Issue with Line Spacing

If this has been covered elsewhere please accept my apologies - I couldnt find a reference to it when I searched, although I may have searched for the wrong thing.

When I copy and paste content from external devices, and also from content writen within evernote, the pasted content line-spacing seems to change from the standard 1 to 1.5. How can I stop this, its really annoying and totally uneccesary!

It happens often and is really annoying. I guess it is related to HtML rendering.

One way to reproduce the problem is to type something that iPad will render as hyperlink, like number and then copying it. In the following example copying and pasting the second line will result in changing the spacing (I guess because of wrapping it in <span> tag).

line 1

line 2 11:15

line 3

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem, and it's INCREDIBLY irritating!

Since there aren't any line spacing options in Evernote, this is impossible to fix within the note. I've tried copying the entire text of a note into Windows Notepad to strip the formatting, but Evernote still adds the strange 1.5 spacing in when I copy things back!

I think I found a solution, at least for the desktop, hoping it will translate to the iOS

I highlighted the entire page with all the wrong line spacing, centered it, bulleted it and then UN-bulleted it. Don't know if the centering was needed but I just happen to do that prior to creating the bulleted list.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

The problem here is that whenever you hit return, the evernote editor (which is not a textbox, but actually a div) closes the previous text block with a paragraph tag (</p>), then opens a new one (<p>). According to its formatting, it is set to 1.5 line spacing.

However, as a web developer I can remove the spacing by removing the enclosing <p> tags around the text blocks, then replace them with <br> tags. This is similar to when you type to the end of your line, then hit shift-return.

The highlight/center/bullet/unbullet sequence did not work for me. Instead, I did something much more complicated, which was to open Google Chrome and open a note in Evernote, paste my text, then right click on the text and select Inspect element. Then, I replaced enclosing <p> tags with a single <br> at the end of the text block, then clicked save. Very complicated, but it saved me from the other alternatives.

Evernote really needs to fix this, or at least provide a setting for single line spacing between paragraphs. They have total control over the enclosing div and should be able to provide the flexibility.

• 1 month later...

Just chatted to Evernote support (very helpful). They sent me this from the Knowledge Base. I didn't even know there was a Knowledge Base...

"Our text editor uses a kind of HTML language, and therefore it can get a bit "confused" if there is conflicting style information in a note.To get the best use out of the Evernote text editor, when pasting in content, the best way to do it is to "Paste Without Formatting", or, use the "Simplify Formatting" option after the fact.If you "Paste Without Formatting" (Shift+CMD+V in Mac) you'll be using the Evernote Editor, and all the "quirks" should disappear, as any underlying code that causes the extra linefeeds, etc, will be removed in the pasting.If you simply "paste" from another program, you're pasting in code from their client, that may be incompatible with ours, and it will cause the conflicts you're seeing.We've added the "Simplify Formatting" option, to convert notes completely to Evernote ENML format, which should fix the issues you're seeing with your notes.If you perform this and still see the problems, then it's an issue with our editor, and not the content you've pasted in.If your note doesn't contain any pasted data, and was written entirely within Evernote, try copying it to a new note, and using "paste without formatting", then try again, as there may have been some hidden code added at some point."

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

In iOS, as far as I know, there is no way to "paste without formatting." I don't know if Shift + Enter will work in iOS, but I guess it wouldn't hurt. It is one way to handle problems in the web browser.

The best solution I have found in iOS for content that is being copy/pasted is to use the "Simplify Formatting" and "Make Plain Text" options. In fact, the Plain Text has been incredibly useful, and if you do work a lot in plain text, then you'll definitely want to give this a try. It also has the wonderful effect of converting text from the default Arial font to the monospace Courier.

Unfortunately, col3.3's solution actually made my problem WORSE. Before about half my note had 1.5 spacing, and now the whole thing does. Also, this caused a few lines of my note to turn into an indented bulleted list, even after I clicked the "bullet" button again, and clickes "remove formatting".

psychedup74, your solution worked for me! This forum isn't just for iOS devices, I have the problem on Windows in Chrome. Hitting Shift+Ctrl does add a single-spaced line as I want!

Unfortunately, this still doesn't solve the problem that all my existing notes have a bunch of 1.5-spaced lines :(

• Level 5*

Unfortunately, col3.3's solution actually made my problem WORSE. Before about half my note had 1.5 spacing, and now the whole thing does. Also, this caused a few lines of my note to turn into an indented bulleted list, even after I clicked the "bullet" button again, and clickes "remove formatting".

psychedup74, your solution worked for me! This forum isn't just for iOS devices, I have the problem on Windows in Chrome. Hitting Shift+Ctrl does add a single-spaced line as I want!

Unfortunately, this still doesn't solve the problem that all my existing notes have a bunch of 1.5-spaced lines :(

Hi. Actually, this thread is located in the iOS forum (iPads, iPhones, and iPod Touches), so the options are quite limited.

It's good to know about options on all of the platforms, of course, but just in case an iOS user wanders across this thread and tries looking for all of these options on their device, I want to point this out.

I would like to make the line spacing in a note 1.5. Sometimes when I past it makes the line spacing so close that I can't read the words at all. I have very bad eyes and need to increase the size to a larger font. It is much easier to read if the line spacing is larger, but I have not found a way to change it. 

Evernote is a great program. I just wish it gave the user a little more control. 

• 4 months later...

Here's another easy little workaround: if you're having this issue while typing in text manually, try hitting [shift+Enter] instead of just [Enter]. That works for me.

I was so annoyed about extra large line-spaces when I hit enter, because finally text looks awful.

However with [shift+Enter] I am really happy.

• 9 months later...

I'm not sure if I have the same issue. With iOS line-spacing tends to go haywire after a sync, also the fonts can get a bit random. Most of a very long Note I've done under OSX in Georgia with pix [a mix of jpg and png] and the spacing is fine. 

When I open it in iOS *almost* all of it is in Arial or similar, even tho Georgia is part of the iOS character set. If I sync in iOS the spacing randomly goes to pot, but only after a CR, and at each sync there is a tendency for the single line space that became double to increase even further, again it is not consistent. On the web it displays much as in iOS.

More rarely, also in the link, carriage returns appear in the middle of a line, and if I paste sometimes text blocks transpose to the oddest places.

Follow this link if you can advise me to an image https://www.dropbox.com/s/hgoawbzjgniw2ih/Evernote%20OSX%20vs%20Chrome%20%5Band%20iOS%5D.jpg

Deeply frustrated, Colin

• 6 months later...

Not for me it has not!

In additon of late I am finding that sometimes when I make a CR [in iOS only] a moment later a second CR happens. If I do a single delete mostly it deletes both CRs, but sometimes only one.

Must be soluble?

C

Archived