(Archived) Parsing out a hyperlink when sent by email?

When an occasion arises that I need to clip a web page while browsing with an iPad, I try either the Evernote bookmarklet or ipad's native "send link by email". Of course, I prefer the former but sometimes it doesn't work for reasons I don't know.

So, when a link to a webpage is being sent via the evernote proprietary email address, wouldn't it make more sense if Evernote parsed out the link and clipped the contents of the webpage instead of the link itself?

• Level 5*

Ideas are always worth raising for discussion, but I'd imagine this would be difficult technically - an email client has to 'read' the address, then visit the link, display a page and copy it? Emailing and browsing are very different activities, and what about those pesky pages that are just logins, or flash animations - and those that actually contain video files... Even if a copy could be obtained reliably, the resulting email might be very large.

Ideas are always worth raising for discussion, but I'd imagine this would be difficult technically - an email client has to 'read' the address, then visit the link, display a page and copy it? Emailing and browsing are very different activities, and what about those pesky pages that are just logins, or flash animations - and those that actually contain video files... Even if a copy could be obtained reliably, the resulting email might be very large.

Well, I wasn't thinking that the email client would do the job of parsing out the link. The Evernote server can do it. As it already stands, doesn't Evernote server already do it when you clip a webpage or render a webpage into a Cleraly view? In the same manner, when the Evernote server receives an email from the user with a single link to a website address, it can parse out the hyperlink and store the contents instead of the link itself.

• Level 5*

If you have a look next time you use Clearly, the overlay gets added to the page you're viewing in real time in your own browser so I still don't think this is technically feasible - at least at the moment. Still, you've raised the thought and its recorded here - the next Dev that grazes on by might still take it on board. :)

Archived