(Archived) EN Stops Processing my Import Folder

I have EN setup with a couple of Import Folders which direct to a Local Notebook.

Why is it that when I hit my monthly allowance EN stops importing?

I would think that since the Import Folder points to a Local Notebook I should be able to import an unlimited amount of files from that folder and then move them to a Synchronized Notebook as my allowance permits.

Thanks!

• Level 5*

I had a bad experience a while back when I hit my account limit and my carefully crafted archiving system fell apart rather completely - can't remember though how that affected my imports to local-only notebooks. Unless someone more knowledgeable wants to weigh in with a different theory, I'd guess the import folder process gets stopped because you have more than one folder and the non-local folder stuff can't be processed, so nothing gets through. The work around (obviously) is to drag and drop the files manually, but you might want to change the title of this post to a Request: so that a dev will look at it and maybe add it to the wish list for a future review..

There is a rather simple workaround to the problem, which I always remember too late, and that is to never quite hit the allowance. This would work well for me since I am a very sporadic up-loader and I always hit my limit near the end of the month during a mass import of all the junk that has been accumulating on my desk.

Trouble is, I always forget about this problem until I've dragged the last little file that will fit, over to my Synchronized inbox.

Thankfully, this usually happens on the last day of my Allowance period so files only accumulate for a day or two. Still ...

• Level 5*

If you're not a premium subscriber, you could consider joining for a month to get a higher standard limit - might get two birds with one stone; clear last month's backlog and avoid another this month. If you are a premium subscriber don't forget you can add extra capacity for a heavy month if necessary...

I'm really just interested to know if this is by design, and if there is another workflow that will avoid the problem all together. But it appears to have sparked no interest from the developers.

Are these forums monitored by anyone from EN?

• Level 5*

EN staff read the forums, and fairly frequently respond to queries; but it can take a while to get any reaction. As I said, I'd guess this is a safety feature, meant to protect you and your data, originally designed back in a day when everything was synced back to the mothership. If things then changed to allow local-only accounts, the basic architecture of the process may not have been updated to allow some local activity even when the monthly limit has been reached. (And the monthly limits have changed a bit too..)

I'd be fairly confident that there's no 'work around' that will allow the folders to continue to operate - the upload limit is a fairly serious roadblock to all activity, full stop. (Pun not exactly intended).

It doesn't seem like a catastrophic fail however - you can save any suspended data by manual transfers, or continue transferring by upgrading your limits.

It may even be that it's not particularly easy to determine if the notebook being imported to is local or sync'd & therefore was not considered a high priority at the time.

AND...it may not be experienced by a lot of people b/c I think most people try not to hit the upload limit. I know I try to leave a bit of wiggle room for emails that are auto forwarded or if I'm really wanting to add something before the cycle resets.

• Level 5*
But it appears to have sparked no interest from the developers.

Are these forums monitored by anyone from EN?

Yes, Evernote staff appear to read every post, but do not always respond (imagine if you were paying a developer to develop, and they were spending a lot of time doing what is essentially tech support). We appreciate it like mad when they do contribute, but I for one don't expect it. Essentially, this is a user forum. If you do actually want official Evernote support, you can always open a support request.

Archived