Evernote Plug In for Outlook 2013

BrianK

I filed a support ticket yesterday (I'm a premium user). Here's what I got back:

Dear Valued Customer,Greetings,We're sorry for the inconvenience. As a policy, we donot support beta software. This is a drain on engineering resources, asthose products tend to change by the time they are released, causingmore and more additional coding work in orderto be compatible with our product.When Outlook 2013 is officially released to the public,we will support it. However, while it is still in pre-release mode, wewill not.Thank you, 

This has got to be one of the worst replies from a service desk that I have seen in a while.  Evernote is taking it upon themselves to deem general releases (Jan.29.13) as betas.  It's not.  Hell I can buy it online from the website and through HUP.

Service support fail. 

Hey, that's better than what they're telling us non-Premium members:

Dear Valued Customer,

We believe that the reinstalling latest Windows release may address the issue that you reported. Please go to:
File > Exit
Run the "Control Panel" application, then go to "Programs and Features" ("Add/Remove Programs" in Windows XP).
Uninstall Evernote.

Reboot your computer.

Download the current Windows client:
http://www.evernote.com/about/download/get.php?file=Win

Install as an Administrator, with Internet Explorer and Outlook (if present) closed during the installation process.

Let us know how this works for you.

Evernote Support

I just upgraded to Office 2013, and the Evernote Add-in to Outlook made it crash. Why has there been no news on this in months?

Um...the last post in this thread by an EN employee is dated 2/11/13. By my calculations, that's six days ago. Not "months".

Just installed Office 2013. BETA? - Really?  Are you serious? NOT SUPPORTED?

it's been out of "BETA" for months - and it's not exactly a marginal app.  Completely unacceptable reply.

When you CLAIM to produce a Mission-Critical app - and when people believe you (as I have), you have made a declaration to the market you must live up to. 

This is not an acceptable behavior for a firm that wants to be taken seriously.

PLEASE fix this.

^Carl.

I just upgraded to Office 2013, and the Evernote Add-in to Outlook made it crash. Why has there been no news on this in months?

Um...the last post in this thread by an EN employee is dated 2/11/13. By my calculations, that's six days ago. Not "months".

I don't know what's more annoying, bad support or shills & apologists who try to shout down anyone who voices a complaint.

• Level 5*

I don't know what's more annoying, bad support or shills & apologists who try to shout down anyone who voices a complaint.

Um, nobody is "shouting" anyone down.

For the folks who have had dealings with support, make sure that you get back to the support folks if you disagree about Outlook's beta status (I'm not really following Outlook any more, so I can't comment on that myself); if they're claiming that the reason that they're not supporting Outlook yet is because it's in beta, when it's not really, then they should stop claiming that. On the other hand, jbignert did say that they're working on it. Whether you think they should have finished by now is a moot point; if he says that they're working on it, then they are, from my experience.

Um, nobody is "shouting" anyone down.

For the folks who have had dealings with support, make sure that you get back to the support folks if you disagree about Outlook's beta status (I'm not really following Outlook any more, so I can't comment on that myself); if they're claiming that the reason that they're not supporting Outlook yet is because it's in beta, when it's not really, then they should stop claiming that. On the other hand, jbignert did say that they're working on it. Whether you think they should have finished by now is a moot point; if he says that they're working on it, then they are, from my experience.

Uh, jefito, sorry to be a grammar ***** but a point is only moot if it makes no difference.  The fact that Evernote should have fixed this problem by now is not a moot point, it's the whole point.

Maybe what's worse is inaccurate posts by new board members...??? And/or new board members who feel the need to be offended ("shouted down"...really???) when said posts are pointed out as incorrect.

Maybe what's worse is inaccurate posts by new board members...??? And/or new board members who feel the need to be offended ("shouted down"...really???) when said posts are pointed out as incorrect.

So my sin is being new (as opposed to someone who apparently lives to troll EN message boards)?  I could point out that I didn't make the claim that there had been no reply in months - that was MonteChristo.  I could also point out that you've offered no useful input, only ad hominem observations.  But the real point is that THE PRODUCT DOESN'T WORK.  (It's my ALL CAPS against your triple question marks).  If the product worked, there would be no need for us to waste our time.

• Level 5*

Uh, jefito, sorry to be a grammar ***** but a point is only moot if it makes no difference.  The fact that Evernote should have fixed this problem by now is not a moot point, it's the whole point.

Um, check your dictionary. "Moot" also means "debatable", or "open to discussion" as well as "doesn't make any difference" (http://www.dailywritingtips.com/are-you-sure-you-mean-moot/). Even so, it really doesn't make a lot of difference what you or I think about it, so that fits as well.

BTW, if you're thinking that you are a "grammar *****", then you might want to reconsider your choice of profession. If "moot" was misused, then that would be a semantic error, not a grammar error. The sentence was well-formed (i.e., grammatically correct; see e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_grammar); in your mind at least, the error was in the meaning of the word "moot" (i.e. semantically suspect; see e.g., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantics).

So anyways, aside from the nitpickery, I did actually have a suggestion there that might do some good. Carry on...

So my sin is being new (as opposed to someone who apparently lives to troll EN message boards)?  I could point out that I didn't make the claim that there had been no reply in months - that was MonteChristo.  I could also point out that you've offered no useful input, only ad hominem observations.  But the real point is that THE PRODUCT DOESN'T WORK.  (It's my ALL CAPS against your triple question marks).  If the product worked, there would be no need for us to waste our time.

No. Your "sin" is not reading/comprehending what's been posted.

sheesh. All of you, quit acting like children please (unless of course you are a child). 

