using my Galaxy Note). Now every time I add an annotation to this PDF, EN creates a new note. This means I build up in my EN notebook a collection of versions of this particular file, when all I actually want is the latest version.

Is there any way for me to tell Evernote to "overwrite" this note every time I make a change to the original document, rather than spawn a collection of "versions"? And if not, can we have this option added please, devs?

Muchos gracias!

• Level 5*

My Evernote is set to sync with one of my Dropbox folders, so every time I update or add a file to that Dropbox folder, Evernote accordingly creates a new note.

I have one file in that Dropbox folder which I update very often (it's a PDF that I hand-annotate using my Galaxy Note). Now every time I add an annotation to this PDF, EN creates a new note. This means I build up in my EN notebook a collection of versions of this particular file, when all I actually want is the latest version.

Is there any way for me to tell Evernote to "overwrite" this note every time I make a change to the original document, rather than spawn a collection of "versions"? And if not, can we have this option added please, devs?

Muchos gracias!

Hi. There is no way to do this, but I like your system. Frankly, I don't see the point in changing what you have. Every time you modify the PDF, you have to upload the whole thing again, so it doesn't affect your upload allowance. New note or same note, it doesn't matter in this regard.

If you want the newest version, just sort by date created. If you make a change, but want to go back, you've got copies of all the old ones. That's pretty cool :)

Maybe the developers will follow your suggestion, but I've got to say that your system now sounds nice.

Muchos gracias!

Hi. There is no way to do this, but I like your system. Frankly, I don't see the point in changing what you have. Every time you modify the PDF, you have to upload the whole thing again, so it doesn't affect your upload allowance. New note or same note, it doesn't matter in this regard.

If you want the newest version, just sort by date created. If you make a change, but want to go back, you've got copies of all the old ones. That's pretty cool :)

Maybe the developers will follow your suggestion, but I've got to say that your system now sounds nice.

Damn - I thought that might be the case. I know that I use a little upload allowance every time I update this file, but it's only a small file and I don't think I'll be troubling my monthly limit any time soon. I know my setup functions well as it is, but I just want to optimise my workflow (I never thought I'd type that expression!) and make it as simple and neat as pen and paper. Galaxy Note + Evernote = scrawled handwritten notes that never get lost!

I could achieve what I want by cutting Evernote out of the system entirely (for this particular document) and simply access it via Dropbox instead, but Evernote's UI is so good, and I use it for so much else, that it has to be a part of this particular productivity solution. (Damn - I never thought I'd type that expression either!)

• Level 5*

GrumpyMonkey is right -- there's no way to do this given your chosen workflow. The import facility takes every new file as a new import, regardless of whether a file of that name has been imported before -- remember, these are attachments, and there's no guarantee that an two attachments with the same name are even related to each other.

Anyways, the standard Evernote way of doing this sort of thing is to edit the attachment by activating it from Evernote; the attachment should be saved to disk, where the editing program picks it up; you save the changes, and Evernote picks the changed document back up, in the original note. Of course, this may not match your workflow, in which GM's method applies.

Anyways, the standard Evernote way of doing this sort of thing is to edit the attachment by activating it from Evernote; the attachment should be saved to disk, where the editing program picks it up; you save the changes, and Evernote picks the changed document back up, in the original note. Of course, this may not match your workflow, in which GM's method applies.

Thanks. My workflow requires the Dropbox stage because, if I open the PDF on my phone from Evernote, (into EZ PDF Reader) I get a message saying "This document has been opened from DATA STREAM. Changes cannot be saved". However if I open it from Dropbox, I can edit and changes are automatically and instantly saved back to Dropbox. A clumsy workaround maybe, but it completely suits me (apart from the multiple EN notes it creates!)

Archived