(Archived) password protected excel files

Just uploaded Evernote to my IPhone5. The password protected Excel spreadsheet I'd like to open on the phone resides on my PC. I was told I could save it to Dropbox and when I tried to open it, Evernote would come to the rescue and allow me to open it. Didn't happen. Any other way of using Evernote to do the task?

• Level 5*

Hi - unless you have an app on your phone that will open Excel files, whether password protected or not, this is never going to work.

Evernote can't read the file format, and can't access an attachment in DropBox with a link created somewhere else. It might work if you save a working link from your phone to the file.

If you do have an app that will open Excel format files, try opening the DropBox file from that app. If you can make that work you might have a shot at opening a file attached to Evernote.

• Level 5*

The spreadsheet has nothing to do with Evernote unless you have it as an attachment to an Evernote note; i.e., Evernote is not going to open an Excel spreadsheet is it's in DropBox or anywhere else in your file system. Gazumped is correct; Evernote can't read the Excel format. What is does do is try to find a program that can handle that file type on the underlying OS -- if it does, then it saves the attachment somewhere, and hands it off to the handling program.

Archived