(Archived) Data Corruption in Evernote with Terrible Support

ericlawyh

I would like to highlight a very serious data corruption issue occurred when syncing encrypted data between Evernote and Awesome Note.

Have emailed to both Evernote and Awesome Note support. In summary, the support I've received is as below:

1. Evernote was trying to blame Awesome Note
  2. No reply at all from Awesome Note
  3. Evernote has closed the case without providing any resolution

Click below picture to view the actual case being logged.

post-113669-0-28984200-1354119678_thumb.

Ticket #: 16051-174033

Date Created: 10/29/2012 10:01 PM PDT

Platform: Windows

Title: I am having display issues or problems with formatting

Details:

Scenarios:

1. I have encrypted some portion of several notes in Evernote which are currently in sync with Awesome Note.

2. IMHO, in order to ensure those encrypted text will not be accidentally modified by Awesome Note, I've set the Non Editable option for those particular notes in Awesome Note.

3. After performing the sync as usual, the encrypted text has appeared as random text characters in Evernote, which I suspect is due to the overwritten from Awesome Note.

Questions:

1. How can I recover the random text characters if I can remember the encryption password?

2. How can I prevent this issue from happening again?

1. Evernote has closed the case without providing any resolution

If EN does not receive any correspondence from you in two weeks, they auto close the ticket. This is a good policy for any CS desk to do, since it prevents there from being a gazillion open tickets where the user has not responded. IOW, if they don't hear from you for two weeks, they "assume" you've got the issue resolved. And be sure you replied to any emails they sent to you (IE check junk/spam folder.)

Personally, I would not sync any encrypted data between EN & any other app. IMO, that's a recipe for disaster, since the other app probably doesn't recognize it's encrypted & the characters may be deemed as unprintable/garbage.

Received the first reply from Evernote on 31st Oct 2012

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting Evernote Support.

Unfortunately the application you have inquired about is not created by Evernote.

Although you may have found the product in our Trunk, it is produced by another company. We have put a great deal of emphasis on making our API key available to developers around the world. We are delighted with the array of hardware and software that has been developed to work with Evernote. We do expect our partners to provide assistance with their products; however, we can only provide support for the products actually developed by Evernote. It is the responsibility of our partners to make their product work within the confines of our API. Please contact the maker of your product for technical assistance with their product. If you don’t get an acceptable response please let us know.

We appreciate your understanding,

Fernando

Received another reply from different support pertaining to a same issue on 8th Nov 2012.

Do they ever have some sort support ticket pick up system in place?

Dear Valued Customer,

I am sorry for any inconvenience.

This problem seems to be best suited for the Awesome Note customer support, which can be reached at

http://www.bridworks...pport/index.php

As much as I would love to be able to help, our specialty lies in Evernote related issues and so I can not correctly answer questions regarding Awesome Note issues.

I hope you get the issue sorted out!

Charlotte

Have emailed to Awesome Note support on 31st Oct 2012.

Dear Awesome Note Support,

With reference to correspondence with Evernote Support as below, I've encountered issue with random text characters for encrypted text after syncing with Evernote using Awesome Note.

The reproduce steps have been described as per below email correspondence.

Some the encrypted portion in Evernote is no longer useable, and cannot be decrypted with Evernote.

Please assist.

Thanks and Regards,

Eric

Since there is no reply at all from Awesome Note, have emailed another follow up on 5th Nov 2012 with CC to us-support@evernote.com.

Hi,

Is there any update on this?

Is this application bug or limitation?

Well, there is no reply at all from Awesome Note.

In summary, Awesome Note with awful support!

Received the subsequent replies from Evernote Support as follow:

10th Nov 2012.

Dear Valued Customer,

We want to let you know that we are looking into this issue, we will contact you back as soon as possible.

Thank you for your understanding.

Ian

Evernote Support

14th Nov 2012.

Dear Valued Customer,

I am very sorry you haven't been able to hear back from Awesome Note! Unfortunately, we have no access to their information or how they have used our API and so we are unable to provide any support on their product. I am sorry but there isn't anything we are able to do here with regard to this issue since it seems to be caused by Awesome Note.

Best,

Fiona

Evernote Support

Without receiving any resolution from either Evernote or Awesome Note, I have instead received the ticket closure email on 28th Nov 2012.

Dear Valued Customer,

It has been 2 weeks since our last interaction.

We are closing out this ticket. Any bugs or feature requests filed will continue to be worked on. You need do nothing further.

Should you need to contact us with additional information about this case, please open a new ticket at http://s.evernote.com/support and reference this ticket number in your comments.

Evernote Support

This is one of the issues you can run into when dealing with a third-party client. While applications are designed on our API (like AwesomeNote, NixNote, Clever, Note etc), they are not Evernote. We get tons of support requests every day for these third-party applications, but we are not them. We do realize that people are syncing their data *to* Evernote, and they feel that its Evernote's responsibility to fix their issue, but unfortunately, it's actually the burden of the developer of the client they are using.

Some of these third-party developers are one-man teams, who don't have the large support operations and resources that we have here. We make every attempt to get the developer to respond, but that's the best we can do. In some cases, after complaints such as these, we've actually removed applications from our Trunk because of the lack of developer support. That doesn't help the user in this kind of situation, but we truly aren't able to provide support for someone else's software - even though it is something that is built on our API.

(Emphasis mine)

Without receiving any resolution from either Evernote or Awesome Note, I have instead received the ticket closure email on 28th Nov 2012.

Dear Valued Customer,

It has been 2 weeks since our last interaction.

We are closing out this ticket. Any bugs or feature requests filed will continue to be worked on. You need do nothing further.

Should you need to contact us with additional information about this case, please open a new ticket at http://s.evernote.com/support and reference this ticket number in your comments.

Evernote Support

Like I said...

1. Evernote has closed the case without providing any resolution

If EN does not receive any correspondence from you in two weeks, they auto close the ticket. This is a good policy for any CS desk to do, since it prevents there from being a gazillion open tickets where the user has not responded. IOW, if they don't hear from you for two weeks, they "assume" you've got the issue resolved.

Archived