(Archived) Paste without Formatting vs as Plain Text

Ronixus

Idea

Hi,

Just curious about 2 things related to the Paste function.

There's a Paste Without Formatting and Paste as Plain Text in my Edit menu, what's the difference?

Cmd-V is pointing to Paste Without Formatting, instead of Paste.

Here's the screenshot:

post-112818-0-19123300-1353507116_thumb.

12 replies to this idea

Hi Ronixus,

1. What exact steps did you take to see this?

2. What is your system language?

3. What OS are you using?

4. What is your "Simplify formatting of pasted content" option set to?

Thanks!

Hi there, nice to hear from you.

1. I did nothing special, I simply slided down the Edit menu.

2. System language is English.

3. OS X 10.7.5

4. It is not checked.

You mean this has something to do with my Mac? Here are more inputs:

Behaviors:

Cmd-V pastes without formatting, but pastes Images.

Cmd-Shift-V pastes without formatting, won't paste images.

Right-click Paste and Edit Menu Paste pastes with formatting, and pastes images.

Mac Settings:

There are no shortcut overrides for Evernote in my keyboard preferences.

There is no global shortcut override for Paste.

post-112818-0-20620000-1353573928_thumb.

Thanks in advance for the support.

I tried to reinstall Evernote, it's still there.

How do I do a hard uninstall? It seems that the computer "remembers" my account, such that despite having a fresh installation, it's able to automatically log me in.

Hi @Jackolicious,

I removed Evernote using app cleaner and still the same: the newly installed application instantly opens my account, didn't even ask me to log in.

May have stumbled into something else here that probably merits further attention: how to reset the Mac client.

A regular delete doesn't do it, nor App Cleaner.

I feel that my shortcut problem will be fixed if only I can get a clean install.

• Level 5*

Hi @Jackolicious,

I removed Evernote using app cleaner and still the same: the newly installed application instantly opens my account, didn't even ask me to log in.

May have stumbled into something else here that probably merits further attention: how to reset the Mac client.

A regular delete doesn't do it, nor App Cleaner.

I feel that my shortcut problem will be fixed if only I can get a clean install.

I don't think I have ever had this happen, but it is conceivable that you have the password saved in your Keychain. Here are some instructions to follow for backup, uninstall, and reinstall. However, after uninstalling, but before reinstalling, go to Evernote on the web and change your password. See if this doesn't do the trick.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/16062-uninstalling-everrnote-for-mac-os-x/#entry173494

@GrumpyMonkey Tried it - the only difference is that it prompted me to login again during first launch, but the problem remains. :(

@GrumpyMonkey @Jackolicious

2 Questions:

1. Is the client setup stored somewhere in one's profile? If I login to another Evernote Mac Client, will it "remember" my personal preferences from my original Mac, or will it use the current computer's settings?

2. Does Evernote allow Mac overrides on the keyboard shortcuts? I could easily fix this if only I could assign a new shortcut key to the real Paste whose shortcut was "hijacked" by Paste Without Formatting. Apparently, assigning a new key to Paste doesn't work.

Sorry to be persistent, Paste is part of my core workflow and I find it troublesome without quick access to it. :(

Thank you in advance.

I get similar items with the alt/option key pressed, however I've not been able to get one that also includes the plain "Paste" at the same time as the other two. I'm new to Mac, so forgive me if I'm stating well-known/basic information, but my recent observations is that it is typical behavior in Mac apps that pressing/releasing alt/option with a menu open will toggle display of extended menu items. Without alt/option I have only "Paste (Cmd+V)" and "Paste As Plain Text (Shift+Cmd+V)". With alt/option I get "Paste Without Formatting (Alt+Cmd+V)" and "Paste As Plain Text (Alt+Shift+Cmd+V)".

I don't understand the original comment "Cmd-V doesn't have an assignment, but it works?" since the screenshot shows that Cmd-V is assigned to "Paste Without Formatting".

Some things that come to mind to experiment with:

1. Evernote preferences -> Formatting: At the bottom is: Paste (Cmd+V) -> Simplify formatting of pasted content

(I expected this to default to what I see in the menu with alt/option pressed, but it didn't)

2. Evernote preferences -> Shortcuts: Paste to Evernote: Ctrl+Cmd+V

(This is the default for me. It may be the "global" key assignment that was asked about)

3. System Settings -> Keyboard

(Seems you already have that well covered)

4. System Settings -> Universal Access

(Might explain why this recurs after reinstall. Perhaps "Sticky Keys" could be involved. Also check: System Settings -> Keyboard -> Universal Access)

Please report back if you try any of these. I'm interested to know the results.

[uPDATE]

I just encountered the difference between "Paste Without Formatting" and "Paste As Plain Text". Copying some richly formatted text from a webpage into Evernote gave the following results:

- Paste Without Formatting reduced the text to simple text in a single font and one size, however it retained the most basic text settings such as bold/italics/etc.

- Paste As Plain Text additionally stripped bold/italics.

I actually prefer that Evernote would have an option to set notes as plaintext so that I don't have to deal with formatting inconsistencies between the webapp, phone app, desktop app, etc. Without such a setting I've been using Paste As Plain Text as a compromise (with occasional formatting cleanup required, I think due to each of the apps using different default fonts, perhaps?). However, it looks like Paste Without Formatting will work better for me, as often underlining and bold and italicized words are the only non-plain text feature that I'd like to carry across when pasting.

Archived