(Archived) Share Notebook With Private Group

I love the sharing feature of Evernote. I was thinking of doing an ebook for my next seminar entirely in Evernote and sharing the notebook with my participants. But I want to restrict the notebook only to the participants as they have paid to be there.

I looked at the sharing options and it offers a public link option or an email invite. If I invite someone by email, can they then share the link with others? It looks like it is just the same as a public link?

Any thoughts on sharing notebooks within a group that can't be publicly accessed?

I love the sharing feature of Evernote. I was thinking of doing an ebook for my next seminar entirely in Evernote and sharing the notebook with my participants. But I want to restrict the notebook only to the participants as they have paid to be there.

I looked at the sharing options and it offers a public link option or an email invite. If I invite someone by email, can they then share the link with others? It looks like it is just the same as a public link?

Any thoughts on sharing notebooks within a group that can't be publicly accessed?

The only way I know to do this is to share with specific Evernote users (so they would already need EN accs). You can then control read/write access and ability for them to share with others. And yes email sharing makes the note public.

Thanks Mike,

Not all the users would have EN accounts. I thought I was right that the note would be public if shared via email. I guess that others won't be able to find the note anyway on the Internet unless one of my students shares it with them or embeds a link to it.

• Level 5*

If you share a notebook, "free" account users will have read-only access, and free accounts are, well, free - so it doesn't seem a great hardship for someone to set up an Evernote account to see your shared note. If you share by email address, the claim is that access is limited to those with that address, so copying the link to someone else wouldn't work. You might want to test this to check it's still correct, but that's what I understand...

If you share a notebook, "free" account users will have read-only access, and free accounts are, well, free - so it doesn't seem a great hardship for someone to set up an Evernote account to see your shared note. If you share by email address, the claim is that access is limited to those with that address, so copying the link to someone else wouldn't work. You might want to test this to check it's still correct, but that's what I understand...

Sorry I was getting confused wih individual notes. If you share a notebook (rather than a note) via 'invite individuals' and the user hasn't got an EN account it will prompt them to create one.... Thus only the person in control of that email address will be able to access it. See sharing here- http://evernote.com/evernote/guide/windows/#7

• Level 5*

As I said before, we've been told, but I've never been motivated to test it as yet, that an invite to a guest email address is only accessible from that address. So if you invite 10 members of your group to read your material, one of them passing on the URL of the note to guest #11 won't give him/her access. That note stays 'private' to anyone apart from your guests, and can't be found randomly by searching. If you build a feedback system into your note so that someone who wants to invite another guest to read it can email you to request an invitation, you should be able to vet any new readers.

That's a pretty easy system to get around, if one of your invited guests has basic IT smarts - just get a screen grab of the note and send a picture to someone else to share the content. Evernote isn't designed to be a web page hosting system and does have some glaring open spaces for detailed sharing. It's entirely your decision: you could always start out sharing information this way and if you get enough interest (and some cash) from doing so, you could look into using some more secure software.

You can still keep your original pages in Evernote for reference purposes, you just need to copy and paste the contents into some other system to serve them securely to your customers.

• 6 months later...

I am a Real estate broker and I was putting a whole clients file in a notebook. I want to give them access to view it, however I have confidential information that can not get into the public hands or I am dead meat? Any way to set up private access with password protected to a notebook. If not. Consider that, love the app, but that would really help!

I am a Real estate broker and I was putting a whole clients file in a notebook. I want to give them access to view it, however I have confidential information that can not get into the public hands or I am dead meat? Any way to set up private access with password protected to a notebook. If not. Consider that, love the app, but that would really help!

Notebooks cannot be password protected or encrypted. EN allows you to encrypt text or you can use third party encryption for attachments. Please search the board on security and/or encryption for more info, should you need it. This has been discussed a lot already.

Archived