(Archived) Why must all links inside Evernote begin with "http" ?

MrTT

Idea

Hi people,

How come Evernote forces us to begin all links in the CMD+K popup with "http://" otherwise it will simply not add it as a link, as the "OK" button to insert the link never becomes active?

I don't understand why Evernote supports "notelinks" to allow other apps to link directly to Evernote notes, when Evernote itself doesn't allow linking out to other apps. One great example is linking to e-mail messages in Mail.app, like if you have a note and you want to link to a specific e-mail for more information, you can put a "message://" link on it, but no, Evernote doesn't allow it.

Can this please be fixed?

Thanks!

14 replies to this idea

Personally I'm a heavy user of the "message://" protocol that opens up Mail.app, in my normal GTD workflow (except Evernote of course, until it hopefully becomes supported in the future).

I can't really think of other protocols right now that might be useful to be honest, but what if you just allowed all links as long as they contain "://" somewhere, then you don't need to add new protocols here and there? Now I'm talking about the CMD+K popup, obviously you shouldn't automatic make links whenever something is copy/pasted that contains "://" into a note and that also wasn't what I was hoping to gain with getting "message://" protocol added, I don't mind using the CMD+K popup for that and just having http/ftp links become highlighted automatically as it is already.

What other protocols would you be interested in?

ftp

tel:// (a url for phone numbers)

aim: (instant messaging)

callto: (skype)

cvs: (software versioning)

svn: (the same but different protocol)

facetime: (videochat)

finger: not for *****

h323: voice and video chat

imap: like mail but for a direct access on a imap account

mailto:

Well, I think the list is long enough. :-)

To be honest: I think that Evernote is a kind of internet application. And for internet application there is a RFC which describes the concept of URIs: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986

So the trick won't be to support one or two more protocols but the 'Unified Resource Identifier' concept.

Kind Regards

PS: The stars after the term 'finger:' are interesting. What did I write original? :-)

This is the single biggest improvement you could make in the next version. Next week would be great!

For various reasons, I want to send my mail from Mail, not Evernote. For one, I have multiple from: addresses, and need to pick the appropriate one. Another reason is I may have modified the text that originally made the note from an email, but I need to respond with a different formulation. For example, where I have annotated the original with, "??? WTF ???", it would become "Could you please elaborate on ..." in my reply :)

The other thing is to extract the mail's id and construct the URL in a useful place. I would be satisfied with having it in the note's URL field, but I would be happier if it were a link near the email header inside the note.

Would it be okay to ask for an update to this feature request, now that it has been almost two months? :) All you need to do is just add a couple of more protocols before the "OK" button activates, and that's it.

This would be an excellent feature addition. Some, IMHO, esoteric protocols have been mentioned but the ones I would like to see priority given to would be:

email (mailto:)

callto: (Skype)

tel: (for a telephone number)

webcal: (for calendaring—is there a local-only variant?)

webdav: (file sharing)

It's now been 3 months and nobody at Evernote cares to update on this one?  I thought by the sound of Jackolicious's posts that it would be a possiblity at least, but nothing yet and no updates. 

It's very rare for Evernote to discuss forthcoming features or their roadmap.

Just because Jack said that he would look at it does not indicate whether or not a change is going to happen.

It would be nice if they at least could say if it's NOT going to happen, so I can start to see if there are useful alternatives to Evernote. It's a really important part of my workflow to be able to link to my emails, and it has bothered me a long time now.

It just doesn't make much sense that Evernote will allow linking into notes, but they won't allow linking out to other apps.

After 7 months of a whole lot of nothing, I decided to e-mail Evernote Support and point them to this thread. I doubt they even bothered reading it. I just received a canned response.

I guess that's what a Premium customer since day 1 is worth....

If anybody know of software that is as good as Evernote overall, but without limiting what we can link to, from our own notes (!!!), feel free to send me a PM :)

Archived