My point (in my last post) was that the response from the Evernote support team was simply bad.  They call it a beta, however, you can now buy Office 2013 online: 

It is NOT a beta. It is available to consumers. 

The response I got back from Evernote after pointing out to them that it's not a beta was that they checked the Microsoft page and it says it's still a preview.  My guess is that they went to one of these older pages that was used for the preview program. 

• Level 5*

sheesh. All of you, quit acting like children please (unless of course you are a child).

My wife will confirm that there are days when this is true. :)

My point (in my last post) was that the response from the Evernote support team was simply bad.  They call it a beta, however, you can now buy Office 2013 online: 

<snip>

It is NOT a beta. It is available to consumers. 

<snip>

The response I got back from Evernote after pointing out to them that it's not a beta was that they checked the Microsoft page and it says it's still a preview.  My guess is that they went to one of these older pages that was used for the preview program.

The off-topic jousting aside, that's all I was aiming at, to make sure that the information got to the support folks. Hopefully dlu will take care of that.

Hi All,

Yesterday I received this from the support team.  still no estimate as to how soon the fix will come.... but at least they acknowledge "the confusion".

Dear Valued Customer, We apologize for any confusion caused, we are currently aware of the crashing problems in outlook 2013 with Evernote.Our engineers are currently working on resolving this issue.Thanks, Evernote Support 

Prerelease version of Evernote came out yesterday which includes the updated Outlook plugin.  You will have to manually enable the plugin in Outlook before it will work again unfortunately.

Now we can all go on with our lives...

You can visit http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/35243-evernote-for-windows-463-rc/ for the link to the download. Feedback is greatly appreciated

With the recent Evernote update, I'm able to go in and activate through Outlook 2013 64 bit "COM add-ins" by turning the checkbox on, and the Evernote button appears, and works, as folks are starting to report.

But if I close Outlook 2013 and then start it again, the add-in (and button) are gone again, I have to re-do the manual activation all over again. Not sure why (other activated add-ins are sticky and working, meaning, the checkbox/add-in stays active, even after restart).

I'll fiddle with it more later tonight, meanwhile, anybody find an easy solution to get it to stick?

Over here, gopher_2013 also reporting it's resolved:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/officeitpro/thread/3a46c326-b336-4ec9-a0e7-58905064260e/#0f3bef9d-caf8-4a3f-a02f-8aff00c4ccce

but unclear to me if that person is a 32 bit or 64 bit Outlook 2013 user.

• 2 months later...

With the recent Evernote update, I'm able to go in and activate through Outlook 2013 64 bit "COM add-ins" by turning the checkbox on, and the Evernote button appears, and works, as folks are starting to report.

But if I close Outlook 2013 and then start it again, the add-in (and button) are gone again, I have to re-do the manual activation all over again. Not sure why (other activated add-ins are sticky and working, meaning, the checkbox/add-in stays active, even after restart).

I, too, have to keep enabling it every time I open Outlook 2013 64-bit. Did your fiddling ever result in success?

• 1 month later...

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but when I enable the com plug in I never see the evernote button appear to add the calendar appointments or emails to evernote. 

I did see there is support for 32bit Outlook 2013, but still not for 64 bit.  Does anyone know when we can expect support for Outlook 2013 64 bit?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I can confirm it is working on my end! Thanks guys!

Hi Senoui,

I cannot comprehend: I have exactly the same problem as you reported in another thread some time ago: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/35243-evernote-for-windows-463-rc/?p=191196. I'm running Outlook 2013 64bit on Win7, 64bit and get the same "not a valid add in" / "runtime error" messages as you reported there. I'm running the most recent public version 5.0.1.1188 of Evernote.

How did you fix it? Or anyone else?

Thanks!

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

I, too, have to keep enabling it every time I open Outlook 2013 64-bit. Did your fiddling ever result in success?

I am having exactly the same issue. If I go to the Com add-in and check the tick box then the plug-in is present for the session. However, if I shut down outlook and reopen it the plug-in is again missing. Also, the plug-in does not always work the button is there but it is greyed out. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get this to work and to stay working?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It's now Jan 2014, and I'm still having Evernote support telling me is doesn't work with Outlook 2013.  The problem with that statement is that it is working on one of my computers with Outlook 2013, just not on the other!!!

It's not like Office 2013 is still new or Beta!!!

• 1 month later...

Wow, so it's February 2014, the problem has been ongoing more than a year and guess what, I still can't use the Evernote add-in for Outlook 2013.

Let me get this straight:

1. You tell us, that you won't make an add-in for a Beta. Fair enough.

2. Then Office 2013 actually comes out and can be purchased by the public, support says it's still Beta. Not so fair enough.

3. Continually reassured about how much work you people put in to it and that your engineers are working on it.

4. February 2014, over a year and half since this thread was started, and Office 2013 was released over a year ago...

...and still no fix. What the hell?????

I tried both on 32-bit and 64-bit and when I select more than a few emails, outlook simply crashes, although sometimes it does what it's supposed to do. I really can't figure this out. As I've read, it works for some and not for others. I think it should work for all, especially when we're using Outlook 2013.

• 6 months later...

It worked automatically for a few months after I installed Evernote in Spring 2014 on my Windows 7 64 bit desktop.  At some point the .dll behavior changed to unloaded.  Now I have to go back in to make the add-in for Evernote active every time I close Outlook.  It doesn't crash Outlook (Office 365) but it doesn't "remember" to load the plug-in.  I thought perhaps with the new Evernote version I upgraded to this morning might have fixed this issue but it still remains! :(

• 10 months later...

Archived